Best anti-virus.

G

georgecarrter

Hi!
Nowadays I use Kaspersky anti-virus. But due to this anti virus my computer become slow. I am very confuse between AVG and Norton Anti-virus. I want some advice which anti-virus is best for my computer and which one does not reduce speed of computer. If anyone has information please share here.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Kaspersky does very well at detecting new virus-like threats. It's a good choice for someone who is paranoid about viruses.

Generally I recommend NOD32 for those willing to pay money for something.

Among the free products, I generally prefer Avast to Avira. They both have their drawbacks, but Avira's pop-ups drive me nuts, while Avast's modules for scanning P2P traffic and IMs make it a solid choice for home users.

I also appreciate Portable ClamWin, since I more-or-less refuse to install Antivirus software on my own Windows computers.

I'm looking at an all-in-one free package called Forticlient at the moment, which is made to interoperate with various hardware and software from a company called Fortinet. I haven't formed any opinions yet, but a free corporate-type security suite might be very useful.

If you have Windows 7, Microsoft's free Security Essentials is supposedly very good. That might just be marketing. I haven't attempted to evaluate it.

I uninstall Norton and McAfee consumer security products on sight, regardless of how much time is left on the subscription. That shit is as bad as having malware in the first place. Computer Associates and Trend Micro are also serious candidates for removal.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I switched from AVG to Avast at home. Avast seems to be a bit leaner but you have to turn off the stupid sounds or get a rude awakening randomly. It has caught everything so far.

I have used corporate level Norton products at work forever and they don't interfere but do slow things down IMO. I do agree that consumer level norton products are basically malware, horror show if you want to uninstall or basically do anything with them, even has a separate removal tool so that should say something.

I see MSE recommended a lot over on the H forums, I am trying it in a couple VM's but they are well protected anyway and don't get exposed to much so I cant say either.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
If you have Windows 7, Microsoft's free Security Essentials is supposedly very good. That might just be marketing. I haven't attempted to evaluate it.
I've installed it on my new Win7 Pro x64 laptop, and seems to work well. I haven't noticed any performance drop, with it running in the background.

Also note, that MSE uses the same engine and definition files as MS Forefront Security (the corporate offering), it just has a different front end. We've used Forefront at work for the last few months, and seems to work well.

Otherwise I tend to recommend AVG, Avast or Avira depending on the individuals taste.

PS. I did have someone say the new Norton AV (not the full integrated security suite, just the pure anti-virus product) is a complete turn around from their previous offerings in a very positive manner. :dunno:

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Antivirus XP. ;) I'm not sure if it runs on 7 though.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Anyone else play with Vipre. I really like the distribution/installation controls. Otherwise I'm running MSE.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Comment on MSE, if you have a "computer challenged" person this might be the right package. Seems super easy to use with big shiny buttons and clear messages on what you need to do for updates etc. My updates fail regularly, just hit it again and it usually goes through. Annoying, maybe MS hasn't devoted the proper bandwidth for it yet.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Funny_Pictures_7022.jpg