Dell U2410 24" H-IPS monitor - thoughts?

Handruin

Administrator
That really sucks. The Dell UltraSharp warranty in the US says:

Zero Bright Pixels
Under Dell's Premium Panel Guarantee3, you will receive a replacement UltraSharp monitor should even one bright defective pixel appear on the screen.

I know it's a pain, but check and see if the same is true for Canada. I believe they'll even pay return shipping and give you advance return.

What revision of the monitor did you get? Was it the A01?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
What revision of the monitor did you get? Was it the A01?
Yes it is, although it took me a while to find out where it was written (on a sliding panel next to the card reader module).

I'll check the warranty with Dell. I'm so sick of looking at the miserable 20 inches CRT I previously used that I'm tempted to keep it anyway.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Dell monitors should all be advance replacement. The more fun part of the problem is getting connected to the right department to initiate the RMA. You can only report monitor issues through Dell's web site; they don't have some code or other that's on other Dell products that is required for their online forms.

Last monitor I sent back, I was on hold for about 20 minutes before I got to talk to a person.

Handruin

Administrator
Like I mentioned, this monitor is advance replacement at least in the US. I know others who have done this for the dithering in the A0 revision.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Reminds me of the time I ordered a 2405 and received a 2005 instead. They fixed it pretty quick. That's when they first came out.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Yes it is, although it took me a while to find out where it was written (on a sliding panel next to the card reader module).

I'll check the warranty with Dell. I'm so sick of looking at the miserable 20 inches CRT I previously used that I'm tempted to keep it anyway.

Get it swapped out Coug. This is a premium priced screen and you should only accept pefection. A bright red pixel will be staring at you for years to come.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Well the $20 for a new AC Adaptor for my Dell 2001FP was unsuccessful in solving my monitor shutting off problem. Looks like I'll be picking up the U2410... eventually.

In other news, they came to fix my payne heat pump/air conditioning unit but apparently my check valve is not functioning properly so someone else has to come out to fix that. So more money out the door.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Well the $20 for a new AC Adaptor for my Dell 2001FP was unsuccessful in solving my monitor shutting off problem. Looks like I'll be picking up the U2410... eventually.

In other news, they came to fix my payne heat pump/air conditioning unit but apparently my check valve is not functioning properly so someone else has to come out to fix that. So more money out the door.

A quick search seems to indicate it's a reasonably common problem:

http://www.achrnews.com/Articles/Service_and_Maintenance/026d1753c967a010VgnVCM100000f932a8c0____

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
When the check valve fails liquid coolant can flow into the suction line and into the compressor.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
I may have spoke to soon regarding the 2001FP.
I had plugged the new AC Adaptor into the same plug that was coming from my UPS.
When I plug it in with the new plug to a different outlet, it has been fine.
Crossing my fingers that it continues to work for some time.
But this has me questioning my UPS.

Handruin

Administrator
Maybe some of the contacts inside where the PS plugs in is worn out? If the monitor is going to the junk yard anyway, why not peak inside and see if anything is obvious to the naked eye before dumping it. Sorry to hear your 2001FP is crapping out. I hope mine doesn't suffer the same fate any time soon. I still use it as a 2nd monitor.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I'm glad to have the Eizo, though it is getting old. There is no AC adapter or check valve to be concerned about.

Mercutio

I just found out that while my U2711 works fine with HDMI when connected to a PC, it works with absolutely nothing else over HDMI. I simply don't get a display. That's a little aggravating for a $1000 monitor.

Mercutio

That is my suspicion. I guess my monitor could support HDMI 1.2 and all the stuff in my office could be 1.3 or 1.4?

I don't know offhand if down-level compatibility is part of the spec or not.

Stereodude

Not really a
So the U2711 HDMI port is really just a rewired DVI port?
That's pretty much all it is on any display. Drop the analog portion and change the connector. The electrical signals are the same.

In Merc's case it sounds like the EDID data for the monitor is not consumer video gear friendly.

Mercutio

I've plugged in a Logitech Revue, my Evo, a WD TV Live, a Boxee, a generic HDMI switch and a Pioneer VSX-920 so far.

It works when I plug it in to a Radeon 5750's HDMI port. That's all I can say.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
That is my suspicion. I guess my monitor could support HDMI 1.2 and all the stuff in my office could be 1.3 or 1.4?

I don't know offhand if down-level compatibility is part of the spec or not.

Assuming you aren't trying to feed it frame packed 3D (which requires a subset of HDMI 1.4), the 2711 should support any device that outputs over HDMI - or DVI with HDCP I.e. HDMI has backwards compatibility

Is input scaling turned on? IIRC the older 30" model would only work with native res or half res input over DVI.

I would say its cactus and needs to go back to Dell.

Mercutio

It most certainly has an HDMI port, 'cause I've been using it for about six months.

What should happen when you connect a device that fails HDCP negotiation is that a low-resolution version of the picture should be displayed instead of the full-resolution version. I see that sometimes with one of the old projectors I have here.

sdbardwick

Storage is cool
Does the 2711 have an HDMI port?

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=224-8284

I don't see HDCP compliance listed on the DVI connection so its not going to work with general consumer gear. It is a 2560*1440 monitor after all. Alternatives like the 30" have a scaler and introduce high levels of input lag which make it less than ideal for gaming.
Apparently the feature set varies depending on which Dell site you look at :) This is from the SOHO link.
Lists 2x DVI-D with HDCP + 1x HDMI + DisplayPort + 1x VGA + etc.