Best opening scene for an action movie?

James

Storage is cool
The Replacement Killers was on TV tonight and it made me think about this topic - it has a pretty good one and is exquisitely shot, pun not intended.

What do you guys reckon is the best single scene - usually before or during the opening titles - for an action movie?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Let's be careful in our definition of "action" here. Remember who you're dealing with!

Er, actually, I love the way the opening and credits sequence of "Blade Runner" plays out. From Leon blowing away the first 'runner to finding Deckard on the future-street to the skycar traffic... The whole movie feels analog/1940s noir/just a couple years down the road and that's an awesome thing.

For pure bouncy fun, I liked the opening of Tomb Raider (and nothing else, except the shower scene).

For actual "Action", how can you do better than "Raiders of the Lost Ark"?

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Another vote for "Raiders" here. The other Indiana Jones flicks you can keep but Raiders is a classic.

James

Storage is cool
The opening to "Raiders" is pretty good, it certainly sets the scene for the rest of the movie. I've always loved "Blade Runner," particularly the Director's Cut. That and "The Abyss" are about the only Director's Cuts I've liked better than the original - usually they become ego vehicles for the director, but with those two I really think something substantial was added to each of the movies.

The opening scenes to "The Replacement Killers" and "Blade" are fairly similar in structure and pace, but the former has much better cinematography.

The opener to "Die Hard With A Vengeance" is pretty good, because it's unexpected.

All the Bond films have an opening scene before the titles, but none really stand out for me.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
It astonishes me that otherwise apparently intelligent and civilised people watch craplike this.

Raiders was fun. If you call that an "action" movie, that is. Seems to me that it had a plot and some semblance of charecterisation, which I should have thought would disqualify it. But what would I know? I'm an ape. I can't even spell.

Mercutio

I had forgotten about Blade's opening. That WAS pretty intense. I've not seen "The Replacement Killers". Maybe I'll go rent it.

Anyone remember the opening to "Heat"?

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
The best opening scenes for me are:

The first battle between Romans and barbarians in Gladiator!
The computerized-camera-turning explosion in Swordfish!

These scenes were both awesome...

James

Storage is cool
I'm one of the very few that hasn't seen Saving Private Ryan. :)

Prof, wasn't the Swordfish scene further into the movie than the beginning?

Merc, The Replacement Killers is well worth a rental, particularly for the way it is shot and because it has Chow Yun Fat in it. (And Mira Sorvino...) The Heat opening is good, but it pales in comparison to the street warfare scene after the bank robbery. I don't think I've ever seen so much ordinance expended in a non-war movie.

The Blues Brothers isn't an action flick, but it does deserve a mention for its opening scene.

Tony, with the greatest respect, some people might feel the same way about your choices of music, recreational sports, reading matter, etc. The difference is they don't drop into your threads and disparage your tastes in recreational activities.

Mercutio

Hadn't realized that Replacement Killers was a John Woo film. It plays like just about everything he does. It's well-choreographed and well-photographed but it seemed utterly dispassionate through the whole movie.

Mostly, I was just bored.

The opening is alright. Blade does the shootout in a dance club thing better, even if the camerawork in Replacement Killers *IS* better.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
If you liked Replacement Killers James, then check out "The Killer", also with Chow.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
James said:
I'm one of the very few that hasn't seen Saving Private Ryan. :)

Prof, wasn't the Swordfish scene further into the movie than the beginning?

Definitely watch it.

They show the explosion at the start, then continue the film from before it all happened, to show it again when it "catches up".

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
i was going to mention private ryan but the oping scene is actually the old man in the cemetary....

private ryan ranks as my #1 in best second scene in a movie :wink:

natural born killers is bloody good yes.

my nominations:

- reservoir dogs (if that qualifies as an action movie)
- the world is not enough
- face/off (shame the movie sucked)

Mercutio

IIRC, the opening scene in Reservoir Dogs is the gang having a discussion about tipping waitresses.

Of course, it's been ages since I've seen that. I might be wrong. Anyway, Pulp Fiction is something I don't think Tarrentino will ever accomplish again. Really, what has the man done in the last six years?