Casual observation about ads on regular (NTSC) TV

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
I've begun to notice that a lot of advertisements are using the 16:9 AR for the main content.

Handruin

Administrator
I haven't noticed this yet. I don't watch a ton of TV either, but still, I haven't seen it at all. (at least that I'm aware)

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Um, off hand the only examples I can think of right now are some auto commerials (but I don't have any specifics in mind) and some TSN (the sports network) ads too.

I'll take note of some specifc examples over the next couple of days.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Quickly, from memory, some of the 16:9 (or very close to it) AR ads that I noted over a brief period of channel surfing last night:

Cdn specific ads:
- Rogers Wireless network commercial (uses Jesus Jones Right here, right now song)
- Yamaha.ca Motorcycles ATBs
- one for some CBC program that I didn't catch the name of
- TSN plug of upcoming misc. sporting events

Ones I suspect American viewers should have encountered too:
- Mazada RX-8 commercial (guy hugs his red mazda in his garage)
- Baileys Mints (three woman drinking in the driveway)
- Gain laundry detergent (lady goes into neighbours backyard to smell their laundry and then gets caught)
- Tampex (teacher doesn't recognize item and asks female student if they brought enough for everyone else - just enough for the girls)
- Gap something resistant Khankis (uses I'm free to do what I want song)

There were a few more, but those "files" have been purged or overwritten
:D

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Actually, I noticed that most of HBO's promos for its self-produced content are 16x9.

Its commercial for the new season of 6 Feet Under is absolutely the best-produced commercial I've ever seen, BTW.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
As studios make the transition to HD recording, widescreen will become the norm. Many shows are shot in HD and just down-converted to Never Twice Same Color. That commercials are appearing WS shouldn't be too much of a surprise; they show those on HD channels, too, don't they?

SteveC

Storage is cool
CityK said:
I've begun to notice that a lot of advertisements are using the 16:9 AR for the main content.

I've noticed it during my annual overdose of college baseketball, this past weekend. I know that IBM has been doing it for at least a couple years.

Fushigi said:
As studios make the transition to HD recording, widescreen will become the norm. Many shows are shot in HD and just down-converted to Never Twice Same Color. That commercials are appearing WS shouldn't be too much of a surprise; they show those on HD channels, too, don't they?

The only time I've seem commercials in HD was during the Super Bowl. And then it was just the movie trailers and the Ford GT commercial just before kick-off. Even the ads for network shows shot in HD are shown in standard def. on the HD channels.