Evidently, I will be buying a $100 sound card in 2005

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
For those of you not following, the important bit of product info here is "8CH audio single chip with Dolby Digital Live Real-Time Contents Encoder"

In other words, I can do something with the three Asus A7N8X and two A7N266s (the only boards that actually had a full soundstorm implementation) I've been hoarding against the failure of the ones I'm using.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Mercutio said:
I can do something with the three Asus A7N8X and two A7N266s (the only boards that actually had a full soundstorm implementation) I've been hoarding against the failure of the ones I'm using.

Hoarding? If you want more A7N8X boards, I can get them easily (my disti has over 100 in stock).

Mercutio

Buck said:
Hoarding? If you want more A7N8X boards, I can get them easily (my disti has over 100 in stock).

There was a time, maybe a year ago, that A7N266s were available everywhere, cheap and plentiful. And then they all disappeared, almost overnight. Same thing has happened with other favorite boards of mine, like the GA-7VAXP and the GA-7S748N.

Lesson learned: If I sell more than four or five of a motherboard, buy an extra and set it aside.

Gilbo

Storage is cool
ddrueding said:
How much are 50' toslink cables these days?
Knowing the markup on cables, if I were you, I wouldn't want to know.

Oh, and Mercutio that does look like a solid sound card. Sadly, I doubt Linux support for the Dolby Digital encoding feature will ever exist. One day we will be first class citizens...

Mercutio

About $50.

Normally it's much cheaper to use a coaxial SPDIF connection instead. 50' of 75-ohm coax with an RCA jack on either end is usually 1/5 that price, even from the kinds of places that want to rape you for cables.

The other part of that if you're so far away from your 5.1 surround source, the immersiveness very obviously going to muted or nonexistant.

Mercutio

To borrow a word from Tannin: Shonk.

MIPS is a term that gets thrown around a lot by Marketers who don't know what else to say about a processor. There might've been a time when it meant something useful, but everyone really interested in figuring out how powerful a CPU is looks at objective benchmarks instead (e.g. Whetstones or the like). The very fact that Creative is talking about how absurdly powerful their latest chip sets off alarm bells in my mind.

Anyway, the realtime Dolby Digital 5.1 is the feature I want, need and have to have. I'm sure there's a prosumer somewhere who looks down his nose at everyone who doesn't have a $500 Maya or Terratec device handling sound, but all I can say is, DD5.1 makes the best use of a surround sound setup of anything that I have heard, and Creative ain't got it.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I bought one, can't wait till it gets here, my Game Theater XP is on it's last legs (no sound every other boot). I couldn't see spending money on creative products and this one brings something no one else has to the table.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
What about my 25% discount from Creative from their class-action lawsuit? My opinion - Still not worth buying creative...

Mercutio

I should've sprung for overnight shipping. :(

Actually the fact that there's a daughterboard for Digital inputs is even more lust-inducing, now that I think about it.

Drool.

I haven't been this excited about a PCI card since I got my Orchid Righteous3D.

Is it wrong to have impure thoughts about a sound card?
I'll leave that question to the philosophers.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
You would think some other companies would catch on, this chipset has been out for a while right? There are cards all over the place based on the normal C-Media CMI8768 chipset.

Ted

What is this storage?
MaxBurn said:
You would think some other companies would catch on, this chipset has been out for a while right? There are cards all over the place based on the normal C-Media CMI8768 chipset.

It's all in the + ;)

Actually, after reading this thread and Mercutio's other thread about 939 boards, I spent the last few hours researching this card and from all accounts its a very good card, so much so I parted with the cash and bought one. :)

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
This thread has been following the progress of this card sense it first showed up for marketing testing on ebay:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=511204&page=9&pp=30

Ted: what I meant is that the chipset is out and we don't have any announcements from other companies that they will make a product based on it. I am not to sure that HDA's driver support will be any good with only one recent release for bugfixes and there still being problems with that driver apparently.

Ted

What is this storage?
MaxBurn said:
Boxshot: http://scottjal.ath.cx/ebay/Mystique/IMG_0291.JPG

Looks like they are touting the replaceable chips as an upgrade.

Unfortunately I do have the poping sounds though. This might be a deal breaker.

