Cycling

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
31 miles in 2 hours today, 27 miles in 1:43 yesterday. Typical Eastern Queens daytime traffic slowing me a bit both days. I was pretty spent towards the end today, and my butt was hurting big time (might need a gel seat cover unless someone has other suggestions).

ddrueding

Fixture
Did my first every group ride (which was also my first long ride during the day, and my longest ride ever).

http://www.trainingpeaks.com/sw/IOJDC4QJQ7D5TAMHICIXXOQAKI

Held up alright to the top, then lost the chain and snapped some teeth on the big ring midway through the decent. Then got lost. By the time I found everyone I was beat, and they dropped me in a hurry.

Lesson 1: Know the route, you can't always keep someone in sight.
Lesson 2: Calorie intake on a ride this long is important. Despite a large breakfast 30 mins before, I was about ready to pass out with miles to go. Managed to get some goo from a friendly rider to make the finish.
Lesson 3: Big hills are soul destroying if you don't know where the top is. Blind turn after blind turn I was hoping to see a top, and it seemed to go forever.

ddrueding

Fixture
Nope. Now that I am a member of a team, I have the sponsored spandex look going. What a difference; I'd say that was worth another 5-10% right there.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Don't know if it'll help much, but I try not to look up when I'm climbing a hill. It's less demoralizing seeing the next 50 feet, as opposed to looking up and seeing the hill going on for hundreds or thousands of feet. I figure I'll know when I hit the top once it gets easier to pedal. The other thing I do once I reach the top is to continue the same effort for another 10 or 20 seconds going down, even if I'm pooped. The rationale here is to get to the balancing speed on the downslope as quickly as I can, then mostly let gravity take over. Simply put, there's more bang for the buck in terms of effort versus percentage speed increase putting in a good effort when you're still going 15 or 20, rather than 45 (hope that made sense). All that said, the hills I encounter aren't in the same league as what you're dealing with. A normal 1.5 hour ride for me usually involves 500 or 600 feet of elevation change.

Can't really comment on the calorie intake part. I've done rides over 3 hours without eating or drinking. I do drink quite a bit right before going for longer rides in warmer weather.

BTW, that looks like a nice route. Nothing really like that where I live.

ddrueding

Fixture
Don't know if it'll help much, but I try not to look up when I'm climbing a hill. It's less demoralizing seeing the next 50 feet, as opposed to looking up and seeing the hill going on for hundreds or thousands of feet. I figure I'll know when I hit the top once it gets easier to pedal.
That is what the guy I was riding with said. Of course, the advice I'd received from teammates included knowing the size of the hill and pacing your ascent. But any of these are big enough that I'm just lucky to live through. One of them is called "the wall"; it is actually on the local "Sea Otter Classic" road course. Only 2 or 3 miles long, but it is straight (so you can see the whole thing), starts from a sharp corner (so you have no momentum going in), and gets progressively steeper as you go (encouraging you to take it too hard and "pop" before the top).
The other thing I do once I reach the top is to continue the same effort for another 10 or 20 seconds going down, even if I'm pooped. The rationale here is to get to the balancing speed on the downslope as quickly as I can, then mostly let gravity take over. Simply put, there's more bang for the buck in terms of effort versus percentage speed increase putting in a good effort when you're still going 15 or 20, rather than 45 (hope that made sense).
I do exactly the same thing. I just keep pedaling in the same gear at the same cadence until I'm not getting any more drive, then I rest on the descent.
Can't really comment on the calorie intake part. I've done rides over 3 hours without eating or drinking. I do drink quite a bit right before going for longer rides in warmer weather.

BTW, that looks like a nice route. Nothing really like that where I live.
When you get around to that train ride to the west coast, bring your bike ;)

ddrueding

Fixture
Today was the first (attempted) ride with my teammates. Of course, it was a race simulation on the local crit course. I managed to barely hang on when their pace up a false flat (2% grade) exceeded 30mph. Then someone started an attack, and they were gone.

Still happy with my pace, particularly considering my big chain ring is still busted, so I'm stuck in the small compact (34 front, 11-rear) and can't exceed about 120rpm without bouncing in the saddle.

I managed 4 laps, and I was only lapped once! Sweet.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Hi DD

Are you still on the heavy bike? Probably time to get a light racing bike, with sealed hubs, since you like riding in the rain, and try and find a set of tires that are a compromise between speed and durability.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
What kind of hubs and bottom bracket are you using? Are they sealed, so you can ride in the rain?

ddrueding

Fixture
What kind of hubs and bottom bracket are you using? Are they sealed, so you can ride in the rain?

You can see the exact tech specs under the second tab of my link above. I ride in the rain at least once a week this time of year; just hose the bike off and re-lube the chain every couple weeks.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I checked the bottom bracket. Can't finding anything about hubs. The advertizing does not appear to claim the hubs are sealed.

time

Storage? I am Storage!

What other kind is there?

Are you confusing the term "sealed" with captive or "cartridge" bearings? That has nothing to do with resistance to moisture penetration.

In any case, I can't see how there could ever be a problem unless you are in the habit of riding your bike underwater.

ddrueding

Fixture
My new helmet must attract bees. Twice this morning they flew into my helmet, got stuck, and stung the top of my head. Sucks.

For a moment I was concerned, having never been stung, that I might have an adverse reaction all alone in the boonies. Nope, doesn't even hurt anymore.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
My new helmet must attract bees. Twice this morning they flew into my helmet, got stuck, and stung the top of my head. Sucks.

For a moment I was concerned, having never been stung, that I might have an adverse reaction all alone in the boonies. Nope, doesn't even hurt anymore.

