Better audio from a laptop v. Aune Mini USB DAC / Headphone Amp MkII SE

Stereodude

Not really a
I wanted better audio from my laptop at work, so after reading a lot of reviews on head-fi.org and other places on the web I decided to dip my toe into the pool of USB DAC & Headphone amps. At first I had grandiose visions of spending a lot of money on a supposed really high quality setup, but later I came to my senses and decided to buy something more reasonably priced to start. This was mainly driven by my belief that the vast majority of the people posting on head-fi like most "audiophiles" are delusional consumers of snake oil hearing what they want to hear. ;-) So, I settled on a Aune Mini USB DAC / Headphone Amp MkII SE. It's solid state (no tubes to wear out or color the sound), does USB audio, drives a set of headphones, had good reviews, and didn't cost an arm and a leg.

Note: Mine did not come with the red MX500 earbuds show in the pictures or in the product listing.

I bought it from an ebay seller in China for $130 w/ free shipping (ebay listing). It arrived on my front porch in the US 12 days after I bought it.

One of my concerns was background hiss from the unit since my Shure E4 IEMs have a high sensitivity and low impedance which makes them both hard to drive typically suffering from low frequency roll-off and prone to exposing background noises in the headphone outputs of gear (buzzes, hums, hisses, etc). My work Lenovo T410 has rather audible low frequency rolloff with the E4's, but the background noise level was better than I expected. It suffered mostly from hiss. It's about on par with my Sansa Fuze in terms background noise. As a point of reference the Fuze doesn't have low frequency roll off which was somewhat rare in a PMP a few years ago (not sure about now). And, unless you're listening in a dead silent environment the background hiss from the Fuze gets lost in the small amount of ambient noise that sneaks past the isolating characteristics of the E4's.

So before purchasing the Aune I read every review I could find and didn't find anyone complaining of hiss so I hoped it would be safe. So, when I got it I was a little surprised to find a rather obvious background hiss with the Shure's. The Aune was much worse than the Lenovo T410 or the Sansa Fuze. The unit also had way too much output gain becoming too loud after about 20 degrees of rotation from the minimum position of the volume knob. So, I grabbed the inline volume control that came with the Shure's and used it to decrease the volume hiss until it was inaudible. Listening to the Aune with the inline volume control in the output path I was happy with the sound quality of the Aune over USB, so I decided to modify the unit to put some series output resistance inline with the headphone output internally to kill the hiss. I opened it up and found these 3.01ohm 1% 1/2 watt resistors already in series with the headphone output.

So the modification will be easy, just replace them with a larger value. I measured the resistance of the inline volume control when the hiss had been completely suppressed and found it was about 200 ohms. I then confirmed with my Sony MDR-V6's (the only other pair of headphones I might use with the Aune) that the extra 200 ohms in series with the output didn't prevent the Aune from still generating more than enough listening volume. Even with the extra 200 ohms inline the less sensitive MDR-V6's was unbearably loud with the volume 1/2 way up in the 12 o'clock position.

One other thing I found in the reviews was that some of the Head-Fi crowd thought the Aune sounded better with a 18V DC input than the 12V DC input it shipped with in the past. :skepo: Mine came with a wall wart labelled for 220V / 50Hz input 15VDC / 1A output. I measured an open circuit voltage of 24.43V from it. :eek: The Aune is labelled as accepting 12-18V on the case, but a seller of it posted on Head-Fi that it could really take up to 24V. So I broke out a benchtop linear DC power supply and connected to the Aune to test the theory and found that starting at 12V the output volume increased slightly until about 13V and then held steady all the way up to 20V where I stopped testing. Unsurprisingly I didn't notice any sound quality differences. Current consumption increased as the voltage increased from .1A at 12V to .12A at 18V. Cranking the volume to the max with the Sony MDR-V6's connected (and not on my head) increased the current draw to .13A at 18V.

So, I decided to replaced the piece of crap wall wart that came with the unit with one that is actually properly regulated. I settled on a 15VDC / .8A unit from Mouser since there was no point in needless consuming more power at higher input voltages and 15V was past the point of increasing volume. Add in a few 200 ohm .1% tolerance 1/2W resistors and hopefully audio bliss awaits.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Wouldn't it have been simpler to just get something like this or this? They certainly provide better audio than whatever's been integrated in the laptop.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Cool mod.

