dSLR thread

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
The a9 has the crippling problems of only one fast memory card slot and lack of lossless compressed RAW files.

Yeah WTF!!! Didn't Sony develop the XQD card standard? $4500 and two SD slots? And one is crippled beyond all hope? Again WTF!!!

A9 Mk II = XQD + SLOW SD card slots and Lossless compressed 12-bit RAW files. The Mk III will have Dual XQD slots and 14-bit lossless-compressed RAW files. Wait for the Mk III DD.

Handruin

Administrator
Wow, I don't think I've ever seen him that pissed before. That was actually pretty funny. I can assume RED is not a LTT sponsor. :-D

I love high-res gear and high-res content but I don't understand why they need to capture at 8K for what they're doing. I can only speculate that maybe they're testing the new video/media platform they're building and need 8K content to check off a box?

Stereodude

Not really a
[video=youtube_share;3t1PQJmM8P4]https://youtu.be/3t1PQJmM8P4[/video]

Cured of wanting RED gear.
I wasn't wanting it before watching, but I definitely don't want it now. Obviously they wanted it enough to buy it, but he savaged RED pretty hard and was quite funny in the process.

Do you really need 8K cameras for a YouTube channel though?

Handruin

Administrator
I have to guess they have something else they're trying to accomplish with the 4320P camera. They already have 2160P cameras that they scale down their content to 1080P in post. Even so, I wouldn't be surprised if this video alone paid for part of or all that gear.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Friend of mine bought a D750, $1500 with portrait grip with the recent Nikon instant rebates. He's moving up from a D610 which he'll prob keep as a second body. I'm thinking we'll finally see a replacement for the D810 this summer.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Friend of mine bought a D750, $1500 with portrait grip with the recent Nikon instant rebates. He's moving up from a D610 which he'll prob keep as a second body. I'm thinking we'll finally see a replacement for the D810 this summer.

I've been thinking of getting the D500 + grip for $1800 using the current rebates. Can't really justify it, but I want it. I'll update my D610 with the D810 replacement camera someday, maybe. D610 --> D750 doesn't make a lot of sense unless you can sell the D610 and get a decent price for it.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I've been thinking of getting the D500 + grip for $1800 using the current rebates. Can't really justify it, but I want it. I'll update my D610 with the D810 replacement camera someday, maybe. D610 --> D750 doesn't make a lot of sense unless you can sell the D610 and get a decent price for it.

Why would you use the D500?

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Riddle me this. When I delete a file in-camera on the 1D IV, all seems to be OK. But when I upload the cards later, only the raw files have been deleted. The JPGs are still there! I shoot raw + JPG, sending the raw files to the CF card and the JPGs to the SD card. This is a new behaviour since a few weeks ago. I did wonder if there was a way to write-protect an SD card which I'd accidentally triggered, but in that case it shouldn't be possible to write to the card, never mind delete from it!

(If it makes a difference, I habitually format the cards in-camera before use.)

LunarMist

Riddle me this. When I delete a file in-camera on the 1D IV, all seems to be OK. But when I upload the cards later, only the raw files have been deleted. The JPGs are still there! I shoot raw + JPG, sending the raw files to the CF card and the JPGs to the SD card. This is a new behaviour since a few weeks ago. I did wonder if there was a way to write-protect an SD card which I'd accidentally triggered, but in that case it shouldn't be possible to write to the card, never mind delete from it!

(If it makes a difference, I habitually format the cards in-camera before use.)

I thought each always had to be deleted separately. At least that is the way with RAW files in other ID series bodies.

LunarMist

I don't know but Nikon card switching after one is removed is different so I would make no assumptions. I've never deleted a file in any camera even when a $600 2GB card held only 200 11MP RAW images.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Nikon D820 rumors have been slowly coming out.

Summary of the above link:

1- Announcement this summer, shipment in fall.
2- Will be called D820 (D850 is still a possibility).
3- 45-46MP sensor.
4- Improved low and high ISO.
5- New and improved version of SnapBridge.
6- No built-in GPS.
7- Tiltable LCD screen.
8- Memory card slots: one SD and one XQD.
9- New: AF system from the D5.