I can't say I've experienced any popping sounds yet but I have experienced the card dropping sound very briefly via SPDIF coaxial when in DD5.1 as if the coax cable has a bad connection. It hasn't done this while it is in direct pass through with DTS so I suspect the card rather than cable.

It has a couple of other annoying quirks with the way it interacts and changes/loses settings in Windows upon a reboot but ideally in this day and age one shouldn't be needing to reboot a PC very often so I can live with it.

The ability to swap out the OPAMPs with better quality ones from such as Burr Brown is an interesting and appealing idea. I haven't as yet found an online source that sells such so have no idea what the cost to achieve such would be and whether its finacially viable.

Having not seen or read any serious testing reviews which might give some account of the cards quality other than from a listeners perceptual abilities its hard to decide whether swapping the OPAMPS is even warranted yet. I have noticed a little bit of background hiss in the rears when in DD5.1 so perhaps the better quality OPAMPs would alleviate this? I have no idea.

The cards drivers definately have room for improvement so hopefully they wont leave us out in the cold without updated drivers too much longer.

My PC with card is attached to a Denon AVR-2805 using Australian made Accusound speakers of various models across the channels. I was relatively happy with the onboard Realtec ALC-850 codec on the system but having bought this card I can now hear what I was missing. For the most part I'm happy with the purchase. :)

Ted

What is this storage?
MaxBurn said:
This thread has been following the progress of this card sense it first showed up for marketing testing on ebay:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=511204&page=9&pp=30

Ted: what I meant is that the chipset is out and we don't have any announcements from other companies that they will make a product based on it. I am not to sure that HDA's driver support will be any good with only one recent release for bugfixes and there still being problems with that driver apparently.

I got what you meant, hence the wink ;)

Perhaps other potential companies are waiting for the C-Media drivers to mature. From what I've read most bug complaints are referred back to C-Media so I'm unsure of exactly how much driver development is being preformed by HDA themselves?. I'm sure quite a few are watching the uptake of the HDA card with interest though.

Mercutio

I just got around to putting mine in last night.
I am a happy camper. It does exactly what it's supposed to do, and minor driver annoyances aside, it does it well.

More review-age later.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I went back one driver revision to what was shipped on the CD for it and I have been enjoying it also.

I did notice that in some instances it has been bass heavy like the avs forums noted.

I havn't used the digital out to the stereo yet, waiting till I move and turn this machine into a HTPC.

Mercutio

Of what? It's a card in a PC.

Mostly I'm interested in how well this thing spreads sound out across my speaker set.

A couple of things I can say now that I've run some CDs through it: It mixes heavily for bass and rather less than Soundstorm did for the center channel. This is highly apparent when listening to solo/acoustic music. I had a WTF moment when I popped in a Nina Simone CD and heard "Black Swan" (soprano and piano only) distinctly from left and right front (just like it was 2ch. PCM) rather than center speaker.

Since my speakers are timbre-matched that's gotta be something the card is doing. I kind-of fixed things by bumping the center channel volume (+7 to the center sounds better to me) and by nudging down the volume on my sub.

On the other hand, Previn conducting "Mars, Bringer of War" sounds positively apocalyptic across at least the front channels.

I'm using wack-ass expensive RS Audio coaxial cables (hand-me-downs from my brother) connected to an Onkyo TX-NR801 receiver (this is my bedroom system). I doubt the quality of the cable makes a difference - with digital you either get a signal or you don't, but all I've been doing for the last four hours is listening to music and DVDs and I haven't heard any pops or interruptions in sound at all. If I can find a crummy set of RCA cables or a long enough TOSLink cable I'll try those later, to see if I can make pops or interruptions.

I left the Via Envy enabled on the PC in question and took turns listening to the Prologic II and DD5.1 mix by fiddling with the default playback device in control panel. The Envy is LOUDER by far - I judge that I get similar volume levels at "35" on my receiver for the Envy and "45" for the Mystique. If anything PrologicII on my receiver overemphasizes the center to the expense of left and right front (Nina on "Black Swan" and her piano both come solidly from center - the woofers on my left and right speaker barely even move); I'd call the Mystique more immersive/convincing for multi-instrument material. I haven't completely made up my mind if I'm sold on it for solo voice.

