Dell 24" Ultra sharp

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm really, really interested in how people think this compares with everything else out there. I can get it in Oz for about US$6 more plus tax, and I've been hanging out for a 1200 line IPS monitor to replace my Samsung TN unit.

Of course, a 30" 2560x1600 unit would be even better, but at 4 times the price, I think I'll keep waiting ...

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I have an ultra sharp Dell on my desk at work. I also have a standard 24" Dell next to it. The standard is dull and fuzzy compared to the ultra sharp.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I have a older 22", 24" and 27" Ultrasharps at my desk and I've been messing with those Asus 24" IPS displays and here's what I can say: For day-to-day work, the quality of my older Ultrasharps and the Asus monitors is subjectively very similar. They're all worlds different from crummy TN panels, but I don't have anything sitting around to calibrate them to really know. I think the Dell screens might be somewhat brighter, but mine are older so they look very similar to me (I keep them at about 60% brightness and use the 6300k color temperature setting).

Honestly though I'd be more than half tempted to look at two 1920x1080 Asus screens for what that Ultrasharp costs. If vertical pixels matter, find a couple monitors that support vertical orientation (the Asus screens I have don't, at least not on the stand they come with) and use 'em that way.

ddrueding

Fixture
I consider Ultrasharps to be the best of the non-reference-class screens. At any particular moment there may be another that offers similar quality, but you don't need to do the research with the Us, they just are good and have the features you might want. And that is a great price.

Still waiting for a 35" 4k Ultrasharp....

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Apropos of almost nothing, HiSense is selling a 50", 4k TV through Walmart and Costco for $2000. Nothing to do with Ultrasharps but that's definitely a step up from Seiki on the OEM food chain.

ddrueding

Fixture
It needs to be. That Seiki was unusable @ 4k. I ended up selling it as a regular HDTV. For that purpose the user is quite happy.

Handruin

Administrator
This looks tempting for the price. I have a Dell ultrasharp U2410 that I've been happy with that cost a bunch more than this one does. I donated that to my lady to help with her photography business so I've been using an older dell 22" TN panel for a while now. This might be a nice replacement even if it's not as good with colors as the U2410.