Atlas 10K II just died?

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
This is my wifes PC, so it's not a fun time at home right now. :cry:

The drive spins up, goes ka-thunk 5 times, each ka-thuink taking about a second, then spins back down. :hurl: I moved it to my PC to see if it could be a power issue but the same sound effects were heard.

Any thoughts before it gets tossed?

Also, her PC has an nForce2 mobo (Shuttle AN35N Ultra); does the onboard IDE support large (>137GB) HDs? The manual doesn't say it overtly but does hint that it might by saying it supports ATA133. She doesn't need a ton of space, but it will impact my purchase decision for a replacement drive, assuming the 10K II can't be resurrected.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
So this isn't my year for SCSI drives. My 18GB 15K Seagate (original X-15) boot drive is now failing. Failed, really, and the only thing I want to do is retrieve my data off of it. It comes up intermittently but so far hasn't stayed up long enough for a backup. Most boot attempts it shows up fine in the SCSI card BIOS but the PC fails to be able to even use it as a boot device.

I hate to do it but I think this means the end of SCSI in my home machines. More than likely I'll order a 250GB Samsung to replace it tomorrow.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Picked up a Hitachi 7K250 for $115 - $45 in rebates = $70 from Fry's on the way home from work. Considering the Samsung was going to run about $104, the Hitachi is a pretty decent deal.

The Seagate actually booted so I'm Ghosting to the new drive as I type this.

Yeah, I've not taken the SATA plunge. No need to just yet.

Handruin

Administrator
I just bought two of the T7K250's (SATA) a few weeks back and they perform great so far. Very quiet and cool. No complaints just yet. $70 is a good deal for a drive that size. Does it come with the 3-year warranty?

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Handruin said:
Does it come with the 3-year warranty?
Yes, thankfully.

Unfortuantely, my attempts to copy the old partition to the new have failed, so I'm reinstalling Windows 2000. I've got backups of my data to restore from and will use that to supplement re-installing the apps.

A definite pain in the butt, but it's been years since this box had a clean install.

Handruin

Administrator
Clean installs are nice sometimes. Makes the system feel perky.

I noticed that my new machine didn't format my C:\ with the full 250GB even though I swear windows reported it. Any free tools you might know of for extending the boot drive from 128GB? I can see the remaining space, but I don't want a second partition. I tried the ultimate resuce CD because it had an open source repartitioner...but it wouldn't boot on this system.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Mine was being stubborn even at 128GB. Didn't matter if I was installing XP w/SP2 or 2000 SP3. The basic format & install would be fine but when it came time to reboot it'd fail with no messages - just a continual reboot cycle. Didn't matter if I used the mobo IDE or a Promise card I had laying around. Same symptoms.

Just to get it going I dropped to a 16GB NTFS boot partition on the Promise. I'm assuming that later on I can expand it with Partition Magic if Windows' disk manager is too lame to hadle the duties itself.

The clean install will overall be a Good Thing. My old install was getting a tad flaky and some things, like the network connections while booting, weren't working right. I just didn't want to devote the time it'll take to get things back where I want them.

I'm sticking with Windows 2000 for the moment; I don't have a legal license for XP for the box and I try to keep my machines as legit as I can reasonably do.

As of this morning I had 2000 up to SP4 with almost all updates, mobo drivers (original CD; not the latest), AVG, Folding @ Home, FireFox 1.5RC1, and the latest drivers for my AIW installed. Tonight I'll shoot for Office & a few other apps I use regularly. Then I'll make a backup & probably try to expand the partition to full size.