Apple support rant

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Sweet jebus. Just got off the phone with "AppleCare". It is now clear to me why Apple is certainly not a contender in the enterprise space.

Problem: Have an Xserve RAID box with one controller with red light. Powered on for the first time yesterday. Manual implies that this is a failure, and the controller is a nice slide out user replaceable device.

Troubleshooting done: power down box, reseat controller. Still red light. Cannot do more because a vendor will be configuring this system to support their application.

Call Apple. Give them my details. Request that a replacement part be shipped to me to install. The guy wants a credit card for cross-shipment. That's not going to happen. So I ask him to send out a technician to replace the part. What troubleshooting have I performed? None, because the system hasn't been configured yet. I just need the bloody part replaced. No go. I ask for a ticket number. I'm asked to open a new ticket once I have the "RAID Admin" diagnostics to provide to them, so they can fill in their little troubleshooting section of their ticketing app. This is with the "Premium Care" package, it's as good as Apple gets.

If I make a similar call to IBM, I can get that part within 4 hours, either with or without a technician to assist. No troubleshooting required. No credit card number to provide. I talk to professionals that know what they are doing, or I have the option to create my own trouble tickets online. I have 30 days to ship the return broken part, if the tech doesn't take it with him.

Anyone else have such joyous experiences with "A"? I think the biggest issue is that everyone there in support seems to deal with everything. With IBM, the first thing you are asked for is the machine type number, which then routes to people with experience with that particular type of hardware. With Apple, your actual product problem is the last thing they ask. Frankly I would expect Xserve RAID to get a higher level of support than a bloody ipod. The RDF is strong.