Can't find bluetooth gateway

ddrueding

Fixture
You'd think this would be an easy thing.

-Pairs to phone in both handsfree (HFP) and audio (a2dp) modes
-has input for mic (XLR ideally but anything will do)
-has output for speakers (RCA ideally but anything will do)

In other words, I want just the BT part of a modern car head unit.

I can't be the only one, but I've been Googling for the damn thing for months now without luck.

I'd pay hundreds if the quality and reliability was there. There are a number of units on the market that use a built-in mic and plug into the cigarette lighter, but nothing that allows me to pull audio from a good source and send the audio to a good amp.

Or my Google-fu is really fu'd.

Help?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
You might be able to do something with Pushbullet + If This Then That. There are definitely bluetooth speakers that include a mic, but mic + aux out seems to be a tall order.

ddrueding

Fixture
You might be able to do something with Pushbullet + If This Then That. There are definitely bluetooth speakers that include a mic, but mic + aux out seems to be a tall order.

Indeed. At this point I'd be interested in commissioning some; I could personally use 4-5 and could easily sell another dozen. Anyone game for some software + minor EE?

Mercutio

I figured that would be too much of a time investment for dd. I spent a couple weekends screwing around to get an Rpi working right with an NFC sensor to toggle bluetooth inputs on my phone and that was mostly following a recipe.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Maybe. Sounds like a fun project to me, if I had the time. Looks like a hifiberry would be desired too.

ddrueding

Fixture
Maybe. Sounds like a fun project to me, if I had the time. Looks like a hifiberry would be desired too.

HiFiBerry looks like a neat project. Should I be taking this idea to a rasberry pi forum of some kind? Does that seem to be the optimum solution?

Thanks!

Handruin

Administrator

ddrueding

Fixture
First application would be automotive, then possibly aviation, then home.

I don't see how your configuration could get the mic audio back into the phone for handsfree calling?

I'd love some help; but "help" might be an understatement. I'm not a programmer of any kind and I'm pretty poor at the EE side as well. I know nothing about the BT protocols required or pairing or pre-amps. I suspect that their is a larger market for this thing, but I fear that development costs would be significant enough to actually require marketing it in the end.

Mercutio

Hardware hackers have figured out how to add aux out to an Amazon Echo, who is a pretty cool piece of hardware for a lot of other reasons. I'm not sure it's practical for Aviation, but it would work well in a home setting.