DVD Shrink 3.1.1 Released

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The big question is "why"?

dvdshrink is a program I would gladly pay for. Unlike other, crappier DVD-stealing programs, it does what it advertises without hiccups or bugs. No outcry has been made of its author's legal troubles (does he have any?) nor has anyone solicited for donations.

Why stop such a beautiful thing?

Handruin

Administrator
That's sad to hear they are stopping development. Maybe someone else can take over?

I'm giving it a shot right now to see how well this version works.

Handruin

Administrator
Wow...after using it, I'd pay for it also. I plopped a DVD-R in the drive, pointed DVD Shrink to a rip I made of a test DVD using DVD Decrypter and the end result was a perfect movie on a single DVD-R. There wasn't any extremely noticible quality issues either.

Two thumbs up. :thumbleft: :thumbleft:

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks for that SteveC. After Merc waxed lyrical, I downloaded it immediately, and now Doug has confirmed that with a review.

Eggcellent heads-up! :flower:

Handruin

Administrator
I have to also point out I had Nero 5.5 installed, so the burning process was transparent with this tool.

I could play this movie to a group of people and they would never know it was a compressed copy. In some cases the backgrounds had more noise than I would expect from a DVD, but it wasn't anything severe. I bet if I had a hi-def TV, that the quality would be more apparent. I can also allow DVD Shrink to run the deep scan, which I did not do in my backup last night.

The sound seemed fine, I don't recall if DVD Shrink mucks with the audio too much.

I'll probably be making another backup soon to confirm this is a nice tool. I'll spend more time analyzing the quality differences.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
DVD Shrink doesn't do anything with the audio streams, it can only strip out ones you don't want. Good thing too. I only notice a loss of quality when it is a really big movie, for example Forrest Gump etc. Others that are only slightly over 4.5GB have no apparent quality loss.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I think I like the 3.5 Beta better than the 3.1 series. The new ones don't do selectable compression the same way as the older ones. :(