Blue-Rays for XP64?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
By the end of the year I will have about a dozen of the Blue_RAY discs. Internal SATA players are now in the $75 range, so I was thinking about buying one. I know that XP lacks HardOCP or whatever that DRM functionality does. Is there any way to directly play the Blue-RAY discs in XP64? I'm not interested in the ripping of BD or any other funny business. Thanks.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
What video card will you be using?

The monitor needs to support DVI with HDCP or HDMI.

Then some playback software, I believe Santilli has tried out several versions. If it's a retail drive it may come bundled with some.

Stereodude

Not really a
I think analog / VGA output also still works.

Blu-Ray playback works under XP x86 (32-bit), but I've never tried it or read anything about XP x64.

Picard

What is this storage?
I've had better luck with VGA then either DVI or HDMI to TV's. That is, I can get the correct resolution with VGA, not so with DVI and HDMI, and the resulting picture quality is way better when the resolution is correct.

You will need a software player to play blu-ray. I use Media Player Classic, it's free, and it works. I've tried VLC, but it's not worked as well as Media Player Classic. You can get Media Player Classic here:
http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/

Picard

What is this storage?
You will need a software player to play blu-ray. I use Media Player Classic, it's free, and it works. I've tried VLC, but it's not worked as well as Media Player Classic. You can get Media Player Classic here:

LunarMist

What video card will you be using?

The monitor needs to support DVI with HDCP or HDMI.

Then some playback software, I believe Santilli has tried out several versions. If it's a retail drive it may come bundled with some.

The monitor supports:
Video Input Terminals DVI-I 29 pin × 2 (with HDCP), DisplayPort (with HDCP)
Analog is not an option.

The main computer (XP64) has this card and the other (XP64 or XP32, not boot) has this one. I also have an Asus EAH4350 silent card and an XFX 8040GS something that could be used, or I could buy something new if needed.

Stereodude

Not really a
Well, I went and did your homework for you.

Arcsoft Total Media Theater 3 says it needs:
Windows XP SP2 32-bit, Windows Vista 32/64-bit and Windows7 32/64-bit

PowerDVD 10 says it needs:
Microsoft Windows 7, Vista* and XP SP3* (Windows XP Service Pack 3 is required)

WinDVD Pro 2010 says it needs:
Windows 7, Windows XP SP3 or Windows Vista SP1 (recommended)

Now, I have no idea what will happen if you try them on XP x64, but it doesn't look promising.

Handruin

Administrator

Oh wow...I haven't seen you post in years! How have you been?

Edit, sorry your posts didn't show up right away, I have a new spam filter for users who post URLS and are under a certain threshold (more for spammers). They are put into a moderator queue to be approved.

Stereodude

Not really a
I've had better luck with VGA then either DVI or HDMI to TV's. That is, I can get the correct resolution with VGA, not so with DVI and HDMI, and the resulting picture quality is way better when the resolution is correct.

Neither has the disc decryption portion of the equation covered, which is why I didn't mention them in my summary. They probably have the best shot of being able to play back a blu-ray under XP x64, but that would be movie only playback, no menus or anything, and he'd need AnyDVD HD.

LunarMist

Edit, sorry your posts didn't show up right away, I have a new spam filter for users who post URLS and are under a certain threshold (more for spammers). They are put into a moderator queue to be approved.

No wonder the sequence was odd! I thought it was a hallucination.

Handruin

Administrator
I implemented a new plugin over the weekend to help reduce future spam. It's now checking two spam lists and also moderators new posts with embedded URLs until the user reaches a certain level of posts. When the posts are removed as spam, their data is submitted to the spam lists so they're added to it.

Picard

What is this storage?
Neither has the disc decryption portion of the equation covered, which is why I didn't mention them in my summary. They probably have the best shot of being able to play back a blu-ray under XP x64, but that would be movie only playback, no menus or anything, and he'd need AnyDVD HD.

I've had no problem playing encryped blu-rays with Media Player Classic. I'm pretty sure that's because it can.

Picard

What is this storage?

I thought I goofed.
And I've been good.

Picard

What is this storage?

You may be right about the menu's. I've only played movie only blu-rays with it, not tried with a regualr disk.

Picard

What is this storage?
Come to think of it, I have not played encrypted blu-rays with Media Player Classic, so stereodud is correct.