Customized Epox 8KHA+ Motherboard $55 Shipped USA

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Honestly it's only a big deal for a narrow range of applications. Mostly you aren't going to notice.

I was thinking about upgrading a machine from a KT133A to the Epox Clocker is selling. A difference I might not notice, either.

Handruin

Administrator
I don't want to stray too far off topic in Clocker’s FS ad, but the EPOX EP-8K3A (REV 1.1) goes for around $93 which isn't a ton more then his used board. ($38 more isn't a big deal to me for a newer generation board even if the speed difference is null compared to 8kha+.)

I'd be moving from a KT133 board, so the jump would be a little greater then going from KT133 to KT266A

Have you been using the board in an over clocked state, Clocker?

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I ran my 1700+ at 2000+ (FSB overclock) for a while (2-3 weeks) when I first got it with no problems. I didn't really notice a difference in feel so I dropped it back down to 1700+.

Never unlocked my XPs to try to play with the multiplier although I just used the No.2 pencil trick to convert one of my XPs into an MP...

Clocker

Mercutio

On the other hand, $55 is a steal for a quality KT266A part. Everything decent is at least $80 new. Note that being decent is clearly the same as not being ECS.

I'm sure that board is in prime condition.

My only concern at the moment has to do with the fact that Amy's birthday is in two weeks and, uh, I haven't figured out what to get her. I guess that's a sort of lien on my free cash.

The 8KHA+ is a marvelous board in any case. Something like that should be running right now, not sitting in a plastic bag on a shelf.

James

Storage is cool
20001222l.jpg

Mercutio

Actually I was thinking about getting her a 3/4 scale Harley. I know someone selling one. She drools every time she sees them on the road. Except that she hasn't been very nice to me the last couple weeks...

Do you think she'd learn to like the beautiful 8KHA+ as much as she likes those bikes?

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
$25 off on the whole combo =

$200 for the 512MB DDR + the Swiftech Heatsink + Motherboard

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Tiger MPX with fixed USB and dual Athlon XPs (one old one new). I had to do the No.2 pencil trick on one of the XPs. They seem to be working fine.

Clocker

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Clocker said:
Tiger MPX with fixed USB and dual Athlon XPs (one old one new). I had to do the No.2 pencil trick on one of the XPs. They seem to be working fine.

Clocker

You were able to unlock an A-XP with a pencil? How did you fill in the laser pits? I had to fill in the pits with clear nail polish and connect the traces with silver-based conductive grease.

--Steve

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Steve,

The L bridges that enable SMP on the XP don't need to be isolated from the ground. It doesn't matter if you short them with the ground. It only matters for the L bridges controlling the multiplier.

Groltz

CougTek said:
Steve,

The L bridges that enable SMP on the XP don't need to be isolated from the ground. It doesn't matter if you short them with the ground. It only matters for the L bridges controlling the multiplier.

Ah...I see what you're describing now...

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Groltz said:
Clocker said:

Clocker

You were able to unlock an A-XP with a pencil? How did you fill in the laser pits? I had to fill in the pits with clear nail polish and connect the traces with silver-based conductive grease.

--Steve

The two contacts on the bridge that need to be connected (to convert to MP from XP) are in the last column of the two rows of the L5 bridge (as I'm sure you know). So, instead of just directly connecting the bridge across the laser pit, I just made a curved trace with the pencil that went around the laser pit and connected the two bridges. I like this option because it is reversible and is very close to a straight line, anyway.

Clocker

Groltz

Clocker said:
...are in the last column of the two rows of the L5 bridge (as I'm sure you know).Clocker

To be quite honest, I didn't know. I'm well familiar with unlocking the L1 bridges for multipliers, but not L5's for MP enablement. I've never ran a dually rig before.