Buying an electric shaver!?

M

marrio

Hello.
I am looking for a good electric shaver. In the old days I used a Philips dry shaver, which I actually liked. I know that there is the eternal "dispute" between Braun and Philips ;-)
Maybe someone can recommend 1 or 2 good models. Price may also be a bit more expensive, the main thing is that the shave is thorough.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I realize that we may never hear from the OP again, but I would like to second Stereodude's recommendation. I've owned many Philips, Braun and now Panasonic shavers.

The Philips are good for longer hair but cannot easily produce as close a shave as foil shavers. You end up rubbing your skin raw. They're also terrible to clean.

I may be comparing apples to oranges in terms of models, but I thought my Braun shavers were easier to use - I found it took a while to become efficient with a Panasonic. That's the only advantage I can think of, otherwise the Panasonic kills it. The biggest feature for me is Panasonic's linear motor. It works great when it's fully charged, and it works just as well when there's 20% charge left - unlike my Braun shavers.

I have found that a typical 3-head foil layout is the minimum. The middle head usually has a more open comb to grab longer hairs. I can't see the point in a bulky 5-head model and I think the Arc 4 is obsolete, so I would suggest 3-head models. Don't forget you need to replace the comb and cutter assemblies every year or two, so simpler generally equals less cost.

You don't need a cleaning station with a Panasonic. They really are waterproof, and very well made.

Handruin

Administrator
I have to give it to you...you put in the effort to try and get your spammy links in. Too bad all three of your accounts blew your load too early.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I ended up buying this shaver:

https://shop.panasonic.com/personal-care/mens-shavers-and-grooming/mens-shavers/ES-RT51-S.html

Very good shave, easy to clean, uses parts that have been around a long time.

Waterproof as well.

Did find out something interesting about plastic bodied shavers. They warp, and parts that fit one don't fit another.
Sometimes, it's just better to buy a new product.
tried to replace the battery and some other parts from another shaver into mine, and it didn't work.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture

Handruin

Administrator
Probably because having someone recommend to you which shaver is best for your fleshy-fun bridge is not typically a public conversation. If you want to know which shaver is best for your ballsack you might need to google for it.

LunarMist

Probably because having someone recommend to you which shaver is best for your fleshy-fun bridge is not typically a public conversation. If you want to know which shaver is best for your ballsack you might need to google for it.

I see your point. It's just that everyone puts so many details in the product reviews nowadays I did not think it was too personal.

LunarMist

This is not a place to be cheap. The emergency care bill will far exceed the savings. :lol:

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I'm not even buying the necessity yet. I was doing a search, since it seems the last time I did this, in high school for swim team, it got very itchy growing back in.

I wonder if these guys aren't creating stuff to sell products....

sedrosken

Florida Man
Personally for my face I first use an electric shaver, then, if I have time, I go over it with a 5-blade pull razor. Anything below face-level I try to leave alone if I can.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Did a bit of research yesterday. It appears that having hair in areas gives the germs that create odor a place to grow.

The suggestion for cleaning these areas is Nair.

twice daily use of a antigerm agent, Hydrogen Peroxide, rubbing alcohol, and a deoderant. Morning and night, and anti-perspirant helps, since germs need moisture.

Shaving for me is using a Double edged razor, Merkur, with Feather Japanese blasdes. This combination is by far the best at cutting close, and the blades are amazing. They stay sharp for nearly a week, if dried out, hung dry.

Around my nose I use an electric, usually the Norelco I mentioned above. It's had the blades replaced with cheap ones, but cuts fast, and, elimenates the threat of a deep vein cut in the nose area.

Stereodude

Not really a
Did a bit of research yesterday. It appears that having hair in areas gives the germs that create odor a place to grow.

The suggestion for cleaning these areas is Nair.

twice daily use of a antigerm agent, Hydrogen Peroxide, rubbing alcohol, and a deoderant. Morning and night, and anti-perspirant helps, since germs need moisture.

Shaving for me is using a Double edged razor, Merkur, with Feather Japanese blasdes. This combination is by far the best at cutting close, and the blades are amazing. They stay sharp for nearly a week, if dried out, hung dry.

Around my nose I use an electric, usually the Norelco I mentioned above. It's had the blades replaced with cheap ones, but cuts fast, and, elimenates the threat of a deep vein cut in the nose area.
Thanks for informing us of your odor problems. :salut:

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Nair does not appear to be a really good solution, since many people appear to have reactions to it.