Bathroom TV

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I'm thinking about getting one of those cheap 10" portable TVs and the RF-Link to beam the signal into the bathroom. Does anyone have experience or advice on a video system in the toilet?

LunarMist

No, I want to view the cable TV. A laptop would be too expensive and too complicated to connect.

ddrueding

Fixture
I've been thinking of an iPad for that purpose, but holding out in hopes that a larger Android 3.0 device will be available soon.

LunarMist

I don't need no stinkin' androids in the john with me. :eekers:

There are serveral cheapie ~10" units that might work. They would not require a VESA mount, just a small shelf.

ddrueding

Fixture
Lunar, I think the geek solution is to hook your cable to an HD Homerun and then stream it via the network to any device you have. Using a dedicated wireless transmitter to a dedicated display device seems...inelegant.

LunarMist

I don't want to get my computers involved with video. Anyway, I don't have any wireless networks at this point.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Get the cable co to do another drop to your dunny? I'm assuming this is for basic analog channels?

If you are spending extended periods in there, a porta-potty in the living room can be more comfortable (tho can be disturbing for visitors).

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Me: ipad for my bathroom and iphone for others.

For TV what about one of those mobile units like they sell for the back of car seats?

Stereodude

Not really a
Do all you really spend that much time sitting on the throne that you need something else to do in the bathroom like a laptop, TV, or iPad? I'm not sitting there long enough to read, surf, or otherwise get any other activity done. :scratch:

Handruin

Administrator
Do all you really spend that much time sitting on the throne that you need something else to do in the bathroom like a laptop, TV, or iPad? I'm not sitting there long enough to read, surf, or otherwise get any other activity done. :scratch:

Nope, I read a classic magazine or maybe use my iPhone for a short amount of time.

LunarMist

Get the cable co to do another drop to your dunny? I'm assuming this is for basic analog channels?

I'm not willing to get into any complicated wiring or have ugly cables in a bathroom and there are no longer analog channels here.

It is a long story but one of my old TVs went cattywampus recently. I finally broke down and bought a new LCD TV (gasp) and rotated them around. Now the configuration of the closest cable setup is whacky as you would guess. However, the composite video and audio outputs from the DVR are free so I was planning to use them for the wireless. It should be possible to watch anything that is on cable (HD or not) or a DVD, etc. Basically I don't want to miss an important plot element when in the toilet for a while.

If you are spending extended periods in there, a porta-potty in the living room can be more comfortable (tho can be disturbing for visitors).

I'm not that far gone yet! :puke-r:

LunarMist

Is 5.8MHz really that much better than 2.4GHz for the transmission?

ddrueding

Fixture
5.8MHz would be terrible for transmission. 5.8GHz is better technically, but it really matters what other devices you already have and what frequencies they are using.

LunarMist

OK, you know I meant 5.8GHz. ;) According to the advertizing hype, 2.4GHz is full of interfering coms compared to 5.8. Yet my telephones use 6.0 GHz to avoid the supposed crowding with 5.8GHz devices. :erm:

LunarMist

Wait until you are well into middle age. Everything takes longer. :(

LunarMist

Oh my, the range is up to 300 feet. :eek3: Does that mean that 5 people could be tapping in?

LunarMist

No. I don't have any. :( Cinemax is as racy as it gets here. :cyclopsani:

Sol

Storage is cool
My general solution to avoid missing plot elements is to pause...
But I guess if you really had to watch something live you could consider some sort of powerline video transmission (I assume you don't plan to run the TV off batteries). I would imagine that would be more reliable than wireless. (But I have a pretty good imagination, so YMMV)

LunarMist

Whatever you get make sure its rated explosion proof!

Why? The products run on low voltage DC and the adapters are reasonably sealed. I don't think there are any moving parts or open switching contacts.

LunarMist

My general solution to avoid missing plot elements is to pause...
But I guess if you really had to watch something live you could consider some sort of powerline video transmission (I assume you don't plan to run the TV off batteries). I would imagine that would be more reliable than wireless. (But I have a pretty good imagination, so YMMV)

Everything will be connected to a 120VAC GFI box.

LunarMist

I have the product now. The transmitter and receiver are fairly basic, with only a power switch and 4-channel selector. The directional mini dish antenna is nice. It works well at the closer distances, but picks up noise and zappies through more than one wall. The audio level is quite low for some reason. I regret not ordering the TV at the same time. It is transmitting to a 20' TV temporarily on the bathtub. I won't keep it there - probably a safety hazard. :)

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Why? The products run on low voltage DC and the adapters are reasonably sealed. I don't think there are any moving parts or open switching contacts.

I wasn't being serious. Just making something along the lines of a "fart joke".

LunarMist

The TV and receiver are set up semi-permanently in the bathroom and working well. :thumbright: I had to unplug the telephone and clock for the time being, leaving the emergency light. From observation I think the cheap LCD TVs are basically a laptop panel in a box. The vertical viewing angle is limited. :( The image looks OK on the level, but washed out from a higher angle, i.e., standing. ;)

LunarMist

I have no money for nor interest in fancy toilets. TV is obviously unusual, but I see them advertized for kitchen and bath. You don't have a clock in each each bathroom? This bathroom has no window so the cheapie emergency light doubles as nightlight and flashlight. Unfortunately we have some lengthy power failures occasionally if storms knock down trees and power lines in the area. The cordless phone is there for the caller ID and screening the voicemails. I don't answer it in there. ;)

Now I need a remote control from the bathroom to control the power to the transmitter so that it is not broadcsating all the time. I'll see what X10 stuff is around.

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
So what if you want a tricked out bathroom. To each his own! You certainly don't have to rationalize your purchases to me.

For me, I have a hand towel, a wash cloth, a bar of soap and some toilet paper. In my main bath room, I go extravagant for I have two bath towels, two had towels, two wash rags, shampoo, two bars of soap, a tooth brush, ...

LunarMist

This is not the master bathroom either but it is more conveniently located. I would not put all that electronics in a bathroom with the humidity generated from a shower. :eek3:

LunarMist

Why exactly do the digital TVs take so long to turn on? :rant:
We all know that an LCD panel only takes a couple of seconds at most to illuminate. This TV turns off after some minutes with no signal, and those ~8 seconds until power on are annoying. My 1972 Trinitron was faster.

ddrueding

Fixture
Why exactly do the digital TVs take so long to turn on? :rant:
We all know that an LCD panel only takes a couple of seconds at most to illuminate. This TV turns off after some minutes with no signal, and those ~8 seconds until power on are annoying. My 1972 Trinitron was faster.

I suspect it is buffering and decoding the signal. Perhaps there is an RTOS that needs to boot up?

LunarMist

Thanks. It is not worth trying to build a delay timer into the startup since it is not straightforward to open the devices I don't want to lose the warranties just yet. I need to start another thread about more TVs. :)

LunarMist

I set up a couple of external computer speakers on the tank. The sound is much better, but the stereo separation is not so good.:b-day:

LunarMist

One remote was destroyed. Maybe I can use mirrors or something.