baked Apple of a different kind.

Stereodude

Not really a
Mercutio said:
Actually, I'm incredibly impressed. The damn thing still works!
I'd guess it's a publicity stunt.

I work in the LCD industry and there's about 0 chance the screen would look so good after being in the oven for 20 minutes. The polarizer on the display should have a pile of bubbling and other things wrong with it.

Automotive grade LCDs have a critical failure above 100C. Laptop TFT LCDs aren't nearly as robust.

Stereodude

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
No mention of the oven temperature. Somehow I doubt it was on anything much higher than about 250°F by the looks of it.

I thought this thread was about NYC last summer until I looked at it. We had what seemed like an endless string of days in the 90s and 100s. :( We're finally having a real winter for the first time in years(snow, arctic temperatures), and I'm loving every minute of it. It's supposed to go down to 9°F this coming Wednesday. :D

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
You would be surprised how quickly the body acclimates itself. When fall starts, even 50°F feels chilly. By the time winter's over, 35°F actually feels warm. Winter is good in that you can always put more clothes on if it gets colder. Summer sucks. Once you're down to shorts and a T-short there's not much more you can do(at least without getting arrested for indecent exposure) short of going into an air-conditioned room.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
jtr1962 said:
You would be surprised how quickly the body acclimates itself. When fall starts, even 50°F feels chilly. By the time winter's over, 35°F actually feels warm. Winter is good in that you can always put more clothes on if it gets colder. Summer sucks. Once you're down to shorts and a T-short there's not much more you can do(at least without getting arrested for indecent exposure) short of going into an air-conditioned room.

Agreed. Summer sucks unless you're on vacation in Hawaii and a climate controled room is always near by. :D

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I'd have to agree that 20 minutes @ 400F seems impossible for a machine to boot...

water boils at ~212F ... 60% tin / 40% lead solder melts in the upper 300's...

personally, if she pre-heated, I think she'd have a pile of goop.

SteveC

Storage is cool
jtr1962 said:
You would be surprised how quickly the body acclimates itself. When fall starts, even 50°F feels chilly. By the time winter's over, 35°F actually feels warm.
That's true. I had a t-shirt and a light jacket on today, and I was sweating. Of course, I was shoveling the snow at the time, but it wasn't a whole lot of work. I can stand from about 0-110F without any problems, but I actually do prefer the heat to the cold. The only time the heat really bothered me was when I was in Mexico, and it was about 110F with 80% humidity.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Mercutio said:
Bikinis, shorts and tank tops. How can you not like summer?

95°F, 100% humidity, all sorts of flying insects, and the smell of air pollution(which always smells worse in summer) are a couple of good reasons. As of late I've grown to hate summer with a passion. There just aren't any redeeming features in my book. The types of females I prefer don't look right in bikinis or tank tops, so even that's not a plus for me.

A/C really doesn't solve the problem much since we have yet to make one that throttles down it's cooling power once the room reaches a comfortable temperature. Instead, you alternate between sweating while the compressor is off to freezing after a while while the compressor's on. It's not that difficult to cut the rotation speed of the compressor electronically using triacs just enough to maintain the room at whatever the thermostat is set for(I prefer ~70 when I'm sleeping and 55 to 60 when I'm awake). Sadly, it isn't done, and I would be willing to pay $100 more for an A/C that did this.

I just glanced at my indoor/outdoor thermometer: 19°F outside, 47°F in this room. Winter is great. :mrgrn:

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Cliptin said:
This page on the site claims 20 minutes at 400.

I've had some devices look worse than that after 10 minutes at 212°F. The plastic would be melted a lot more badly than that if it were really 20 minutes at 400°, and there is no way it would work. That would be plenty of time for the heat to work it's way into the internal parts. Heat would definitely destroy the hard drive. Look what happens when you heat a magnet. As I said earlier, something like 250°F is more believeable for that type of damage. Even a Mil-spec product isn't designed to take 400°F. Mil spec is for the -55°C to 125°C range. 125°C=257°F

BTW, if the internal parts were heavily insulated(i.e. like a fire-proof safe), then I would believe it could work even after an hour at 1000°F, but this is hardly the case here.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
blakerwry said:
They do mass produce 3 stage (off, low, high) A/C's ... or you could buy 2 small A/C's that would give you the same effect.

The low-medium-high is just the blower speed. The compressor is still either on or off. I have yet to see one that does what I would want(continuously variable compressor speed). There are some commercial units that do this, but I don't need 100,000 BTU. ;) On second thought, a room at 0° in the middle of the summer might not be a bad idea.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
jtr1962 said:
The types of females I prefer don't look right in bikinis or tank tops, so even that's not a plus for me.
:eek:

Instead, you alternate between sweating while the compressor is off to freezing after a while while the compressor's on.
That just means your AC is oversized for your application ...

It's not that simple to just cut motor speed - it's a pump. For example, there may be a 10ft difference in the height of the evaporator and condensor. A compressor running at reduced power may not be able to push the refrigerant that high.

Having said that, I think state-of-the-art refrigerators are starting to use variable speed DC motors (the whole process being dubbed "inverter" technology). But this is only speculation on my part - I haven't researched it.

Stereodude

Not really a
blakerwry said:
I'd have to agree that 20 minutes @ 400F seems impossible for a machine to boot...

water boils at ~212F ... 60% tin / 40% lead solder melts in the upper 300's...

personally, if she pre-heated, I think she'd have a pile of goop.
Not to mention what the polarizers on the LCD would look like.

I should take an automotive grade display home from work and put it in an oven at 400F for 20minutes and show you what it looks like.

Stereodude

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
Having said that, I think state-of-the-art refrigerators are starting to use variable speed DC motors (the whole process being dubbed "inverter" technology). But this is only speculation on my part - I haven't researched it.

All half decent A/C units these days use "inverter" technology. I know the cheap one we had fitted in around 97 or 98 runs constantly and adapts its power accordingly.