Dell 1800FP TFT - thoughts?

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
I currently have a Hanson H750 17" TFT. Its a cheap thing, does its job and I'm reasonably pleased with it, considering the price I paid 6 months ago (£300).

Browsing the pages of www.novatec.co.uk I found the Dell 1800FP, a black 18" TFT with 3 years warranty and DVI-in for £315 which is a steal for what appears to be a quality 18" TFT. The Dell UK site lists it at over £450 -

http://dellware.euro.dell.com/dells...0&demo=&gc=&sbc=none&co=&b=DUKLOSKU-730-10701

I've already ordered it since its got to be noticably better than my current one, but while it arrives, anyone have any thoughts or experience with this monitor to share?

Thanks

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Luminance (Brightness) / Contrast Ratio: 250 CD/m2 typical, 200 CD/m2 minimum / 350:1 typical, 200:1 minimum
Contrast ratio seems to vary a lot according to the spec. Can you return the display if you're not satisfied? For the price, it looks like a good value, but it's always better when you can try the monitor first, especially for LCD.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
IMHO, the 1900FP and the newer 1901FP have much better specs. I know somebody with a Dell 1700FP; it sucks so bad, I couldn't use it if it were my monitor. I also got a 1900FP for somebody; it's an absolutely gorgeous, beautiful monitor; a pleasure to look at and use all day.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
One of my labs has 20 1901FPs (and 20 XP2800s... but no internet connectivity or they'd be folding). They're the nicest LCDs I think I've come in contact with. Even better than Apple Cinema Displays.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
Contrast ratio seems to vary a lot according to the spec. Can you return the display if you're not satisfied?

I can return it within 7 days, but as I will be ordering from this online shop, I'd have to pay return postage which will be nasty :(

If it dissapoints, I'll return it but I'd be surprised if it wasn't better than my current Hansol which I am satisfied with.

No personal experience with it, but I can tell you that the 1800FP is a rebadged LG monitor.

Thanks, they are always made by a Korean electronics giant :)

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
Arrived today, its great, contrast and colours much better than the silly Hansol. Not to mention the extra inch ;)

However... it will work fine off the analog port, but no signal appears to be output on the PC's DVI port. I can't seem to find a relevant option in the card's settings menu (Leadtek GF4 Ti4200).

Anyone messed with one of these and a flatpanel who would know what to do?

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Try this:

While still using the analog connection, change your refresh rate down to 60Hz. Shutdown. Disconnect analog. Connect DVI. Reboot.

CK

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
I'm using a 60Hz refresh, yes. I've tried rebooting, and powering down before switching the monitor but it doesn't want to work. Connecting a DVI to DB15 adaptor I cant get an analog signal out of the DVI connector either. :-?

Manuals mention almost nothing, and I don't really want to install the cruddy software that came with it either...

Will keep trying, thanks

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
I solved the problem. Guess what? I had the analog cable connected to the monitor and hanging there when I was using the digital connection. Seems you have to fully remove the cable from the monitor before it will switch to DVI mode :)

Thanks all.