Best Hard drive testing program?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Hi

I'm wondering what you use for testing hard drives?

Thanks

GS

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Always the manufacturer diagnostic. They are always downloadable from their support web pages.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I am using that program. I did NOT think it was the program used by HGST to test their drives. Am i wrong?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
WTF to do:

OK:
It looks like ServerTech Solutions Inc. specializes in fraud in advertizing, and shipping drives without the warranty that they should have, and, old, OEM drives. Problem is, the reason I bought the WD RE4 2 TB, and HGST 4 TB is they are supposed to be the best drives on the market for SATA.

So, do I test the drives, keep them, and live with the fact they have little, or no warranty? I really can't afford the current retail prices for these drives, near 500 each from newegg.

I suspect ServerTech Solutions will go under far before they have to honor any warranty claims. It looks like they setup, bought a bunch of OEM drives, are dumping them at very attractive price points, and will be out of business before the 3 year warranty
on the HGST expires. There is not much explanation otherwise for shipping drives made in 2010 and 2012. Keep in mind the plan is to copy stuff to the drives, remove them, and keep them as backups, used relatively few times, in REnclosures.

I suspect their '3 year warranty' is their business plan end date.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Did you register the hard drive serial numbers with the manufacturer? That should give you all the information about your drives.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Do the drives work or not? If not then return them and file a claim with the CC.
If they work, then I'd not worry about it and just use them. Next time buy from a legitimate supplier.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I'm with Lunar too.

Warranties are not an assurance of quality, they are just an insurance policy to get your money back if something fails. If there is nothing wrong when tested, then they are likely to stay good so just put them to use.

Since you like a warranty, just remember to buy from a good reliable dealer, next time. Not worth the trouble trying to force one from a flaky outfit after the fact. Approach this purchase as a lesson needed to be learned

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I did my research, with some help here, and these are some of the most reliable drives available. I'm unable to register either drive, through WD.

They were older drives, but unused.

To be honest, the prices are the maximum I would pay for a drive. I'm not paying retail for a WD RE4. I paid 110 shipped, from ServerTech for 2TB. Newegg lists that drive at 199.00 for a retail drive.

Guess I'm going with Lunar and DD on this one. Both drives are much less likely to fail then the drives I have with the original data, that are all out of warranty.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
the reason I bought the WD RE4 2 TB, and HGST 4 TB is they are supposed to be the best drives on the market for SATA
I think that you're chasing paper dreams here. Spinning disk market is commoditized. All drives are garbagy.

LunarMist

I think that you're chasing paper dreams here. Spinning disk market is commoditized. All drives are garbagy.

The 10K and 15K SAS drives are a bit better, but not very economical for consumer use.

LunarMist

How long will a SSD keep data once power is removed?

I recall some having a spec of at least five years. I have USB drives older than that, but they used much larger flash memory cells in those days.

LunarMist

What would it take to refresh the cells at say year 3?

I don't think there is any such command. You'd have to copy it somewhere and back with verification.
What do you do with hard drives in storage?