Point 1 & 2) I guess we'll find out.
3) Nice little bump from 36MP of the D810. If you already have a D810 I'm not sure if that bump is enough.
4) I wonder if base ISO will be 64 or lower or the "standard" ISO of 100.
5) Well TOTAL CRAP to "less than total crap" could still be crap. Huge question mark here.
6) Shame. GPS should be standard in a "landscape" camera. Bummer.
7) Excellent. Probably same tilty-flippy as the D750/D500.
8) Shame no dual XQD. At least it matches D500's XQD/SD combo. SD better not be "A9" crippled!!!
9) Expected. Nice to know it will be there.

Unknowns:

1) Video? 4K probably. 8K possible but unlikely. 8K would be a "killer spec" over Canon.
2) Cost? 5D4 is about $3300 but it's been out a bit. Guessing $3600 or so.
3) FPS? Dream of 7 FPS, but hopefully at least the same as the D810 @ 5 FPS (7 in crop mode+grip).
4) Dynamic Range? Hopefully better than D810 and not sacrificed to gain some BS 1.6M ISO nonsense.
5) Ergonomics? Should be (BETTER BE) the same button/control layout as D5 and D500.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Is that Canon only behavior? I guess I can test it with my Nikon.

I don't know but Nikon card switching after one is removed is different so I would make no assumptions. I've never deleted a file in any camera even when a $600 2GB card held only 200 11MP RAW images.

I also NEVER use the "trash can" button on the camera to delete pics off of a memory card. I've heard too many horror stories.

I just did a quick test with my D610. I shoot RAW + JPG to both SD slots in "backup" mode. Playback seems to only display the JPG file. If I delete the JPG it only deletes the file on one SD card. Eventually playback moves to the secondary card slot and if I delete that then the pic is gone for good.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
You can now pre-order the newly announced - Nikkor 28mm f/1.4E lens for $2000.

Nikon is slooooooooooowly replacing it's aging "G" series with the new "E" series primes. 105mm and now 28mm primes. Hopefully resolution and quality have gone up in addition to the "E"lectronic aperture.

One can expect (guess?) new 24mm, 35mm, 50mm, 58mm and 85mm f/1.4 "E" series primes to compliment the new D8x0 latter this year and next year. 16mm and 20mm f/1.4 E's would be awesome as would a 135mm f/2.

LunarMist

Meh. PJ is not my thing. Without VR a Sony would be more versatile.

LunarMist

I'd like to see an updated 80-400 with improved optics more like the similar Canon or Sony lenses.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Working Canon 6Dii link here.

Looks good, except only 1) ONE SD card slot, 2) NO 4k video, and 3) $2000. Canon pushing people to the $3300 5Div. Hell, you can find the Nikon D810 + Battery grip for $2500.

Now if the price was $1500 and it had TWO SD card slots and 4k it would be a slam dunk. Although with Canon being the market leader and Nikon on life support Canon can do as they please.

LunarMist

Working Canon 6Dii link here.

Looks good, except only 1) ONE SD card slot, 2) NO 4k video, and 3) $2000. Canon pushing people to the $3300 5Div. Hell, you can find the Nikon D810 + Battery grip for $2500.

Now if the price was $1500 and it had TWO SD card slots and 4k it would be a slam dunk. Although with Canon being the market leader and Nikon on life support Canon can do as they please.

Undoubtedly it will be popular, but the single card is not even the worst part. The camera in general is like a larger 80D and there is a combo control dial and AF selector that is not so good for action.
The key improvements over the 6D are the improved AF and of course the higher-res sensor with the modern technology. Of course I have no use for it whatsoever compared to the 5D IV, but some will use both.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
A 6D would do me nicely as a replacement for the 5D II I've always loved/hated. Excellent camera in all respects (given the use I have for it) other than the truly horrible AF system it was crippled at birth with. (I've owned two 20Ds, a 400D, two 40Ds, a 50D, a 7D, a 7D II, a 1D III, a 1D IV, and two different 5D IIs, and the 5D II has THE worst AF system I have ever used.) 90% of what I use the 5D for is landscape work, so the useless AF is a major annoyance rather than a deal-breaker, just the same I'd love to get rid of the damn thing. If it didn't take such beautiful pictures, I would. A 6D II would be a perfect replacement in many ways.

