dSLR thread

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Any new Canon 500/4 would be around $10-12K. ,, Pricks will never decrease. :(

The price premium moving from a Nikkor 500/5.6 to a 500/4 PF is huge. Like 2.9x the price for one stop of light. Plus sharper in corners, touch faster focus, better build quality, etc.

If the 500/5.6 PF is $3600, I 'm guessing the 600/5.6 PF will be $4200-4600.

Rumor is the 500/5.6 PF is back-ordered because Nikon can't make enough of the PF elements to keep up with production demands. Nikon has not shipped a new "E-version" of their 300/2.8 that they will need for the Olympics in 2020. The 600/5.6 PF and 300/2.8e will probably share the same front element so if Nikon ramps up production for their 300/2.8e, and increases production of PF elements they should be able to fulfill demand for PF telephoto lenses.

Nikon is blowing it big time as there is "huge" demand for their 500/5.6 PF lens. And with Canon probably abandoning the 7D camera line for mirrorless, Nikon could have convinced some Canon or would be Canon amateur/advanced action/wildlife shooters to switch to Nikon just for the 500/5.6 PF lens. A new Canon lens (in this quality range) over 400mm is $9k. Well maybe $7k if you go 400/4 DO + 1.4x TC.

Now if Nikon can actually ship a 600/5.6 PF, in decent quantity at a non-stupid price this summer.........................and finally ship the firmware to give the D5/D500/D850 the ability to use/read/write to CFex (Cfast Express) cards then things will look up the a advanced amateur looking to get into sports/action/wildlife but can't quite afford 500/4 or 600/4 glass. Yep, Nikon blew it. If the 500/5.6 PF came out in quantity early last year.....

I'm still kicking myself for not picking up the D500 ($1700 regular price) when they were on sale last time. $1600 for a D500 + Nikon MB-D17 battery grip. ($367) + Flashpoint TTL Li-ion flash ($179). Current sale is $1500 for D500 body only and expires June 1.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
The buffer in my D610 is tiny. Definitely not a sports/action/wildlife camera. Only 10 RAW+JPG shots and buffer is full. Then a long wait for the buffer to clear. I have two, 95 MB/s write speed, Sandisk Extreme Pro SD cards. I'm writing in BACKUP mode, basically RAID-1, to both SD card slots. If I just shoot RAW to each card slot I still only have a 10 image buffer, so I just go ahead and shoot RAW+JPG. Browsing a bunch of JPG files is faster than browsing RAW files. JPG only give me a 22 image buffer.

Looks like Sandisk makes UHS-1, 150 and 170 MB/s and UHS-2 300 MB/s SD cards but I doubt my D610 will take advantage of them.

I'm probably going to get a monopod soon as holding a D610+grip+200-500 lens gets heavy.

- Sirui P-326 Carbon Fiber Monopod.
- Oben BE-117 Ball Head.
or
- Sirui L-10 Monopod Tilt Head.

A monopod will be more flexible and I'll be able to more around better Vs a tripod/gimbal head. And a lot cheaper too.

Last edited:

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Nikons will move to the the awful mILF as well. Your buffer will clear faster when shooting only RAw vs. RaW+JPeg

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Nikons will move to the the awful mILF as well. Your buffer will clear faster when shooting only RAw vs. RaW+JPeg

MILCs are awful. MILFs are the opposite of awful. ;) Anyways, I guess I could experiment shooting RAW+JPG vs RAW and time buffer clearing but either way the buffer is still only 10 frames so time saved waiting for buffer to clear might not be worth it. I'm trying to keep my "bursts" to only 2 or 3 frames to prevent having a full buffer so I can keep shooting if the birdie is doing something interesting.

LunarMist

Well, you know what I meant. ;)
Anyways, the buffer size is only part of the equation. Unless you are uncoordinated or have a D5/D500, etc. and are lazy, it's normal to shoot in bursts. What matters most of the time for wildlife is the throughput, i.e. the FPS prior to buffer full and also FPS after buffer full.
Determine the number of frames in the first minute for RaW+JP{EG VS. jpEG.

