Bluetooth speakers

Handruin

Administrator
That's a really strange feature I wasn't expecting from a Bluetooth speaker. Any improved audio from the newer version?

Stereodude

Not really a
I couldn't tell. It was too noisy and didn't have any point of reference for comparison or familiarity with what was being played.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Sony added 1 to the model numbers. So XB41, XB31 etc. for 2018. They're wrapped in a fabric of sorts and have a "live" mode where you can play them like a drum by tapping on them. the sound effects get superimposed on the music.

I can just hear kids doing that and annoying everyone. ;)

LunarMist

Will the XB30 be discontinued and discounted soon? I'm thinking about sending a signal to the toilets.

Stereodude

Not really a
Will the XB30 be discontinued and discounted soon? I'm thinking about sending a signal to the toilets.
I bought myself an XB40 during Black Friday when it was $100 off. I would expect the XB30 will be discounted when they close them out.

LunarMist

I bought myself an XB40 during Black Friday when it was $100 off. I would expect the XB30 will be discounted when they close them out.

Did you find the XB40 to have cleaner midrange sound than the XB3 or XB30 and/or better directionality of the highs?
I was thinking about placing the old XB3s in the toilets vs. using something new on the nightstands to play overnight.

Handruin

Administrator
He mentioned in an earlier post that it was too noisy to tell and no other point of reference.

Stereodude

Not really a
He mentioned in an earlier post that it was too noisy to tell and no other point of reference.
XB41 was at CES. XB40 is last year's model and I have one at home. I didn't extensively A/B the XB3 and the XB40, but I thought they sounded similar with the XB40 able to play louder before rolling off the bass.

LunarMist

My bad, I thought he was asking about the new one.

I'm trying to avoid spending another $500 for a couple of speakers plus transmitters and I don't need that "bongo" feature. :)
Obviously the sounds in the toilet are harsh, so I'd put the better speakers in the #1 bedroom.

Handruin

Administrator
Order one from Amazon or B&H and if it's no good, return it. If that's too much of a pain do the same at BestBuy.

LunarMist

I once ordered online from the Best Buy and picked up the product in the store. It took forever for them to even find it after standing in the line. :(

Striker

Learning Storage Performance
I've done that several times and never had that experience. I suspect it was a one time deal. I wouldn't let it discourage me from doing it again if it was otherwise the most attractive option.

LunarMist

I've done that several times and never had that experience. I suspect it was a one time deal. I wouldn't let it discourage me from doing it again if it was otherwise the most attractive option.

It probably depends on the store. The one nearest to the office is one of the worst.
There is usually one cashier at most, yet a number of goofballs are usually milling around the phone area or Apple area. They never open another checkout or customer service line.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I was considering buying a new version of the Klipsch Pro Media 2.1's. They've been getting rave reviews for 20 years.
The Bluetooth models use a dongle that is synced to only that set of speakers, and that's the only way to access them. Plug the USB dongle in, and they work.

NOT what I had in mind.
I wanted something I could hook up to a variety of Bluetooth devices.

The solution:
Klipsch R-15PM's.
They are your more or less normal 500.00 Klipsch speakers, with a remote, powered internally, accepting a bunch of different ways to access them, including regular Bluetooth.

https://www.klipsch.com/products/r-15pm-powered-monitors

So how do they sound? Like a Klipsch home theatre, without the sub, but I'm getting to that. Base from the speakers is actually pretty good, and they rock.
Watching Kong Skill Island, and it's pretty amazing. Using the Aux cable, on board sound card.

Now the fun part.

I moved recently and sold my Klipsch 4.1's and my Hereseys. I did keep the KSW-12 subwoofer.

It's hooked up to the system, and you would think Kong is in the room.

https://www.klipsch.com/products/ksw-12-subwoofer

The r-15PMs are being taken out of production, so they are pretty near half price. 269.00 at best buy. THAT is one hell of a deal compared to the Pro Media 2.1's, and their limited Blue Tooth functions.

Overall, it's been a real good computer day.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Both Best Buy and Fry's will price match.
Fry's dropped the speakers down to best buys 269 from 299.

Subwoofer cable from Best Buy was listed at 35 dollars. Price matched to Amazon for 20 dollars.

LunarMist

I bought an XB31 a couple months ago as there have been issues with the L-R pair of XB30s losing connection with each other. I finally got around to checking it out and there is no included AC power supply.
Not only that but it won't pair with either of the XB30s. I suppose S*NY has changed the coding or something. :(

Stereodude

Not really a
I bought an XB31 a couple months ago as there have been issues with the L-R pair of XB30s losing connection with each other. I finally got around to checking it out and there is no included AC power supply.
Not only that but it won't pair with either of the XB30s. I suppose S*NY has changed the coding or something. :(
So how do you charge it?

LunarMist

It uses micro USB. The whole thing is a rip-off because they kept the MRSP price the same as the old xb30. This week I bought a second one on sale and will try to synch them. I have to order some long USB cables to keep them plugged in.