Can't switch to different monitor - ' No Signal ' after Win 10 Starts Spinning

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Howdy -

My Dad has a 20" 1920x1080 monitor. I decided to switch him to an old 22" 1680x1050 monitor I have because it would be easier for him to see everything.

The system is about 5 years old. Sandy Bridge in an Intel H61 motherboard using integrated graphics. System has an SSD and runs great.

So I turned on the PC with the old monitor and changed the resolution to 800x600 to ensure there should be no problem with starting up with the new monitor. Shut the system down. When I plug in the new monitor and boot up the system I see the startup screen. Next, I see the Windows logo spinning and then the screen goes blank and the monitor tells me there is 'no signal'. Definitely not Plug-N-Play! LOL .

What am I doing wrong?

I noticed the DVI port on the old Hansspree monitor only says DVI on it and the new one says DVI-D. Is that part of the issue? The "new" monitor only has DVI-D or VGA (no HDMI).

Motherboard is Intel BOXDH67CLB3 LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I probably have a couple systems with Intel H67 boards, but if I had to guess, I'd say the 22" monitor is being stupid about the 800x600 resolution. If you go in to Setttings and look under Troubleshooting and then the Advanced Options, you should see "Advanced Boot Modes." These include good old Safe Mode, but also Low Resolution (VGA) mode, which is 640x480x16, which should work with absolutely everything. Once you're in that, you can switch up as you see fit.

If you really need it I can try a 1650 or 1440xwhatever vs a 1920x1080 monitor on an H67 system.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks Merc. I've had so little time to play with Win10 I didn't even know how to get into Safe Mode! I tried your suggestion on my own PC to see how it works. Everything was just as you said, except Low Res mode gave me 1024x768 on my machine. I expect even the most retarted monitor could accept that. I'm sure there is something borked with the driver loading on my Dad's machine and getting into Safe Mode will likely fix it. I should get around to looking at it again in the next week or so. Thanks for taking the time. No need for you to mess with your system...

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
SO...I got another go at it but no luck. Was able to restart the machine in Safe Mode and install the new monitor. Could even adjust the screen resolution up and down a bit w/o trouble and reboot.....but only into Safe Mode. One thing I did note that as I was adjusting the resolution up and down, the 1680x1050 native resolution of the new monitor (Acer AL2223W) was *not* shown as an option - as if the monitor was not being detected correctly. Also note, the resolution of the older smaller monitor I am trying to replace is 1920x1080.

As soon as I went to do a regular reboot with all the drivers loaded, the monitor would 'no signal' on me. I'm sure it is getting a signal but I think that when I normal boot the machine with the new monitor attached, it is still trying to use the 1920x1080 resolution that is not supported by the 'new' monitor. Somehow I need to figure out how to force a specific resolution at boot, I think. DVI is the connection being used, by the way.

Any use trying to use HDMI? The monitor only has DVI & VGA so I would need to use an adapter to use the HDMI port on the motherboard with the DVI or VGA port on the monitor.

Right now it seems that if I want to get my parents something bigger for their eyes, I need to get them something that will support 1920x1080.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
You could just spend $120 and get them a 24" something-or-other. I've definitely had machines where oddball resolutions like 1650 and 1440xwhatever needed driver updates to be supported by Windows XP and Vista, but I haven't seen that on anything newer. Sounds like something isn't plugging and playing the way it's supposed to.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Yeah I think that is my next step. Christmas gift for them is already planned...just need to watch for a good deal on a big monitor with relatively low pixel density.