Best movie you've seen

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
I've played DC universe online by Sony. It is a limited game, but free and better than COH/COV

Handruin

Administrator
I've played DC universe online by Sony. It is a limited game, but free and better than COH/COV

You shut your whore mouth when your betters are talking.

qlRu3.gif

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
While telling someone in his thirties or less to shut his whore mouth can be viewed as humourous, saying it to someone in his fifties might not be received as well. Please be careful who you target with those expressions.

ddrueding

Fixture
Coug, a minor re-word works as well:

While telling someone to shut his whore mouth can be viewed as humourous to someone in his thirties or less, someone in his fifties might not receive it as well.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
He said it to me too and I'm obviously of that age group. I assume it is a line from a movie or something. Anyway I view the statement as conceding defeat.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
He said it to me too and I'm obviously of that age group.
I know and I wasn't sure if you'd be pissed or not. I don't know where's the reference from. I obviously don't have the same taste as Merc for movies so it's very probable I haven't seen the movie or TV show where that's coming from.

SSDdrueding : If I ever go to California, you'll be my official translater.

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
I do not feel the need to defend my honor for you folks are doing just fine.

The statement was not intended as a jab towards Merc. It was just a statement of fact in relation to the anti-DC statements given. I felt that the opposing viewpoint needed to be expressed. Plus it is true I've played both COH/COV and DC Universe Online and I preferred DC Universe. Merc is entitled to his opinion.

While I'm not a comic-book fan, it seems to me that DC comics has been around long enough and sold enough that it should deserve some recognition for that fact. Denigrating all of DC transfers that derision by association to all those that are fans of Superman and his Cohorts.

Still in a Bah-Humbug mood though.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Whatever. Great trailer Merc.

D.C.? Seems like they have different target audiences. I grew out of Superman stuff, and DC, at about 2 years old. D.C. is so low down that they don't have a rating.
Safe stuff for young children, and at the old prices, young kids could afford them.

Marvel, on the other hand, was one of the great reading tools of all time, to teach kids vocabulary, etc. Clearly had an older target audience.

They have two different markets, and, they both thrived.
One can say that baby diapers are deserving of respect since they have the same merits you mention about D>C.

Problem is these days comic books are 3-4 dollars each, a long cry from when you could find
3 soda bottles, trade them in for 15 cents, buy a comic for 12 cents, and have 3 cents left over.

That said, The Hobbit?

It's funny but I must have read the other books 100-1000 times, Return of the King in particular. The Hobbit was ok, but for me, just not up to the trilogy.

Still, the trailer is well done, and it looks like they did a decent job on it, from the short bits.

LunarMist

All those brands are the same to me. Even as a child I had little interest in the action or superhero comic books. I was an early reader and real books were more meaningful. The animated cartoons were terribly boring as well. Superman especially made no sense. I had to watch some of the old TV show with George Reeves in reruns and it was a torture. :spl:

Mercutio

Comics are just like any other form of literature. They can be juvenile but they can also be a wonderful vessel for adult storytelling. It's not all super heroes and funny animals and even in those genres there is material of real literary work; Alan Moore's Swamp Thing (yes, really) or Brian M. Bendis's Alias, or Art Spiegelman's Maus or Grant Morrison's We3 certainly qualify.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Got the battlestar bluray series today, got it from Amazon.co.uk and saved almost $50 from US prices plus it comes region free.

The alien anthology collection was the same way as well.

No idea why it is cheaper to buy from over there than just walking across the street here.

Mercutio

The BSG Blurays were HEAVILY discounted for the holidays. so were the extended editions of Lord of the Rings. I paid $250 for BSG when it came out but I saw the whole set for $60 this year.

I don't really mind. I'm glad someone made so much good entertainment affordable.

Mercutio

Also they're yanking the Harry Potter discs after the new year so they can make a new extended set for next Xmas. If you were planning to buy them, better do it soon.

The theatrical editions seem fine to me but at least the Netflix version are really barren of special features. They don't have commentary tracks or anything.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
The theatrical editions seem fine to me but at least the Netflix version are really barren of special features. They don't have commentary tracks or anything.

There are a lot of disks like that from netflix, usually the media is marked for rental. Another thing that sort of bothers me about netflix.

Mercutio

Another thing that sort of bothers me about netflix.

That's not Netflix's fault. That's the movie studios being moronic and it's really a very recent development.

These days I'm using my subscription to get Blu-Ray versions of stuff I already have on DVD. I'm probably not a big enough fan of "Ran" that I'd buy it again, but it's nice that my rip is 1080p instead of 480p now.

The way I look at it, I get around 40 discs a month for ~$60, or approximately what I'd pay to buy two Blu Ray titles at retail prices. To me that's an incredible bargain.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
20 in the set I got including razor which the set calls season 4 disk 1. My price was referring to the bluray version, not the DVD.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Honestly, if you aren't at least watching the Pixar Studios movies, you're really missing out on some special films. Except the Cars movies. Those blow goats.