(And it might just get used for something other than landscapes. As-is, I always go to the 1D IV or one of the crop cameras the moment I expect to want AF that works decently.)

The only thing I don't much like about it is the thought of being stuck with crappy SD cards instead of proper CF, as should be standard on any non-toy camera. But I could live with that.

However, in the back of my mind I have some low-light bird work in mind for the 5D II replacement (alongside 1D IV and 7D II, mix-and-match style). For that, the 5D IV is obviously the one to have. Guess I'll spend the money.

Dunno what I'll do with the 5D II after that. Usually I play hand-me-down with older cameras, passing them on to less demanding roles. Alas, I can't replace the 50D with anything but another crop camera as I'd have to (a) buy an (expensive!) replacement for the 10-22 ultra-wide (16-35/4, of course), and (b) persuade a lens manufacturer to make me a full-frame replacement for the wonderful little Tokina 10-17 fish (which I use quite a bit). That's not going to happen - there are only two FX fisheye zooms manufactured, and both of them have been crippled by an utterly stupid design decision to make them unusable as actual zoom lenses: they are effectively two-in-one rectangular fish / circular fish primes with no useful zoom function. (At least tits on a bull look pretty: circular fisheye lenses don't even do that.)

I sent the broken 7D (Mark 1) off for repair the other week. If it comes back fixed, it will do fine. If it turns out to be uneconomic to repair, then an 80D, or most likely I'll just keep the 50D for a few years longer.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Also, I blew $100 on a tidy second-hand 400/2.8 pancake lens the other day. What a little cutie! A bit extravagant seeing as I already have a 35mm/1.4, but for $100, who cares? For some time I've wanted a small, inconspicuous camera for use in country towns where you feel like a real dick lugging a monstrous black SLR around. I mean, OK, all the locals know you are a tourist, but that's no excuse for looking like one. Perhaps the 40/2.8 will be good in that role. Of course, I really should also have a small body to put it on, but anything nice is too expensive for that niche role.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
The only thing I don't much like about it is the thought of being stuck with crappy SD cards instead of proper CF, as should be standard on any non-toy camera. But I could live with that.

I'm curious. Why do you dislike SD cards? 1) slow speed; 2) not-reliable; 3) fragile; or 4) combination of 1, 2 & 3?

If #2 and/or #3 is a concern then a single SD slot would be a deal breaker I would think.

Seems that XQD (Nikon) or CFAST (Canon) are the "high-end" cards of the future, while SD (Canon/Nikon) are the "low-end" cards. The Sony A9 uses dual SD only. The Nikon D5 (CF version) and 1Dx2 & 5D4 are probably the last camera that either Nikon or Canon will make that will use CF cards. CF is dead. Whether that is good or bad I don't know but it's probably true.

SD cards are now faster than the fastest CF cards I believe. No bent CF pins to worry about. Not sure if that is really an issue though. The rumored spec of 6.5 FPS for the 6D2 is pretty close to the 7 FPS of the 5D4, which is a nice surprise. The 6D was 4.5? FPS? HOPEFULLY the SD slot is not a crippled UHS-1 type.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Cheers Snowhiker.

In a word, they are poxy damn fiddly things that are way too small to be practical, and get dropped and lost too easily. Who wants to have to handle them in the dark, when it's cold, or wearing gloves? Certainly not me. Compare with CF cards which are a size you can handle and see, and store in a way such that they can be found, and which you can insert and remove in total darkness 'coz they have that ribbing. (You can do it with an SD card too, but only at the expense of getting your greasy fingers all over the contacts. OK, they probably tolerate that just fine - there are a zillion know-nothings happily using then all over the world after all, so I'm sure the cards are designed to cope with it - but I cut my electronic teeth on 1970s and 80s components that fried themselves if you even looked at the contacts in a funny way, never mind touched them with your fingers. The never-touch-gold-contacts rule is just part of my technical DNA, and it requires a conscious effort of will to break it.

