Best, most efficent DVD ripper software, and reader?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Hi
I'm wondering what are the best, and most efficent DVD ripping software?
What's the most efficent player?

Currently using DVD Shrink, and Media Player Classic. Any suggestions?

Processor usage is a bit high...

s

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
In my experience, DVD ripping speeds are usually limited by the drive's firmware, moreso than any technique a software decrypter uses. My fastest "ripping" drive is a 3-year-old LiteOn, that actually rips at around ~12X. Newer drives seem to hit a wall at 2 or 4x, which has just GOT to be an artificial limitation.

I use PowerDVD for almost everything video, because it has fast forward and rewind features that other media players lack.

.Nut

Learning Storage Performance

THIS is the most efficient DVD ripper around. Makes Jack The Ripper look like a mere pup.

alera_1780_8318.gif

http://www.buyaleratec.com/dvshredpar24.html

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
:lol:
ROFL!
Funny, I never realized the 'beer' industry had such vital secrets it has to protect...

s

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
OK:
Using the Sony, I've made backups of our most frequently used DVD's, in the hopes that we won't scratch, or destroy, my legally licensed originals.
Problem is, some of them won't finish playing, perhaps due to compression?

Even though I'm using CD-R's, which is what I thought the original format was for DVD's, the toshiba SD-3109 seems very intolerant of my copies, skipping and generally being fussy.

Any ideas why, and a solution?

My goal is to copy my originals once, put them in a binder, and save the originals, as unplayed. The reason for this is I wonder if the DVD's eventually wear out, due to heat, etc. in playing.

s

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
The copies usually play about 95% in the Sony DVD recorder.
I've also used a cleaner on all concerned.

s

Mercutio

You backed up DVDs to CD-R?

I'm going to pretend that you meant DVD-R and continue from there with this advice:

DVD players don't all play all DVD media equally. My oldest (Sony) jukebox won't play discs recorded on (Sony's) DVD+R format at all, for example.

Furthermore there are substantial differences in media quality, just as there are with blank CDs. We all know to avoid the ones we can see through, right?

I'll bet if you went out and bought a sampling of different DVD media, you'd find something your player likes better. I'm partial to Verbatim DVD+Rs for my personal piracy needs.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
TDK, Dynex?
Yes, I backed up to DVD's. Brain dead, and filling fish tanks at the same time...
s

Grim

What is this storage?
Mercutio said:
You backed up DVDs to CD-R?

I'm going to pretend that you meant DVD-R and continue from there with this advice:

I know a few people who back up DVDs to CD-Rs. I'd like to be able to pretend they meant DVD-Rs as well. What I do instead is pretend that I don't know anything about Windows PCs; this usually works ok for these items, and covers a few others as well. However, I tend to not have the same success you apparently had.

(There are generally three tricks they perform: image splitting, exceedingly lossy compression, and "I never said they produced usable backups.")

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Hi
I'm backing up and hoping to get them to work in an old player.
I thought DVD+R wouldn't work in the older players?

S

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Unfortunately there is no guarantee that your set top player will read anything you burn unless it's one of those new ones that says it will read DVDr's. What I would do is get some different kinds of media and experiment. I can't remember where but there are some places that will sell a combination pack of the popular brands that they sell.

You probably want to stop by here too:
http://www.cdrlabs.com/

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Merc - how's the picture quality of PowerDVD vs. WinDVD these days? I thought back in the day (hmm...1999 perhaps) I tried demos of both but liked the picture quality of WinDVD a little better, despite the lack of features of PowerDVD. This was back when the Matrox G400 was new.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
There is no difference anymore. I use Power DVD because it is more feature rich. Plus, WinDVD was crashing my machine for some unknown reason.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I've got the nuetered version that came with the DVD player.
Is it worth upgrading?

s

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Only if you want access to the other additional sound formats, i.e DTS, etc. If you are just using a set of computer speakers I wouldn't bother.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I've got the nuetered version that came with the DVD player.
Is it worth upgrading?

s

Mercutio

I think it's worthwhile. But I like all the extra sound formats and things like its support for picture stretching.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Sound support is the thing I was looking at. It appears the lite version includes picture stretching...

CLEV or Clep, or something like that.