At first, and not knowing a whole lot about electronics, I thought you were going to tell us you replaced the DAC chip in your laptop. Is that even possible? :)

ddrueding

Fixture
Very cool. I'm actually looking for something similar for use at my desk with my ultimate ears triplefi 10. With my mother-in-law living with us the headphones are getting used more and more.

Stereodude

Not really a
Wouldn't it have been simpler to just get something like this or this? They certainly provide better audio than whatever's been integrated in the laptop.
I don't trust Creative Labs as far as I could spit on them into a headwind. In the past their drivers sucked (no idea about now), and I have no reason to believe their headphone output is any quieter or more capable of driving low impedance headphones than what's already in the Lenovo.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Very cool!

Looks like there is a kit even, I just may have to do that.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Not specifically but:
http://shop2.hifidiy.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8_14&products_id=55
and
http://shop2.hifidiy.net/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=8_14

But really what I could use is this:
http://shop2.hifidiy.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8_11&products_id=30
or cheaper and already together
http://www.ebay.com/itm/110606594465?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I would like to put that together with a couple decent bookshelf speakers for the computer to replace the stuff I have here. Whats your opinion of that usb amp? Worth it?

Stereodude

Not really a
I guess it depends what you're after. Are you looking for something specifically with a small footprint or what? That USB amp probably wouldn't be my first choice, though I have no specific reason to avoid it.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Footprint is pretty important, I have a whole receiver here that won't fit on the desk but could do the same thing minus the USB. Those exact functions that covers with nothing more or less is what appeals to me. The X1/X2 combo for triple the price and double the footprint seem like the upgrade they have.

Will be interested to hear about other products like the mini USB amp there.

Stereodude

Not really a
I didn't see any reviews of it, so I can't speak to the specifics of it. Have you looked at the various T-amps? Or do you need an external DAC?

There's a variety of small form factor amps available here.

Stereodude

Not really a
Well, the 200ohm 1% resistors and 15V DC power adapter from Mouser arrived today. I swapped in the resistors and all is well. I can't hear the noise floor in the Aune anymore even with the Shure E4c IEMs.

Stereodude

Not really a
Is the sound quality noticeable with this product?
Are you asking if I can discern an improvement in the sound quality over the built in sound? Yes. It doesn't have any low frequency roll off, and now post resistor mod the noise floor is inaudible which brings out details in the treble where they had to compete with hiss.

Handruin

Administrator
I guess I should have been more specific with my question. Yes, I was curious if it was noticeably better over the built-in sound. Have you compared it with anything else you might have been using to drive your headphones? I would be curious to know opinions on how much better it would be compared to something like the Behringer UCA222 device when we're talking $130 vs $30 that would be used in a similar application (in my case, a Lenovo 500). I know the Behringer isn't a proper headphone amp per-se, but it does have headphone-out with a volume slider and can be used as an audio source for driving other devices.

Stereodude

Not really a
Most of the things I've tried to drive my E4c's have an unacceptably loud background hiss, even my two >$1k Pioneer Elite receivers, so I haven't spent much time listening to the E4c's with anything other then my Sansa Fuze. I need to spend some time listening to FLAC files with this Aune HP Amp (though I don't listen to FLAC files on the Fuze).

I should probably compare it to the output of my M-Audio Revolution 7.1 which is very good.

Stereodude

Not really a
Why not? The fact that Sandisk players support FLAC is probably the single biggest reason I bought one.
Because I can get a lot more music on it mp3 format (LAME -V1) rather than FLAC, and in most places I listen to it the environment isn't quiet enough to allow any sort of difference to be heard.

Stereodude

Not really a
It looks like if the stars align just right I can still hear a very faint / subtle hiss if I listen closely when nothing is playing. I guess I should have used a slightly higher value resistor. Oh well... It is very, very subtle and the environment has to be virtually silent to pick it up.

The modified Aune is still far and away the quietest source I have for listening to the Shure's. Maybe if I get really motivated I'll swap in a slightly higher value like 250 or 300 ohms. I had my coworker give a listen to it today with some of his music and headphones and he was walked away impressed.

Stereodude

Not really a
I undid output my resistor mod tonight so I could give the Aune a fair shake at driving the HifiMan HE-500 Planar Magnetic headphones I borrowed from a friend. The resulting audio quality of the HE-500's and the Aune is just scary good when playing bit perfect FLAC files.