Canada

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I must be the last one in the US never to go Canada. Unfortunately there are no decent flights with less than 3-4 stops to reach my destination or less than $2000. :geek: I'm thinking about flying to Montana instead, renting a vehicle, and then driving to Canada. Does anybody else ever do that and is there anything I should be concerned about? From what I read, mains power is the same as in the US, so I should not need to bring anything special with me.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Make sure you have your passport or "enhanced" drivers license. Birth certificate is no longer sufficient for crossings.

Also be sure the rental company knows you are going to Canada (call the local rental office to be sure). They can provide a non-resident Canadian insurance card (should be no charge). If you are staying longer than 30 days let the border guy know and they can give you an extension.

Handruin

Administrator
Also, if you use/carry a cell phone, be aware of extra charges while going into another country. Things like data usage, txt messages, and then basic air time will be substantially higher.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Since the temperatures are climbing, you could drive North up to Silver City. Then, walk West through the montains for a few days (~130Km) and climb Mount Logan. The view at the top is supposed to be great. Descent by the South-West side and climb Mount St-Elias (only a 30Km walk). You'll see the Pacific Ocean from the top. When on the top of Mount St-Elias, you'll be on the border of the two countries. But no patrol should bother you there for your passport. Once there, you shouldn't cross the border because there are no U.S. cities closer than Silver City in Canada. So you turn back and walk another 3 or 4 days in the wilderness to find back your rental car.

Have a nice trip in Canada.

LunarMist

I have not been to Canada before and traveling alone makes me nervous. :eek3: It's not a simple journey like getting to the bush in Africa.

LunarMist

Since the temperatures are climbing, you could drive North up to Silver City. Then, walk West through the montains for a few days (~130Km) and climb Mount Logan. The view at the top is supposed to be great. Descent by the South-West side and climb Mount St-Elias (only a 30Km walk). You'll see the Pacific Ocean from the top. When on the top of Mount St-Elias, you'll be on the border of the two countries. But no patrol should bother you there for your passport. Once there, you shouldn't cross the border because there are no U.S. cities closer than Silver City in Canada. So you turn back and walk another 3 or 4 days in the wilderness to find back your rental car.

Then they can bury my ass on the mountain. ;-) Nowadays I can exert reasonable effort for about 5 minutes before I start violently coughing and wheezing.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
I have not been to Canada before and traveling alone makes me nervous. :eek3: It's not a simple journey like getting to the bush in Africa.

Don't worry nothing ever happens in Canada.

You might want to bring something to entertain yourself with.

LunarMist

:-D There are only 5 days of action, so not much time for that. I will be on what was a ranch though.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Not that it's my fight to fight, but I'm curious about the reason behind your antipathy against Canadians. I could understand it from someone living in a state close to the border, like Michigan or North Dakota, but from a Floridian? Shouldn't you care more about Cubans?

As far as playing dead, they aren't much different than you are. You share the same origins. They chose to kiss the king's ass (George III back then) while you prefered independance, but you're basicly the same people. And it's kind of weird to throw that when you come from a country where being obese is the norm. If you were Scandinavian, then you could allow yourself to say that (they are generally in a much better shape than us, the North Americans).

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Not that it's my fight to fight, but I'm curious about the reason behind your antipathy against Canadians. I could understand it from someone living in a state close to the border, like Michigan or North Dakota, but from a Floridian? Shouldn't you care more about Cubans?

As far as playing dead, they aren't much different than you are. You share the same origins. They chose to kiss the king's ass (George III back then) while you prefered independance, but you're basicly the same people. And it's kind of weird to throw that when you come from a country where being obese is the norm. If you were Scandinavian, then you could allow yourself to say that (they are generally in a much better shape than us, the North Americans).

Huh? I don't dislike Canadians (or anyone else for that matter) I was simply poking fun at the stereotypical Canadian. In no way is it deserved, but Canada and Canadians are perceived as being boring here in the states.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Ah, I see. That perception is weird. It's like having two identical twins and one saying to the other : "Damn, you're ugly!"

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Dear Lunarmist, I have developed new product for outdoorsman traveling with bears such as yourself called Sacrificial Fish. It is small portion of Salmon with bones removed. A companion product is also available of lox and bagel, for desperate times. The airtight packaging is currently in beta but testing going very well. .

Would like to take on trip?

LunarMist

Huh? I don't dislike Canadians (or anyone else for that matter) I was simply poking fun at the stereotypical Canadian. In no way is it deserved, but Canada and Canadians are perceived as being boring here in the states.

Really? I always thought most Americans were boring and Canadians just colder from the lattitude.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Don't worry nothing ever happens in Canada....
Canadians are perceived as being boring

Not true! Why, just yesterday I saw four - count 'em - four squirrels on my front lawn, instead of the regular two. Sure as heck one of the most pandemoniacal moments I sures cans remembers around these parts.

LunarMist

From what I read, customs will not allow some products between borders. I'm not sure about that. :-D

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
From what I read, customs will not allow some products between borders. I'm not sure about that. :-D

I see you tough customer and unwilling to take customs risk. Instead let me give you free little tip from old country.

You no need outrun bear. You only need outrun other guy.

:-D

And don't frighten the cattles!

LunarMist

I see you tough customer and unwilling to take customs risk. Instead let me give you free little tip from old country.

You no need outrun bear. You only need outrun other guy.

:-D

And don't frighten the cattles!

I have heard that joke many times about lions. I'm not sure that the US is the old country, or where were the bears? :)

LunarMist

It wouldn't work with lions - they hunt in groups.

Yes, but when a single prey animal is brought down they will normally all go for that one. I've seen it many times.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Yes, but when a single prey animal is brought down they will normally all go for that one. I've seen it many times.

On the other hand if you pass through Detroit on your way to the great white north be sure to run. The Detroit Lions have a lot of trouble bringing runners down.

(Err... relax people that fills my bad joke quotta for the day.)

LunarMist

Detroit no doubt would be very frightening place for me. I have not been to the NYC either. I'll take my chances on the SG, although I would not survive a minute without a guide.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Detroit is weird. I've been there three times. Twice on trips to Windsor. Every time I've been there, there has been very little traffic. Once, when my destination was actually the convention center smack dab in the middle of downtown, I was able to look both ways at an intersection and not see any other cars or people moving.

LunarMist

Detroit is weird. I've been there three times. Twice on trips to Windsor. Every time I've been there, there has been very little traffic. Once, when my destination was actually the convention center smack dab in the middle of downtown, I was able to look both ways at an intersection and not see any other cars or people moving.

Maybe is because the criminals are lurking around or the area is nearly abandoned?

LunarMist

Sure, and it would be the last time.
Anyways, I'd rather be where I can be. I'm not sure why it is there in Canada, but the leaders have decided on the place.

LunarMist

Does the GPS work correctly in Canada? I would assume so, but has anyone crossed the border with one in place?