If I get *really* motivated I'll either carry my 90lb. HTserver into my bedroom or put together another machine with an A7N8X so I can compare the Mystique to Soundstorm.

Driver bugs? I had to turn the main mixer volume control back up when I rebooted. This PC gets rebooted maybe once a month. I think I can live with that. I'm still using the drivers from the install CD.

Mercutio

And of course, 10 seconds after I get done typing the above, the power to the whole PC cut out as surely as if I'd unplugged its UPS. Coincidence? Maybe. But I went ahead and upgraded its PSU from a 400W HEC to a 480W Thermaltake unit.

Mercutio

No pops or interruptions when using TOSLink (found one in the box the card came in!) or crummy (I'm talking an 18-gauge, 50 foot long wad of cable, here) coax.

Maybe it's an analog thing.

Also, I sent an email to bluegears about the availability of the digital I/O daughterboard. Got a reply maybe 20 minutes later, saying that the first shipments were expected within two weeks.

Ted

What is this storage?
MaxBurn said:
I could have sworn that the HDA-X10 was already available. My understanding is it was created a while ago to go with some of the Audigy cards as a cheap add on. After a quick search I can't find it being sold anywhere though.

http://mdman.net/shop/product_detail.php?pid=1518&pcate=16
Sound Blaster universal IO

The HDA-X10 is available. I can't say for sure its available where you live, but its readily available in Australia as I bought one. Its not cheap however as it cost me AU $60 plus postage.

Seems it is intended for other cards or at least a version of it is. I can make out references to sounblaster audigy etc on the box but most of it is covered with a sticker which states "DIGITAL I/O HDA-X10 FOR X-MYSTIQUE 7.1 GOLD"
So perhaps there is slight model variation between the one intended for Mystique and those for soundblaster?

On a side note the sound dropping out/interuptions I mentioned earlier have stopped so it must have been some unknown glitch thats corrected itself.

I've played quite a few hours of 2 channel .avi/xvid TV episodes remixed to DD 5.1 Live now and the card seems to be behaving with no further sound dropouts.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
This fixed all my problems with this sound card, drivers are dated a day or so ago:

Dear X-Mystique 7.1 Gold User.

Hello.

FIrst of all thanks for choosing our products.
My name is Park. I'm a manager for planning part. .

However we released new beta 2 WDM driver.
Please visit our website for it.

http://www.hidiaudio.com/download/index.html

Release note;

- Improved DDL digital output during gaming like HALO, Far Cry, Brothers in Arms
- EAX function and hardware acceleration enable on HALO
- Directsound hardware voice to 64
- Romoval pop noise during application program

Thanks.

Best regards
Park.

Mercutio

I am willing to pay large amount of money for an HDA X10, if anyone out there in SFland happens to see them somewhere.

Handruin

Administrator
Have you used the x-mystique with a variety of games? If so, does it work fine?

Mercutio

I've used it for City of Heroes and a tiny amount of Doom 3. No complaints.
I'm not the right person to judge how well it works for that, since I barely play games any more.

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Merc,

What is the difference between the X Raider and the X Plosion in terms of who they're marketed for? The cards' specs don't say much on what kind of user would want them.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Groltz said:
Merc,

What is the difference between the X Raider and the X Plosion in terms of who they're marketed for? The cards' specs don't say much on what kind of user would want them.

The X-Plosion adds these features over the XRaider:

# Swappable dual DIP type OPAMP controlled preamp circuit (4pcs output control OPAMP IC with DIY socket, 2pcs MIC input control OPAMP IC with DIY socket)
# Max 2.8Vrms full swing analog output gain by unique preamp circuit / incredible powerful analog output, improve dynamic range / SNR
# Proper OPAMP control circuit (+8V, -8V dual power supply circuit) for high quality audio quality, prevent audio distortion at high volume level

Looks like higher quality analog output is what it adds, similar to the X-Mystique. Everything else looks the same feature wise on their page there.

For those interested in gaming I have not found any faults with the X-Mystique in most of the modern FPS games. The EAX 2.0 sounds pretty nice positionally. The newer drivers solved my problems mentioned way above and I have been happy with it. I still have not had the opportunity to try out the dolby live implementation, computer is still in a separate room and I'm not feeling like a big enough geek to move it to the living room where the home theater is.