Bloody garbage NTDLL.DLL

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Well we've been having continous problems with an app of ours crashing when run under winXP Pro, bastard NTDLLL.DLL is the one that crashes. Usually when two or more instances are accessing the same drive. Anyway I finally did a bit of research and figgered out that it's one of MS's own critical updates (namely Q815021) that updates NTDLL into a version that could best be described as an unstable POS. Of course it doesn't have the decency to appear in add/remove proggies. Have to fiddle about in the reg to find the uninstall string. Anyway it's uninstalled and all is well again. Given that we don't run IIS we didn't need it anyway. Except I can't have auto updates running now because it wants to re-install the patch. And I guess I better leave a post-it note on the machine telling everyone else not to install it either. I can only imagine that SP2 is going to be a real diddle to work with.

Is it possible to block a critical patch from being installed?

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Can't you simply apply read-only security to that dll and thereby causing the patch to fail when it tries to update it?

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I'll prob have to go with Blake's recommendation. If I change the permissions on the DLL, then the patch will fail and it will want to try again the next time update runs.

Thanks guys.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
P5-133XL said:
Can't you simply apply read-only security to that dll and thereby causing the patch to fail when it tries to update it?

The OS would override it if part of an update.