Excel and databases

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
So here is my task. I need to create an event tracking database. Actually there will be two databases. Data input will be via a form. I need flexibility in terms of producing reports with any field possible.

Can I just use the Excel Template Wizard for the task, or is there something more powerful that I should get to grips with. It's a quick and dirty job.

Thanks, Pradeep.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I would use MS Access. You can create a table and it will create a form for data input for you. Then you can customize this form to your needs. If you know how to program in VB/VBA then you can customize how the form works for you needs. If you need to look at a MS Access database that does this kind of thing then let me know.

Access can create reports, or you can use something like Crystal Reports for a more powerful reports tool.

An even better solution is to create an application in VB or any other software package and then link it with your database of choice. Then use report software to create the custom reports that you need.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
If you need any help let me know, I've done a lot of work with Access in the past and can probably help you with any problems you might encounter.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I just ordered an Action Pack sub for work, so MS Access it will be.

Thanks all.

*Damn Excel and it's 32 field form limit*

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Mercutio said:
I would recommend Foxpro.

MDB files are too easy to screw up.

FoxPro might be more powerful and better written then Access, but it isn't easily portable because no one uses it anymore. Plus, it uses some dBase derived programming language that I don't know. MDBs aren't as easily corruptible if you don't go adding a bunch of forms, reports, queries, etc. If you just use the MDB as a data container and then access it using a regular VB app or any other Windows app that you write the chances of it becoming corrupted is negligible.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Well I got all excited and was recalling my Access skillz, when the CEO announced that we were going to outsource the whole lot. Oh well. Apparently it's all going to be web-integrated so we can check status whilst sunning ourselves on a tropical island. At least my spec sheet will be useful for the developers.

Just setting up a shiny new Canon 1Ds-MkII now. Let's see what 16Mp can do for text quality....

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm looking at doing something similar, setting up an intranet just for handling helpdesk calls. Anyone have a free, pre-made solution? Hosting it via IIS is a must, tying into either MSDE or Access would be ideal.

ddrueding

Fixture
Just grabbed "Zen Help Desk" (the first link) and had it up and running in about 1 minute. It was fully customised 10 minutes later. I love CSS.

Thanks Handy!