Apple smacks Adobe

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Apple's gotten stupid on this no Flash thing.

According to some iPhone developers, the rules changes that they recently enacted also ban some third-party tools used in applications which they've already approved. If they don't want Flash, just disallow stuff made with Flash. How hard is that?

Apple is becoming what they wished to destroy.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Apple can take a flying **** at this point. It is extremely annoying.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Can't find it now but some blog somewhere posted apples adobe statement and replaced all "flash" with "apple" and "flash" with "closed" which resulted in a pretty entertaining read where much rang true.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
It's not about agreement at this point. We all know Flash is a pile of suck. Anyone who doesn't make a living kneeling in front of Adobe's collective zipper knows this.

However, in this case, Apple devices are losing out on a lot of functionality they really should support, and that's a disservice to its customers. Granted that functionality leads to crashes and malware, but a computing device should belong to the person who paid for it, not the company that put its name on the label. It should be the user's right to install Flash if they want it.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Granted that functionality leads to crashes and malware, but a computing device should belong to the person who paid for it, not the company that put its name on the label. It should be the user's right to install Flash if they want it.

Which is fine if you don't really have to support the product post sale. Customers have expectations partially excited by vendors and it is up to a vendor to do what they need to do to meet those expectations. Additional variables in the equation increase the chance that there will be unsatisfactory instability. Rewriting the firmware in your car should also void the warranty.

All of these sentiments fall under the topic of brand management. Apple wants to be known as the company of bulletproof usability not user twiddly fiddling. If you want a toy to play with get something else.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
That's a pretty poor analogy. A more accurate one would be the car manufacturer dictating what sort of person can drive your car, or even ride in it.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
That's a pretty poor analogy. A more accurate one would be the car manufacturer dictating what sort of person can drive your car, or even ride in it.

Apples and Oranges analogy that is not only ridiculous, but absurd....try reading the one in the other thread...Apple discussion forums obviously have (some) more rational minds than here :D

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!

So basically Silverlight was just some bridging tech they came up with whilst waiting for HTML5? Another MS tech not long for this world.

Phone 7 is basically a gigantic Silverlight application, no wonder it needs to run on a 1GHz Snapdragon, all this lard sucks up cpu cycles like crazy. Whilst desktop machines are indeed now getting to the point wheewhere the latest relase of Windows doesn't need a CPU upgrade, for a mobile device I think it's clear a lightweight OS like Android does better over a wider variety of hardware. LOL I can't believe I wrote that. Normally it's MS that has the device/backwards compatibility advantage. How things change.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
It's not about agreement at this point. We all know Flash is a pile of suck. Anyone who doesn't make a living kneeling in front of Adobe's collective zipper knows this.

However, in this case, Apple devices are losing out on a lot of functionality they really should support, and that's a disservice to its customers. Granted that functionality leads to crashes and malware, but a computing device should belong to the person who paid for it, not the company that put its name on the label. It should be the user's right to install Flash if they want it.

This is not the first time Steve has made idiotic decisions. Like going Motorola etc.

We'll see what happens when Android, Palm et al get Flash, and the iphone is the "odd man out".

I think what Steve really fears is that Flash, being the greedy POS software it is, will show up at least the earlier versions of their phones as something other than the gloroius technological marvels that they were presented as.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
So basically Silverlight was just some bridging tech they came up with whilst waiting for HTML5? Another MS tech not long for this world.

Phone 7 is basically a gigantic Silverlight application, no wonder it needs to run on a 1GHz Snapdragon, all this lard sucks up cpu cycles like crazy.

Umm, basically no and no...talk to Balmer.

a mobile device I think it's clear a lightweight OS like Android does better over a wider variety of hardware. LOL I can't believe I wrote that. Normally it's MS that has the device/backwards compatibility advantage. How things change.

LOL, I can't believe the staggeringly high-level of (intentional) ignorance...check comments on just about any forum from actual users of Android...1Ghz Snapdragon (btw, the 4G iPhone should have a 1Ghz inside, just not SD...as it is that wasn't available when the iPhone debuted ...not that this will stop the legions of M$ apologists fanboyz here from the *usual* gangbang whinning on Apple...so typical).... is just barely enough...Falsh *is* a CPU hog, and there IS no current non-beta version of it on any phone that runs well...that is wut Steve said, though none of you can comprehend that (intentionally).

Again, go read the comments on the other thread from *rational* peeps on Apple discussion forums...all U M$ are used to the mediocrity and 'suffering' of that platform and expect and want *all* the craptastic options Stockholm Syndrome :)...yet U'd fry Apple if they did offer those things/choices U claim U want< no win in that case...Apple clearly does *not* have you as their main target market< otherwise they would have gone the way of Commodore, Compact, long list of dead PC companies, long ago LOL.

M$ today, Exxon tomorrow :D

I gotta 2001 dumbphone, it runs spectacularly with a <10kHz CPU, LOL no Falsh, no html, no video, no texting (well I got it turned off, don't want to pay for that garbage)...no camera, no video streaming, no HD nothing...it works great!

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Uda: You realise all version of Windows Mobile run on top of some flavour of Windows CE? Some stuff you need a stylus, other times not. A thousand typing monkeys got the whole shebang working to some extent.

There won't be any Flash support for Windows Mobile 7, due to MS not allowing native code. Flash is a horrible performer, it can hardly well work sitting on top of .Net.