Within reason, #1 doesn't matter on a semi-pro camera (but would on a 1 Series, which is presumably why they don't use them), and I distrust the exposed contacts, so we'll have a dash of #2 and a little sprinkle of #3 too please. (Shaken not stirred, no ice.) Bent pins on CF cards? I suppose it's possible, but I've been using them for many years and never seen it happen.

As for CFAST, yup, great idea .... but then I look at the price. Ouch!

In short, I don't like SD cards. But it could be worse. Can we say "Sony Memory Stick"? Or "XD"? Or those utterly stupid micro things that telephones use? (Sorry. I'll stop swearing now.)

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Also, I blew $100 on a tidy second-hand 400/2.8 pancake lens the other day. What a little cutie!

I wonder about the optical quality of a $100 400/2.8 pancake lens. LOL. Obviously you mean 40mm. ;)

Lexar is done.
As the late Merc would say, goddamnitsomuch. :mad:

Well this is not good for Nikon as only Lexar and Sony make XQD cards.

^ And Sandisk is owned by the Web of Satan.

Sandisk doesn't make XQD cards. Not good for Nikon to be locked into Sony only memory cards.

LunarMist

Well this is not good for Nikon as only Lexar and Sony make XQD cards.

Sandisk doesn't make XQD cards. Not good for Nikon to be locked into Sony only memory cards.

I suspect the name will purchased by someone, but the performance and quality will sink to a lower tier like Kingston or similar.
It's too bad, because Lexar was once independent.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Cheers Snowhiker.

In a word, they are poxy damn fiddly things that are way too small to be practical, and get dropped and lost too easily. Who wants to have to handle them in the dark, when it's cold, or wearing gloves? ...<snip>... but only at the expense of getting your greasy fingers all over the contacts. ...<snip>... The never-touch-gold-contacts rule is just part of my technical DNA, and it requires a conscious effort of will to break it.

Bent pins on CF cards? I suppose it's possible, but I've been using them for many years and never seen it happen.

I see your points regarding the small size of SD cards. And I actually agree with them 100%. Then again, I have had no issues (yet!) with the SD cards being used in my D610. I haven't had to change cards while wearing gloves. Yet.

"Bent CF pins in camera" Vs "greasy fingers on SD contacts" issues are perhaps both non-issues. But I'll take exposed SD contacts over possible bent pins in camera.

And unfortunately for some it seems that CF cards are being phased out in favor of CFAST cards and/or faster/smaller physical sized SD cards. I'm sure Nikon/Canon prefer the smaller internal size and no bent pin issues with SD cards.

I wonder if Canon 1DX2 users try to insert the wrong memory card into the wrong slot as the CFAST and CF slots look similar:

Canon-EOS-1D-X-Mark-II-Memory-Card-Door-Open.jpg

LunarMist

SD cards can split along the edge connectors. They are too small for my liking. CFast 1.0 never made it to mainstream products and 2.0 was already obsolete on introduction since the SATA interface already limits the flash speeds.
CFExpress is the new standard and it includes XQD which uses a PCIe type bus.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
SD cards can split along the edge connectors. They are too small for my liking. CFast 1.0 never made it to mainstream products and 2.0 was already obsolete on introduction since the SATA interface already limits the flash speeds.
CFExpress is the new standard and it includes XQD which uses a PCIe type bus.

I thought XQD was a newer standard but the Nikon D4 has an XQD slot and was released in early 2012. Shows you how little I know about these things. But there are still not multiple XQD manufacturers five years later?

CFAST is already dying, did not know that. Seems CFExpress is now the future and will incorporate the physical XQD form factor. Interesting. I need to read up a bit on this. Perhaps things are not as dire for Nikon as I initially thought.

LunarMist

I thought XQD was a newer standard but the Nikon D4 has an XQD slot and was released in early 2012. Shows you how little I know about these things. But there are still not multiple XQD manufacturers five years later?

CFAST is already dying, did not know that. Seems CFExpress is now the future and will incorporate the physical XQD form factor. Interesting. I need to read up a bit on this. Perhaps things are not as dire for Nikon as I initially thought.

XQD should be placed in every new high-performance camera, but the CF organization is not going away so they had to adapt. It is too bad that there is not a mini-XQD format as that would solve card space problems in smaller cameras.