That happened to me once. It sucked.

Stereodude

Not really a

I ran into a bee before with my neck (I was going faster than the bee) and ended up getting stung. It's the only time I'm aware of being stung by a bee. Thankfully no crazy reactions.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Wonder what the bee thought, just before it committed suicide?

TWO bees, same day same helmet? Is your wife mad at you? Did you check your helmet for pollen?

I would seriously consider a tin hat. I can't imagine the odds on getting nailed by TWO bees in the same day, the same way unless your a beekeeper.

ddrueding

Fixture
It was also on the exact same spot on the lap. I rode there again today, and took two bees to the chest; it is just a bee dense area I guess.

ddrueding

Fixture
Any chance of riding on Laguna Seca?

Rode the track yesterday. The hill before the corkscrew is ~15% grade...utterly ridiculous. If you try to spin it out while sitting down the front wheel keeps hopping, if you do it standing up and don't keep the cadence high enough you roll backwards. The race of the evening was a time trial (stationary start, no drafting, single lap). The best times of the non-pros were in the mid 5 minute range (25mph average), mine was 8:48 (15.5mph average). My excuse is that the TT was after lapping the track at speed for over an hour, and I had already VO2maxed many times before the start.

ddrueding

Fixture
Tonight's ride was also interesting. Headed out into the now closed Fort Ord military base to take advantage of hilly roads closed to vehicle traffic, but my headlight battery died 10 miles from home. That was a nervous ride back.

fb

Storage is cool
We've started with the training wheels on, at least until he gets a feeling for the brakes and these things. But I left the wheels in the most upward position so he can find the balance when he gets up to speed.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Rode the track yesterday. The hill before the corkscrew is ~15% grade...utterly ridiculous. If you try to spin it out while sitting down the front wheel keeps hopping, if you do it standing up and don't keep the cadence high enough you roll backwards.
No 15% grades here in NYC, or at least none on the roads I'm familiar with, but I've dealt with 8% or 9%. Not fun at all. I could easily see how if the grade was much steeper I'd encounter the problems you mentioned.

The race of the evening was a time trial (stationary start, no drafting, single lap). The best times of the non-pros were in the mid 5 minute range (25mph average), mine was 8:48 (15.5mph average). My excuse is that the TT was after lapping the track at speed for over an hour, and I had already VO2maxed many times before the start.
I'd guess that the best time to TT would be after maybe 5 to 10 minutes of riding. That being said, I remember averaging 24 mph over 10 miles after already riding 20 miles. This was in college. I rode out to Trenton. I was getting late, I had crappy lights on my bike, and just wanted to get back to my dorm before sunset. I was on US route 1. Very few traffic lights. None were red. It was slightly undulating terrain which averaged out to level. Just went on the drops and burned for the next 10 miles. I was flat out exhausted upon reaching the dorm. Barely got the bike up the stairs and into the room, then collapsed right on my bed. The only other time I averaged ~24 mph was working as a bike messenger in Manhattan. 125th Street to West 4th Street (~6 miles) in 15 minutes flat. Didn't hit a traffic light once. Again, just went on the drops and gave it my all. The really scary part is I was on a crappy Huffy both times. I wonder what i would have done on a "real" bike?

ddrueding

Fixture
After busting up my bike a couple weeks ago I hadn't gone out until today. I tried to do the big Saturday ride I usually do, and it hurt a lot.

Interestingly, the vendor shipped the wrong part; so now I have a 34/52 in front and a 12-32 in back. Still some fine tuning to be done, but if I can get the front derailleur working smoothly it will be great to have that larger range. That big front ring let me get some serious speed downhill.

http://www.trainingpeaks.com/sw/Q76TDGQNYJ75B73IXFZBGTS5YU

ddrueding

Fixture
Some more detail, my buddy helped me do the hardware swap 30 mins before the ride was to start, and we left a full 10 minutes late. We managed to positively spank it into the wind and catch them just after the Pebble Beach Lodge stop. I've never been able to maintain 18+mph into the wind for 20 minutes before.

ddrueding

Fixture
I need to swap the seat binder on my Roubaix to a quick release. According to the Tech Specs page, the seat binder is 32.6mm. I can't find a quick release in this exact size. The nearest standard size seems to be 32mm, but I suspect that I need to go to the next larger. None of them seem to detail the range that they will support.

Anyone here know enough about this to point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
It is difficult to tell what style of seat post clamp you have but sometimes the bolt itself can be replaced with a quick release bolt. Otherwise if you don't get the right size you will put stresses in hot spots.

ddrueding

Fixture
Sorry, I think 32mm is close enough.

Turns out you are right. Thanks.

Can't you just change the bolt rather than the collar?

The one I have has the bolt integrated on one side

Why do you want a quick release again?

So the bike can fit vertically in the back of my car. With the front wheel and seat removed, the rest fits perfectly.

Talked to the local bike shop, and they pointed out something I hadn't thought of. Because my frame is carbon, the seat binder is only rated for a small amount of torque, and the quick release easily do enough to crack the carbon.

ddrueding

Fixture
Good ride today. Put the new Mavic Ksyrium SL wheels on with Continental GatorSkin 700x23c tires and Michelin Airstop Butyl tubes. Only saved about 2lbs of rolling mass, but I did average 3mph faster over 20 miles than last week despite a stronger headwind. Still trying to figure out the Garmin 800; it recognized the cadence and heart rate monitors but didn't log their data. Annoying.

An interesting observation, I consistently go faster near the end of my rides than at the beginning. Doesn't seem to matter how long or how hard the ride is, I seem to have more at the end.