Case with most 5.25 bays, to use multiple removeable Hard Drive bays?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Hi
Time to rebuild. I have a LOT of hard drives.
Like to be able to move data between drives, and, need a LOT of multiple removable hard drive bays.

Suggestions for cases that support the max number of hard drive bays, and don't sound like jet engines?

Suggestions for server cases that would house multiple internal drives, without sounding like a 747?

Suggestions for cases that support multiple internal drives, like 10?

Stereodude

Not really a
You're looking for a dinosaur. Conventional PC cases have moved away from large numbers of 5.25" bays. Quite a few don't have any. Some rack mount servers have lots of removable 3.5" HDD bays, but they don't tend to be quiet.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
You're looking for a dinosaur. Conventional PC cases have moved away from large numbers of 5.25" bays. Quite a few don't have any. Some rack mount servers have lots of removable 3.5" HDD bays, but they don't tend to be quiet.

Sounds like Santilli already has some supermicro 5.25" to multiple 3.5" drive hot swap bays.

Greg, would something like this work for you? 8 hot swap 3.5" SAS/SATA bays in a tower form factor, and two 5.25" external bays.

https://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16811152135

Handruin

Administrator
Check out the Rosewill RSV-L4500 - 4U for 15 x 3.5" internal drive bays.

If you would like a case with 12 hot swap 3.5" bays, check out the Rosewill RSV-L4412 - 4U. I have this case with 12 x 7200RPM drives in it and it's surprisingly quiet for what it is. The cost is also very good given the amount of included hardware, fans, etc. I agree with SD in that modern cases have very few 5.25" bays these days.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Hi
Time to rebuild. I have a LOT of hard drives.
Like to be able to move data between drives, and, need a LOT of multiple removable hard drive bays.
Suggestions for cases that support the max number of hard drive bays, and don't sound like jet engines?
Suggestions for server cases that would house multiple internal drives, without sounding like a 747?
Suggestions for cases that support multiple internal drives, like 10?

If you don't need to remove the HDD's often, and can do with removing a side panel when you do, the Antec Nineteen Hundred has a good amount of HDD slots.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Ideal would be a case with the front panel 10-12 5.25 inch drive bays, though that would be overkill.

Handruin

Administrator
The rosewill case I linked earlier already comes with 12 x hot swap drive bays and 120mm fans to keep them cool. You will likely end up spending more for that Antec case and then adding in the 5 in 3 bay hot swap units unless if you already own them. Those will also be noisier.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I have two of the Supermicro 5-n-3 hot swap units. I replaced the fans with ones that have a built in temperature control. Nice and quiet, even in an office.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
My problem with my SM backplane was driver support, and inadequate, quite, fan solutions for the box.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Oddly, supermicro's did have drivers...
To be honest, when the new OS came out, we built a new computer, with a new OS, and ditched the old back planes, due to lack or drivers, bad fans, etc.

It's easier to have 3 or more drive bays,with replaceable drive bays, in the front, then a 5 drive bay that has a fan that sounds like a jet, required to keep it cool.

Handruin

Administrator
That doesn't sound right to me for a backplane. Maybe it's considered some other kind of device. Since you're adding in a driver, what does the driver represent under device manager?