Best movie you've seen

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
It's set concurrently to Daredevil season 2. The Sekovia Accords and events in Civil War haven't happened yet. Most of the MCU stuff is explicitly taking place around the time of its release but this is placed in time just after when Claire Temple witnessed the Hand attack her hospital.

The stylistic 70s is actually believable to me. Downtown Gary and chunks of Chicago's south side have that vibe as well.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Anybody see the The Accountant? I have an invitation to see it on Sunday, but the reviews are not the greatest. At least it is an R rated film.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
How's Doctor Strange? The local newspaper review gave it 4/5 stars. Said plot was meh, but the effects were great.

Mercutio

Doctor Strange:

If you got the sense from the trailers that there would be amazing 3D... I wasn't sold. I saw it in IMAX 3D and while the visuals were as stunning and frankly trippy as they needed to be, this had the potential to be the closest thing to a theme park motion ride of any movie since Tron: Legacy and it really didn't deliver. I'll see it again on a cheap screen and offer a better report of this.

I don't think this was a top-tier Marvel movie. It's a mythology-building one. It's not crammed full of puzzle pieces to the point of being overstuffed, but the pacing is a bit off between acts, with a very long second act and a relatively short third. Still, this movie had the job of introducing magic to the MCU and boy does it. There's a certain amount of navel-gazing involved in this, though Doctor Strange, learned scientist, is definitely the right character to do it, rather than Thor, whose Magic can be taken at face value.

Cumberbatch pulls off the humbled, partially-reformed egotist perfectly and the transitive property of distinctive baritone certainly applies in full force. In fact, I can't really speak poorly of any part of the casting. I had hoped for more of Hannibal Lecter from Mads Mikkelson, but like Christopher Eccleston in Thor 2, he's a lesser sort of villain. Benedict Wong is somewhat unexpected the comic relief, though I thought this movie had fewer big comedy beats than most other Marvel films.

Doctor Strange in Marvel comics has an odd pedigree, a fixture who could never quite carry a long-running series. He was created primarily by Steve Ditko (a real life escape artist who drew some inspiration from Houdini and therefore probably a guy who knew something about meditation and self-control) and was essentially the comic-book channel into which 60s psychedelia flowed. His early comics are full of bizarre colors, Escher-esque geometries and low-grade surrealism. This is all put forth in the movie version of the character. Like Ant-Man, Doctor Strange could never be a starting point for entry in to the Marvel Universe, but you can fully accept that he's a part of it. The trailers put this on full display as reality bends around the characters, but the visualization is amazing regardless.

I think this movie tried to be a little more cerebral in a way that was failed a bit by some small bit of writing or editing. I had a great time watching and I was definitely entertained, but big questions were discussed in the context of the plot and in places the cool visuals seemed put in place to avoid carrying those conversations forward. I know Civil War was an extremely long movie, but this movie really could've done with some extra time, especially to develop the antagonists.

There are two stingers on this movie. As usual, you have the animated credits to see the first but sit through the whole credits to see both.

I may have more thoughts, if only on the matter of 3D.

Mercutio

I rate it five out of seven. It's an enjoyable movie but it's flawed. I think there's some pothead philosophy going on and it bugged me.

Mercutio

I think Doctor Strange is an edge case where 3D is really cool and does add something to the experience, even if it's not the vertigo-inducing trip it might've been.

Am I alone in thinking that 3D glasses kind of wash out color? The 2D screening seemed more colorful.

LunarMist

I think Doctor Strange is an edge case where 3D is really cool and does add something to the experience, even if it's not the vertigo-inducing trip it might've been.

Am I alone in thinking that 3D glasses kind of wash out color? The 2D screening seemed more colorful.

How could you see it in both 2D and 3D? Do you bring your own glasses?

Stereodude

Not really a
I think that's true depending on the 3D glasses technology used. The image will also definitely dimmer which impacts the perceived saturation of the colors.

LunarMist

Arrival has a good rating on the Tomatomometer. Is anyone seeing it this weekend?

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Did go to see Dr. Strange with the kid. Eclectic mix of the modern and the esoteric. Somehow, it seemed like Deja Vu to me. Maybe I saw it previously in an alternate universe.

LunarMist

The older I get the more many movies seem the same. Lovies are product and the formulae for commercial success are pretty much the same.

LunarMist

Do we really need another King King movie? :(
I'd like just one year of no remakes, sequels, prequels, spinoffs, etc.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Do we really need another King King movie? :(
I'd like just one year of no remakes, sequels, prequels, spinoffs, etc.

Avoid Hollywood productions then...

Hollywood is only making remakes, sequels, prequels, spinoffs, etc, as they're low risk, high profit ventures. It appears the investors are very risk adverse, demanding a return on all monies spent.

LunarMist

Yet they still make crap. I suppose the 18-49 YO and Chinese just watch anything familiar.
Maybe France?

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
And Logan. Not in the same league as Land of Mine, but by far the best (or second best if you count Deadpool) X-Men movie. A whole lot more depth than any of the previous X-Men movies.

LunarMist

What is the feeling on the Wonderful Woman movie? I hope Merc is watching it somewhere.

Stereodude

Not really a
I finally watched Rogue One tonight for the first time. I watched the 3D Blu-ray. I didn't really know what to expect going into it. I enjoyed it. It was more original / less derivative than The Force Awakens. I was expecting more survivors though.

My viewing tonight was spurred on by having a conversation with a coworker about all the science holes in Star Wars. He papered over them and said there must have been smart scientists who took care of the different holes I pointed out in The Force Awakens. I told him that I hoped they were smarter than the ones who built exposed exhaust shafts without any sort of grill in the death star just big enough to get a missile down. He told me to write down my comment on a note and to pull it out when I watched Rogue One.

Lena

What is this storage?
Mine would have to be "Roman Holiday". I enjoyed that movie so much! It was different than what i usually like. I am still not sure if it makes it to the best but most def to the most impacting.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Mine would have to be "Roman Holiday". I enjoyed that movie so much! It was different than what i usually like. I am still not sure if it makes it to the best but most def to the most impacting.

What do you usually like?

Handruin

Administrator
I recently watch The Big Sick and it gets my vote for favorite movie of 2017. Given it's based on a true story and the great mix of emotional content and well-timed comedy makes it a rollercoaster journey.

MickL

What is this storage?
I watched Secret window with Johnny Depp, who is my favorite actor. I think all movies he plays become memorable. The film itself is a well scripted thriller (based on Stephen King’s book). It’s a story of a writer who is trying to work on his novel in some remote house, where some very strange things are taking place. It catches your attention from the first minutes. Really love the story! I read that Depp even wanted to film it at his own villa in France https://tranio.com/france/adt/1635106/ which is for sale now, but finally they chose North America. Do recommend to those who like quality movies with unsual ending.

LunarMist

So you're an actual ghostwriter? It often seems as if you are not really there.

Not at all. I authored numerous documents in the 90s, but fewer in recent years. The name and approval must accompany each document. In the old days wet signatures were used, whereas now almost all internal approvals are by e-signatures.