Draft n wireless

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Does anyone have any good new to relate using draft n wireless technology? I've got a couple of G nodes, but I want more speed

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I've got a nice dual band Linksys router at my office. I've got it set up to deliver 802.11g service on the 2.4GHz band and 802.11n on the 5.8GHz band. I'm using dd-wrt with it.

Since I'm the only person in my office who has an 802.11n NIC, this is all just fine.

I don't notice the difference in speed, particularly, but I seldom want to do anything more than connect to the internet and print from my laptop. When I want speed I plug in to a gigabit port.

What I do notice is the fact that I have a 5.8GHz signal that has a slightly larger radius and slightly higher strength than the G-only service that used to be present. I can blanket my whole office with both 2.4 and 5.8GHz signals from one AP, and that's excellent.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
About 2m from a Linksys WRT350N, I get 802.11n speeds that work out to be about 120Mbit during file copies to a PC connected to one of its gigabit ports.

At about 5m, the speed drops off to about 80Mbit. That's as far as I can get from the router without putting some cinder blocks between my notebook and the router.

In other words, it seems like you have to be pretty close to an N-router to get any real bandwidth improvement.

I've got a Netgear, a DLink and a Linksys WRVS4400N that I can also test.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
That's a steeper drop-off than the continental shelf. Bah, I may go back to a wired connection. On another note, the HTPC automagically installed SP3 for XP and now my wireless is toast.

I really detest wireless technology....

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Jumped to conclusions. I had set the router/AccessPoint to Channel 1 when chasing other issues a long time ago. Set the channel to 13 and things are back to normal. Guess it was an interference issue, but I don't know what it could be. Black helicopters?