Having sat through all the Disney/Pixar movies, they are certainly enjoyable for adults as well. I didn't mind Cars too much (my son loves both movies), but it's certainly not up with the others.

The recent Disney one that struck me was the "Tinkerbell" series of movies, despite being straight to DVD/BR release they are really good, and recommend if you have daughters/neices in the 4-8 age bracket and they are into fairies, then this series is one to watch. (There are quite a few trailers for the movies on YouTube all in HD format).

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I liked the starship troopers book far more than the movie, they had some really interesting laws about citizenship too.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I liked the starship troopers book far more than the movie, they had some really interesting laws about citizenship too.
That was the one thing that I really liked about the book, that Heinlein made you think about the value of society and the current freedoms that all enjoy, that maybe those freedoms should be earned individually rather than given. IMHO the book is more a political commentary on western society, than about SF or the combat expressed in the book.

What was interesting that in the book, they talked about the breakdown of American culture in the late 20th century, which seems to have mirrored the actual current events, despite being written in the 1950s.

LunarMist

20 in the set I got including razor which the set calls season 4 disk 1. My price was referring to the bluray version, not the DVD.

Well I'm not sure about the exact number, but it was a bunch of Blue Rays. :-D

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
That was the one thing that I really liked about the book, that Heinlein made you think about the value of society and the current freedoms that all enjoy, that maybe those freedoms should be earned individually rather than given. IMHO the book is more a political commentary on western society, than about SF or the combat expressed in the book.

What was interesting that in the book, they talked about the breakdown of American culture in the late 20th century, which seems to have mirrored the actual current events, despite being written in the 1950s.

Exactly, it was pretty thought provoking and entirely relevant. The combat stuff etc in starship troopers wasn't a letdown either.

Mercutio

About 880gb ripped!

My set of BSG, including all the extras, webisodes and a pirated set of Caprica in HD since no one seems interested in releasing a proper set on Bluray, clocks in at a svelte 330GB.

I also have a copy of the season 4 soundtrack signed by the composer and a print of the "Last Supper" image with seven cast member signatures on it.

I don't consider myself an over the top die-hard fan of the show; I met an individual (whose gender I could not fully ascertain) at last year's Chicago Comic Convention, who told me that s/he had made the trip from Antwerp to the con in Chicago to get Patrick Stewart and William Shatner's autographs at an event other than a Star Trek con. S/he thought that an international flight and hotel stay plus what she estimated would be six hours waiting in line for $175/autograph was a far more reasonable proposition compared to the vastly higher price per signature and longer wait time s/he would have experienced the following week at the world's largest Star Trek-only convention.

I'm not sure why I'm bringing this up, except to point out that fan is derived from fanatic and someone who thinks we might be nuts for devoting hundreds of gigabytes of disk space to a TV show (or paying $40 to get a signature and handshake from someone who might not ever have another significant acting job in his life) can at least recognize that in the grand scheme of things, we aren't that far along in the fandom scale.

Also: Meeting and having a conversation with Edward James Olmos was as personally significant for me as meeting Neil Armstrong.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life

Heinlein? I'm fairly certain that the Romans were practitioners of citizenship being earned just a tad before Robert H. :)

Mercutio

I read Starship Troopers as a sort of logical outgrowth of objectivist philosophy. Perhaps not wanking on the same scale as Ayn Rand, but it's as much a soapbox as it is pulp-ish science fiction.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I enjoyed Starship Troopers, just a bit.

Just got done watching Wall-e, and it really was nothing like what I expected.
The heroine was a complete surprise.

I couldn't help but think when Wall-e rebooted it sounded much to much like a MSFT
sound;-)

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I enjoyed Starship Troopers, just a bit.

Just got done watching Wall-e, and it really was nothing like what I expected.
The heroine was a complete surprise.

I couldn't help but think when Wall-e rebooted it sounded much to much like a MSFT
sound;-)

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Heinlein? I'm fairly certain that the Romans were practitioners of citizenship being earned just a tad before Robert H. :)

Certainly wasn't insisting he was the originator of the concept, but at least in the book he gives good reasons why it should be case and the consequencies of alternate systems, rather than simply stating it as a fact in 1 or 2 lines.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Certainly wasn't insisting he was the originator of the concept, but at least in the book he gives good reasons why it should be case and the consequencies of alternate systems, rather than simply stating it as a fact in 1 or 2 lines.

I wasn't suggesting you were, hence the smiley. Nuance is hard to convey in text.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Bunraku was a comic based movie I just watched. Kind of fun fantasy action-thriller.

I enjoyed it, and I didn't even know the characters.