Anyone hear about this?...

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
Yes, I have seen several conceptual drawings of this and similar ocean going beasts. The illustrations with a full airport on the top deck are my favorite. I'm guessing that a ship that size would spend its life dodging bad weather. A ship of that magnitude would not be immune to the beatings of a good typhoon. As a matter of fact, I would question its ability to flex with the tumultuous sea. It is true that they'll build it "rigid", but with such unimaginable weight, and the strength of water, it will need to give. Here is an idea, how about researching better ways to harness natural and non-pollutiong resources, and also implementing them? There's a good way to spend billions of dollars.

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
i've been following it for quite a while, atleast 2 years i think. progress is slow but it appears they are still very much commited to making this a reality. one aspect that interests me is how thay are going to deal with unique legal issues that maratime law doesn't cover.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Where can I get a bigger picture of what this is supposed to look like? Seems interesting, but will it ever actually happen?

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
the site used to have many images of an artists vision of what is was all going to look like but for some reason they've taken them down. a quick searcj on the net found nothing, but maybe a better search will. it's huge!

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I found some pictures on various websites, but they were all small and you couldn't real see any detail at all.

I think they should call it the security ship.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Even before September 2001 I referred to it (as I'm sure many others did) as, "the world's biggest terrorist target."

My thoughts sure haven't changed any.

Dozer

Learning Storage Performance
Website
planetdozer.dyndns.org
Bartender said:
A ship of that magnitude would not be immune to the beatings of a good typhoon.

A point well-taken. In a thread on another forum, it was discussed that a ship (if you can even call it that--more like a movable island) of that size would have difficulty maneuvering out of the path of incoming storms.

"the world's biggest terrorist target."

Indeed, a terrorist's wet dream.

And they said the Titanic was unsinkable, what about this behemoth?

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Bartender said:
Yes, I have seen several conceptual drawings of this and similar ocean going beasts. The illustrations with a full airport on the top deck are my favorite. I'm guessing that a ship that size would spend its life dodging bad weather. A ship of that magnitude would not be immune to the beatings of a good typhoon. As a matter of fact, I would question its ability to flex with the tumultuous sea. It is true that they'll build it "rigid", but with such unimaginable weight, and the strength of water, it will need to give. Here is an idea, how about researching better ways to harness natural and non-pollutiong resources, and also implementing them? There's a good way to spend billions of dollars.

There was a bit on TV about it a while back, Amazing Machines or some such. I think the "Freedom ship will sit out from port, given the massive draft, and shuttle boats will take people ashore. Since typhoons only get really bad closer to the coast it could be OK.

OK forget what I said, I was thinking tsunamis and shallow water. Need more Sapphire....