Burning program for backup

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
I'm in need of a program that will allow me to make either a scheduled backup of a folder to a CD-R/DVD+R or a "click-once" type of thing to do the same.

Any recommendations? They wouldn't go for a proper tape-system :(

At the moment I've got the burning program that comes with a LG DVD-+RW station.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
A batch file that uses the COPY or XCOPY commands? That always seems to work for me.

I know of a company called Retrospect that has backup software. I'm not sure how it will work with DVDs, but it can work with CDs.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I've been waiting to see if anyone else said anything ...

Didn't The Jojo stipulate +/-R media, not RW? If so, how will you mount the disc to be accessible to Xcopy?

ddrueding

Fixture
Mercutio said:
IIRC XP and 2003 Server have a writecd command...

They do. but you need to have the ISO created for it to work. I ended up making this massive series of scripts that:

1. Copied the data to a single (local) folder
2. Compressed the data into a RAR file
3. Verified the RAR against the folder
4. Deleted the local folder (optional - saves space)
5. Turned the RAR file into an ISO image
6. Burned the ISO to DVD
7. Verified the RAR on the DVD to the original
8. Erased the RAR and ISO files

This is a giant cludge, and I'm too embarrased about the mess it's in to even post my work. And needless to say it has no support for backups that exceed the 8.3GB size limit of the DVD.

If anyone has a cleaner solution I'd love to hear it.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
If I used a CD-RW, the batch file would then first need to erase/format the disc, then copy the files to it and verify them, right?

What would I use for erasing the disc?
Can I then just copy "xcopy x:\directory z: /v/e"? Assuming z: would be the DVD-RW/CD-RW station.

Just did an erase in my XP and then tried copying, but no go. What am I missing here?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The command line I gave you only copies files that have changed since the last backup. Isn't that what you'd want?

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Mercutio,
Yes, that's what I wan't. The problem here being I tried to copy a folder from my HD to my DVD-RW station that had a CD-RW disc in it, and it's a no go.
Why didn't it see it as a writable media? Or was there just a typo that I made......?