Cold

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I don't have any future trips to Antartica planned, but if I do end up there in the future, I will keep this advice in mind.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Tannin said:
I never did warm to Vonnegut. Don't know why, lots of people seem to think he was fantastic. Never saw too much out of the ordinary in his work myself, though I haven't looked at any of it for a decade or two.

Me either, though I may have been too young to appreciate his imagery. Had enough trouble with P. K. Dick. Mind you, I've only read Slaughterhouse 5, Cat's Cradle and The Gameplayers (sometimes called Sirens) of Titan, and that is as close to Enceladus as I want to get! Well not really, wouldn't mind seeing it up close at all. Just thought it was a nice segueway. :)

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
LiamC said:
Me either, though I may have been too young to appreciate his imagery. Had enough trouble with P. K. Dick.

Aw, come on? What could be easier to appreciate than the classic literary theme of drug-induced/enforced schizophrenia?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
timwhit said:
I don't have any future trips to Antartica planned, but if I do end up there in the future, I will keep this advice in mind.

Just go to the Antarctic peninsula first where it is not so cold. Further inland it gets f*cking cold, but you may arrive by helicopter to see the Emperors. Don't worry, they care of the tourists well enough. ;)

time

Storage? I am Storage!
LiamC said:
Mind you, I've only read Slaughterhouse 5, Cat's Cradle and The Gameplayers (sometimes called Sirens) of Titan, and that is as close to Enceladus as I want to get!
I don't believe I've read Cat's Cardle and my recollection of the Sirens of Titan is one of disappointment. I'm actually a fan of the Slaughterhouse 5 movie from the great George Roy Hill. Fairly recently, I enjoyed reading a latter-day introduction to the book by Vonnegut. Although he may not be the modern-day Mark Twain that some people seem to think, his use of language is, in my view, quite wonderful.

I guess imagery is not something that would interest Heinlein fans ... 8)

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
time said:
I guess imagery is not something that would interest Heinlein fans ... 8)

Are you calling me simple?!!! :mrgrn: :eekers: :eek:

If you'll pardon the pun, it takes time to read stories like K.V. There is no quick fix.

Mind you, I've been toying with re-reading Gene Wolfe, so that might be suitable preparation...

Handruin

Administrator
You should try to let your hand warm up before trying to feel your testicles. Sometimes I lose feeling in my hands when they are cold.

Handruin

Administrator
It's 5.2 degrees F (-15 degrees C) outside at my house right now. Both my sliders have frozen shut, it's very odd no being able to open them.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
The weather heah is really crazy. Was hot as summer, then the last 3-4 days has become verrry nippy. Forecast sez it's gonna be nippy rest of de week.

Mercutio

We've been in the 40 - 50F range for the last couple weeks. That's about 25 degrees warmer than usual for this time of year, if anyone is wondering.

Mid-December was our last really cold spell. It was down around 0F here.
During the winter I keep cases of soda outside on my balcony. So on the absolute coldest evening in recent memory, I opened my sliding door to grab something to drink. Sure enough, Will the Cat, whose Indian name is "Explores without Clue", managed to dart outside in the .6 seconds I had the door open, apparently because he needed to know if anything had changed about my 3x6 foot, snow-covered concrete balcony.
The next day was a Saturday, and I didn't have to be anywhere 'til afternoon, so I slept in and didn't get out of bed until 11AM or so. I wandered out to feed my cats and just barely hear this pitiful little kitty noise. Spent the next 45 minutes looking around the apartment for my big dummy before I finally thought to open the curtain. Sure enough, there's my cat, absolutely huddled against the sliding door and halfway covered with snow.
He didn't have any injury as a result of his adventure. I'm just amused that the absolute WORST day he could've spent outside is the day he decided to spend outside.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
How many minutes did you have to microwave him to thaw him? If he was out ! 24 hours, I thought the poor bloke would have died. Glad he's ok.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Reasonably warm here in Hot Spring, AR. Shame about the rain.

Oh well, "Manager's reception" aka 2 hour happy hour starts soon :)

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
36, going to what feels like 32. Isn't warm here, either.

Tropics, here I come...

s

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
As usual, the weathers has been SNAFUd. A week ago it was so hot (90 F) - in winter. Now it's gotten cold, but nowhere as cold as it should be in winter.

iGary

Learning Storage Performance
Speaking of lawnmowers and cameras...

Here's the perfect lawnmower for you Tannin:

Tannin's_Lawnmower.jpg

ddrueding

Fixture
Eh, It's warmer now...the heater likely won't go on again for another month or two.

The climate here is kinda weird. Summer and Winter are both nice and sunny with warm days (70s and 80s). Spring and Fall are a bit cooler with fog and overcast (50s and 60s). That's the extent of our seasons. I left my only (leather) coat at a friend's place on the 4th of July 2004. I haven't bothered to get it back yet, and haven't missed having a coat (or a sweater for that matter) for two and a half years. Once I but on a tight shirt under a button down, but that was for a night-time beach party.

Mercutio

It's cool enough for me to shut off one of my air conditioners tonight. My apartment is quiet for the first time in about four months!

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Yup, still summer here . . . 90 degrees here and 100+ degrees at a friends house. I sit in my airconditioned house looking at my fall LLBean Hunting Catalogue -- come on winter!

ddrueding

Fixture
Our lame excuse for Fall has been around for a week or two; overcast in the morning, low sixties until midday. Beautiful, really dense fog at night; great for evening walks.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Not that it's been that cold around here, but we received 45cm of white shit during the past 24 hours and we expect another 5cm to 10cm before tomorrow's afternoon. Apparently, it's the largest amount of white shit in a 24 hours period since people started measuring this in Montréal. Downtown Montréal was paralysed for much of the day.

Getting my car out of the igloo that felt above it was fun. Took me about 25 minutes before I could move it out of the glacier on the side of the road where I left it this morning. No, I don't have any picture.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
That's a given in this town (seaside). RH Max of 91-92%.

I bought a dry cabinet a long time ago to keep my Nikon D700 and two pro grade zoom lenses safe.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'd need to get a larger one to sleep in. Cold I can handle, heat is tolerable, but humidity is crippling. When I last went through that part of the world I could never get a full nights sleep. I remember taking a shower, lying under the ceiling fan that was over the bed, and never getting dry.

But I'm sure you have AC running full time.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
The ACs are on 365 days a year regardless of outside temperature every night in the two bedrooms. For 9 months of the year, the two living room ACs run for about 12 hours during the day. My electricity bill is not funny to look at. I am pretty much the highest payer in every apartment complex I live in. People usually fall off the chair if they find out the amount. We're hoping to move to the city we want to live in, about 270 miles due west going inland. Temperatures are more moderate there, and in winter, it can get chilly. Humidity is in the 50s and 60s. ACs are seldom used there, but I will take a few of mine. Urban sprawl has contibuted to rise in mean city temperature.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
We drove out to the high desert. Highs are in the upper 40s with lows in the upper 20s. The weather is not bad at all.