Bloody Red Hat 9.0 can't find path to C compiler

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
So obviously, I can't ./compile anything, which is quite annoying to say the least.

How can I set the correct path to the C compiler (presumably GCC) in Linux so that the clueless operating system can allow me to compile new applications I need to install. Since not everything is available in .rpm and that even when they are, they don't always work anyway, well being able to compile would be quite useful. Without it, downloading tarball serves nothing.

When I try to compile something, I end up with the funny creative following message :
Code:
Configuring Apache Portable Runtime library ...

checking for APR... reconfig
configuring package in srclib/apr now
checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking target system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
Configuring APR library
Platform: i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking for working mkdir -p... yes
APR Version: 0.9.4
checking for chosen layout... apr
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cl... no
configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
configure failed for srclib/apr

Strangely, however, I'm not amuse. Could someone be kind enough to tell me how to restify this small errata?

Errata = wrong $PATH by the way. srclib/apr doesn't exist on my distro.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
checking for gcc... no

When you installed redhat, did you isntall the packages with the GCC compiler? I believe these might be in the "developement" section...

by default you should have a gcc shortcut in /usr/bin that points to whatever verions of gcc you have installed. I can almost assuredly say that /usr/bin is already in your path.

simonstre

What is this storage?
Shit happens. After upgrading gcc to version 3.2.2, it seems to work. I really, really love Linux. And they ask me why I still use Windows..... :eek:

Note : the compiler that comes with RedHat 9.0 release (2.9.6) doesn't work at all. Very useful, isn't it?

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
i think the same thing happenned in redhat 7.0... they FUD'd up the compiler and I couldnt compile ANYTHING that I tried... I just went back to 6.2 immediately.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
blakerwry said:
When you installed redhat, did you install the packages with the GCC compiler? I believe these might be in the "developement" section...
Thanks for the tip, it might have been the problem, although I can't figure out why the whole GCC compiler shouldn't be installed by default during the installation, since you can't do much when it's absent.

Anyway, now most of the things work. We were quite proud of ourselves at the end of the day and we've learned much.

Something we haven't figured out though is how to tell Red Hat to use Apache 2.0.47 instead of the old 2.0.40 that came with the RH 9.0 install disc. We've installed the latest version of the HTTP server, but even after we've shut down the httpd server and relaunched it, RH still uses the old 2.0.40 version. We haven't found out where to modify this setting.

Red Hat has some very unusual and non-standard places to store common files and applications. It's becoming somehow annoying at times to have to constantly search the drive for pieces that aren't where you would normally expect them to be.