AOL Uses How Much Memory?

SteveC

Storage is cool
I get a call from someone saying they can't get online, so I go check it out. Of course they're using AOL, and when I try to start it up, Windows gives a rather strange error message: "Your computer cannot display this feature due to low memory, please close one or more applications or free 2065Mb of disc space." There was plenty of disk space and memory, and a simple uninstall, and reinstall fixed it, but it's still rather odd.

Then I checked Windows Update, and as I suspected no security updates had been applied. I also checked their anti-virus software, and it said: "Using virus definitions dated 7/29/98." After that, came Adaware, and of course, it had just about every type. Yep, this is the typical user I deal with. :(

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I know, after helping out a neighbor, that AOL v8 won't work properly without more than 64MB.

My help consisted of setting up his PC for a real ISP.

Mercutio

Naw. Worst is when someone introduces his fleet of Compaq Presarios, each with AOL for internet service, a virus scanner that was old when Windows 95 came out (It came with my Windows 3.1 install disks!), an Access 2-based line-of-business app, expensive hardware that only works with real-mode DOS drivers and a business requirement to "make as few changes as possible."

This has happened to me.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Mercutio said:
Naw. Worst is when someone introduces his fleet of Compaq Presarios, each with AOL for internet service, a virus scanner that was old when Windows 95 came out (It came with my Windows 3.1 install disks!), an Access 2-based line-of-business app, expensive hardware that only works with real-mode DOS drivers and a business requirement to "make as few changes as possible."

This has happened to me.

That sort of fell into my definition of "messed up." -- Buck's 1st Collegiate Dictionary

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
heh, I remember AOL 4 on my 486 66sx... talk about slow... even with the huge 16MB of RAM I could start AOL, go downstairs and make a sandwich.. eat it.. and by the time I was done AOL would be ready to dailup.

That's if it didn't crash the computer... using smartdrive made the operation complete in about half the time... but made the computer twice as likely to crash...

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
In those early days of the Internet, I preferred using an ISP called Netcom. Internet access was quick and easy on my 14.4 modem.

Mercutio

Part of Earthlink now IIRC.

Netcom was a clueful, large ISP that was very progessive for its time.

If you REALLY want Internet old-timer cred, you need an account on WELL (now owned by salon.com).

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Buck said:
In those early days of the Internet, I preferred using an ISP called Netcom. Internet access was quick and easy on my 14.4 modem.

I remember Netcom as pretty big before Earthlink bought them out.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
unfortunately the only ISP available around us at the time was AOL.

When we upgraded I also forced a move to a real ISP.. I believe we used platetKC or KCnet at the time.. later, I simply used the free dialup through my employer.

SteveC

Storage is cool
SteveC said:
Yep, this is the typical user I deal with. :(

I had another one yesterday. This time, I got a call saying that nothing displays on the monitor when it's plugged into the computer, but it shows the no signal display when it's not plugged in. I go check it out, and after trying a PCI video card, and reseating everything, nothing would show on the monitor. On a whim, I checked the controls on the monitor. It turns out the contrast was turned all the way down! And it had been like that for three months.

Mercutio

The students in my troubleshooting class learn that one about two seconds after "Check all the plugs".

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
i was working on a machine today at work.. the keyboard stopped responding(no text input, num lock stuck on).. mouse worked fine...

keyboard was plugged in, but was using some type of adapter cable (old keybaord plugged into a ps/2 port) so I pushed it in all the way, but the keyboard refused to work

i finished my work using the on-screen keyboard and cold booted.. upon bootup I got no video screen (blank screen, monitor in power saving mode) and the HDD LED was not flashing..

I powered the machine off and rebooted.. same thing... what would you do?

I asked someone else if this machine had any weird bootup issues.. they said no and came over...

I told them the HDD LED was not falshing on boot and I was getting no video... well, I felt the computer case when it booted up and I could feel the HDD seeking (although no LED activity and could not hear it).. this lead me to believe the computer was booting.

He pushed the power on the monitor to turn it off and he turned it back on and it came right up to the login prompt. I felt stupid for not trying it.. least i didn't spend more than a minute or so troubleshooting the thing.