LunarMist

Sony announced the 200-600 last week. It's only $2000 so IQ potential is questionable. We'll see if it it sharp up to at least 500mm.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Canon 5DSR $1704. ebay.

Nikon D810 $1997. B&H, etc...

Nikon D5 $500 off, $5997. B&H, etc...

Perhaps both hi-res cameras will be discontinued early next year. D810 already replaced with the D850 and Canon will probably go mirrorless for the "5DSR mark II" model.

And of course the D6 and 1DXiii are coming late 2019, early 2020.

I've waited so long for the D500 replacement, but now it's not coming. Nikon previously said they wanted to go "upscale" and leave the low-end for smartphones, but, but, but, why update the D7500 and not the D500?!? By update I mean to update to another DSLR, not a MILC. D5 and D750 make sense to update. D850 won't need update for another 2+ years and by then MILCs will be good enough. But no D500 update? :(

tl;dr
to be updated
~~~~~~~~~
D6. 2020 Olympics, IN JAPAN, are coming and MILCs are not ready yet.
D860. No rush, why mention an update?
D760. Popular and good selling camera despite recalls, wedding shooter workhorse, of course update.
D7500 WHY OH WHY update this lower end camera? Good sales maybe?

NO update
~~~~~~~
D3500 & D5600 series. Makes sense. Z 5 or Z 4 MILC for these models.
D500 Flagship DX camera. Along with cheap 200-500mm lens=great combo. D500 should be updated.

I hope this "No D500 update" rumor was floated to get the fence-sitters to just go ahead and buy the D500 NOW. Hopefully a D560 will come out along with the D6 just like in 2016.

Last edited:

LunarMist

People are nuts about rumors, many of which are inaccurate or never come to pass.
I would expect the D500 to be replaced by the MILC variety.
The D7500 was a step down from the D7200 to separate it further from the D500 just as the D60 was a step down from the D50 after the 7D.

LunarMist

The 90D is to be announced next week. 32.3 MP in a 1.6 crop is rather high res to say the least :eek: so we shall see what level of noise exists at medium to high ISOs.

Stereodude

Not really a
The 90D is to be announced next week. 32.3 MP in a 1.6 crop is rather high res to say the least :eek: so we shall see what level of noise exists at medium to high ISOs.
Canon has been hitting them with the cripple hammer. We'll have to wait to see the extend of the nerfing.

LunarMist

You mean that some people will not like it because it isn't a S*NY 1.5x EVF with the dirty sensors, no battery life, and the other limitations for wildlife? Canon will have some EVF croppers soon enough. ;)
The 90D should be a substantial upgrade over the 80D, which is it's purpose. I'm not sure about the sensor noise yet, and hope it has no AA filter or a very weak one. At the usual price it would be easy enough to throw in the luggage as a 4th body. If the 90D is really good it might be a 3rd body, but I would not count on that.

Stereodude

Not really a
You mean that some people will not like it because it isn't a S*NY 1.5x EVF with the dirty sensors, no battery life, and the other limitations for wildlife? Canon will have some EVF croppers soon enough. ;)
No, I mean how Canon has watered down the video features. Like removing p24 video. And how they're still being stingy with their "4K" by not employing full sensor read out oversampling.

LunarMist

These are the specs. I have little idea what it means, but I'd not consider using it for any kind of video.
I wish they would make a version without video at all and use the button for something else.

Movie Type
MP4
MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 (variable averaged bit rate)
Audio: AAC/Linea PCM
Movie Size
4K (3840 x 2160) Uncropped/Cropped29.97 fps
Full HD (1920 x 1080) 119.88 fps
HD (1280 x 720) 59.94 fps
HDR (1920 x 1080) 29.97 fps
Movie Length
Max duration 29min 59sec, Max file size 4GB (If file size exceeds 4GB a new file will be created automatically)

Stereodude

Not really a
Canon seems to want to fall further and further behind their competitors. Using the same slow roll strategy of slow plodding deliberate upgrades that was used for years (decades?) [when the market was growing] doesn't seem like a great strategy when the market is in a death spiral of contraction instead and your competitors are grabbing for marketshare in any way they can.

