AOL and ICS

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
Hi,

I have a client who is trying to get his AOL connection to work with 2 machines which are hooked up using two NICs and crossover. Some people report it can be done, others that it cannot - ICS cannot be enabled as the AOL software dials up.

Meanwhile he has a 12 month contract with AOL boradband so changing is not an option, and he has called AOL himself who say it can be done but offer no advice or support on the issue - I have my doubts as to whether this can be done but since AOL told him it can be done he's expecting me to do something about it.

Any ideas?

(apart from the fact that AOL is rubbish, we all know that) :cry:

Thanks.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
Yes a little OT I think ;)

Just some way to enable ICS on the connection would be great...

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
If the PC with the AOL connection is running W9x, it cannot be done. I tried and gave up in August last year after reading an MS KB article on why (limitations in # of adapters supported, etc.). You'll need an NT class OS to begin with. On top of that, AOL is really, really funky in how it handles connections. If at all you can get it to work, you'll need to have oodles of patience and perseverance. Good luck.

Jan Kivar

Learning Storage Performance
I did make such a connection to a friend of mine once with an older version of Siemens WebWasher. It's an ad-blocking software with a proxy server. I don't know how well it worked, but surfing and ICQ worked over it.

So, get a proxy program to the "server" machine.

Cheers,

Jan

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Jan Kivar said:
I did make such a connection to a friend of mine once with an older version of Siemens WebWasher. It's an ad-blocking software with a proxy server. I don't know how well it worked, but surfing and ICQ worked over it.

So, get a proxy program to the "server" machine.

Cheers,

Jan

you could try analog X's proxy http://www.analogx.com/welcome.htm worked well for me when I had to revert to dialup and only ahd 1 modem in the house.