Android phones: Tips, tricks?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Most of the changes are pretty subtle, and if you're a Samsung user, Samsung likes to do as little as possible to expose users to Google stuff. There are some little things that you'll notice in Settings, like the battery use indicator is different. Samsung's philosophy is that users should be much more excited about changes to their launcher and UI bullshit.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Hasn't Apple had that for years or is it different? I see all the older folks "drop shipping" files to others nearby, whether phone, tablet, or laptop. Maybe I'm mistaken.
I would never send anything to the Google unless it were business related.

Mercutio

I would never send anything to the Google unless it were business related.

As the superuser for a whole bunch of Google Workspaces, that may or may not be the appropriate answer.

But Nearby Share can be a fantastic for copying over a 300MB PDF or to to share a bunch of photos without needing to know someone's contact details. I've discovered that many, many, MANY people don't know how to interact with pictures on a phone except to share them to an SMS (risking the photo quality if there's an Android-iOS transfer involved) or Email (young people have a more favorable opinion of HPV that they do email).

Handruin

Administrator
It'll be nice to have for a nearby share option but it's rarely ever been a feature I've needed over the years. I usually just share from within Google photos to preserve quality when it comes to media type sharing.

LunarMist

I'm sure the Google doesn't do anything without a reason and to be profitable.
I just naturally distrust the smartphones. I have to assume that the Google is spying on me, like Amazon and everyone that has a connected device. My personal compters have no A/V for that reason.

Handruin

Administrator
Google is 100% for-profit so that's a safe assumption. They aim to monetize all things. They also occasional try new projects even if the direct result isn't specifically for profit but if it helps enable other areas they will also support working on it.

LunarMist

How do you know they are not selling info to the people trying to get at you?

Handruin

Administrator
Can you give me a specific example, I don't know what you mean by the people trying to get at me.

Mercutio

I need to get into that kind of hobby.

It is definitely the pastime of the bachelor. Also, step one is almost certainly "Make friends and keep up with people who were and still are working at a strip club over a thirty year period and somehow don't do anything creepy to anyone in all that time."

Handruin

Administrator
Pushing around my silly battery powered mower is the extent of it all which is probably your point. :)