LunarMist

I think Canon has decided to put effort into the R system now, which is slowing the process of updating the better cameras.

I don't think they will make too much goofy gear to increase the market. They are already planning for other types of products rather than consumer cameras.

Sony is still semi-sextile. It's getting better, but still a myriad of lenses are like 1960s or 1970s. It's 2019 and no 500mm lens is ludicrous.

LunarMist

I'm not seeing anything unusual. It's an xxD, not a 1D series. :LOL:
I'd prefer no AA filter and a GPS receiver instead of the insecure Wi-Fi and Blu-tooth, but the consumers enjoy giving out their images to anyone. ;)

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
As expected the D6 "announcement" was simply a press release stating that Nikon is working on a D6. No information.

However...

Nikon also announced a new lens: Nikkor AF-S 120-300mm f/2.8E FL ED SR VR lens. Wonder what the "SR" in the name refers to?

LunarMist

Nikon already has far too many prefixes/suffixes already. There is only one 120-300/2.8 expected at this point.
Maybe SR means stupidity reduction. You turn it on and take much better photos. :ROFLMAO::LOL::D

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
If "VR" is vibration reduction maybe "SR" refers to "sound reduction?" Silent focus during video shooting?

Nikon never updated their 300/2.8 or 200/2 to "E" versions so perhaps the 120-300/2.8 is the update instead of those two new primes.

LunarMist

200/2 is a unique lens. f/2.8 is not the same.

The 90D is out and about. I'm not sure about the CR3 compressed files.

LunarMist

Why, do you want one? 12 mm is not so crazy wide compared to other lenses already and one would expect a shorter Z mount lens to be better with the shorter backfocus.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Why, do you want one? 12 mm is not so crazy wide compared to other lenses already and one would expect a shorter Z mount lens to be better with the shorter backfocus.

I made the mistake of buying the: 16-35/4, 105/2.8, 50/1.4; the last two I very rarely use. I should have just bought a 14-24/2.8 instead. So yes I'm interested in an updated ultra-wide lens. Would have preferred a 12-24/2.8 lens but I'd be happy with a 12mm prime.

The widest, non-fisheye, NIKKOR, F-mount lens is 14mm. So 12mm would be crazy wide for a NIKKOR F-mount. Not interested in third-party lens.

And yes there will probably be a sub-12mm Z-mount lens in the future.

LunarMist

Most people have a 24-70 and 70-200 of some sort even if they have primes.
The problem with the ultra-wides is the perspective deteriorates rapidly when not level.
I prefer the TS/E, Nikkor PC, etc. lenses even if they are not as wide. Shift-stitching is also possible for static subjects to increase the FOV easily without the usual stitching problems.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
The less post-processing work I can do the better. I sux at it. So I'd rather shoot a 12mm image and worry about perspective issues than shoot multiple 50mm images and stitch them together.

The widest, non-fisheye, NIKKOR, F-mount lens is 14mm.

I should have added the qualifier "FX, full frame lens" when mentioning widest lens as Nikon does make 10mm DX, APS-C crop zooms. And even wider CX lenses.

But anyways, if I had money to burn I'd like a 12/2.8e, 19/4pce and 28/1.4e Nikkor primes for landscape work. Those would be modern, updated primes with roughly evenly spaced fields-of-view of 112, 87, 65 degrees.

And if Nikon ever updated their crap 50mm prime that would be the next logical step as well.

LunarMist

There are plenty of 50mm options for Nikon.
Why would you use a fast prime like a 28/1.4 for landscapes? Is it really the best choice in that FL?

LunarMist

Canon will add the 24p videos to the 90D via firmware. It's so stupid.

Stereodude

Not really a
Canon will add the 24p videos to the 90D via firmware. It's so stupid.
Yes, the idea that Canon thought they could get away with omitting it was quite stupid. Enough of the right people complained loudly enough for them to repent of their "genius" marketing strategy.

Just think of all the lost Cinema camera sales these updates will cost them!

LunarMist

It's stupid that people still want that archaic blurry/jerky 24FPS look from like 80-90 years ago.

LunarMist

When I'm back in the US at home we have the Fibros.
Mostly DVR or by demand programs.