An Hilarious Waste Of Money

Onomatopoeic

Learning Storage Performance
I saw something last night that made we wonder... W H Y ???

What I saw was an idiot driving an automobile that had dual exhaust, but not just any dual exhaust, as this one had a lighting system up deep inside each muffler.

Each muffler had a short tailpipe coming out, but definitely up inside the mufflers themselves somewhere (I could clearly see the interior of the tailpipe and baffling inside the mufflers) was some sort of high-heat resistant lighting system that emitted bright blue light.

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
that my friends is called 'rice'. the term rice is meant to describe the use of glitzy, bright and most definitely useless paraphernalia and modifications that (mostly) young guys adorn their late model and often japanese vehicles with. most of you that live in large suburban US and Australian cities would have seen the rice trend. things like large stickers, posted along the side of a car, huge spoilers with absolutely no functional value, massive chrome wheels and dropped suspension, which in effect has reduced the safe and 'safe at speed' handling capabilities. other common rice items are include large diameter exhaust outlets, body kits of anna nicole smith proportions and bright coloured florescent tubing underneath their cars. the trend started within the asian communities, hence the term rice.

here is a prime example of rice at it's worse:

40943017lTpEeq_ph.jpg

.Nut

Well, what I'm waiting for is the body piercing / tattooing trend to meet the "frivolous automotive lighting trend."

This would be where you observe someone in some crowded disco -- talking, and as he talks, blue light is emanating from his mouth via lighting devices that are implanted in his esophagus. And/or, maybe he could even have some implanted bright lights illuminating the vascular system in his face or light emanating from the nostrils and/or ear canals. Who knows, there's probably some idiot out there already doing some of these things.

Handruin

Administrator
Don't make me break out another picture of the green pimpin' geo tracker. :mrgrn:

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
lol. i reckon you're not far of the truth there.

tattooing would have to be one of the oldest trends to survive today. so would body piercing although that has gone though a renaissance of sorts.

Corvair

slo crostic said:
Here's where you too can get one of these ridiculous accessories :lol:

Unbelieveable but true! This is a brand new product line to arrive in Australia. Be the first to have a GLOWING exhaust extension on the back of your hot import!

This exhaust extension has six bright Indigo Blue LED's that dramatically light up an internal ring within the exhaust tip extension itself! It's simply *too* cool!

Imagine stomping past someone only to flick a switch to engage this virtual afterburner! It's gotta be a big head turner. Be the first to get this extension on your vehicle and inject some wow-factor in your local scene.

Suits Pipe Size From 35mm to 60mm
Quality Stainless Steel
Product is brand new in original packaging
This auction is for one exhaust tip in glowing Indigo Blue!

Get you bid in now and secure your place. Don't miss getting this EXCLUSIVE item !

Picture067a.jpg

This unit is similar to what I saw, except I did not see any *direct* light source beaming outside -- such as what's shown on the end on the above tailpipe. Now, it could very well have been this unit above, but the person could have modified it to be mounted backwards so that it would shine *into* the muffler -- which was about 1/3 of a meter up the exhaust system from the tailpipe outlet.

Yes, the more I think about it, the more I suspect what I just described above (the modified setup) was actually what I saw, because the tailpipe diameter was damned large -- large enough to see well up the tailpipe extension to notice the friggin' baffling of the muffler.

Corvair

Jake the Dog said:
that my friends is called 'rice'. the term rice is meant to describe the use of glitzy, bright and most definitely useless paraphernalia and modifications that (mostly) young guys adorn their late model and often japanese vehicles... here is a prime example of rice at it's worse:

40943017lTpEeq_ph.jpg

JakeTh'Dog: I've been seeing these sort of ricecakes for many many years around here in the fourth largest city in the USA. They're so common, I might just see half a dozen such vehicles at once or maybe a different one every 30 seconds just driving along in regular daytime traffic. In all probability, the numbers will go up a bit for nighttime driving. Just for the record: I drive a Mitsubishi Diamante.

Corvair

Jake the Dog said:
yeah that's a classic one groltz!
here some of the worst offenders i've seen pics of:...

Very very typical stuff for around these parts Jake (not mentioning the lowrider contingent). Now if some of these had Chinese or Japanese writing somewhere along the sides or backside, or a "rising sun" in the rear window, then it would be what I see a lot of.

There is also a large and serious "art car" presence here -- essentially, the motorcar meets Salvador Dali. I see some of these vehicles from time to time on the city streets. Many of these are simply unbelievable creations.

http://www.artcarmuseum.com/

http://www.artcars.com/WACD/WACD2000.html

http://houstonartcarklub.com/

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
.Nut said:
Well, what I'm waiting for is the body piercing / tattooing trend to meet the "frivolous automotive lighting trend."

This would be where you observe someone in some crowded disco -- talking, and as he talks, blue light is emanating from his mouth via lighting devices that are implanted in his esophagus.

One is left to assume that this is as opposed to the more traditional trick of having the sunlight shining out of a rather less lofty orifice?

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
thanks for the good links corvair. i've been watching the artcar phenomonem steadly grow from over here and it's getting close to taking off in a big way here soon imho. i'm not sure if i like it but i can appreciate the artistic effort that went into making them.

what i can't appreciate is this: http://www.beaterz.com/one_liners/0201/020130_f16_celica.htm

oh btw, congrats on reaching 1000 posts Tannin :)

Stereodude

Not really a
IMPORT SCENE
"It's all about the attitude"
That's the best line from the E-bay ad. What a bunch of maroons. There's something about having a car that looks nice with a good deal of power on tap. There's not much appealing to a car that looks rediculous and still has the 95hp stock engine.

Stereodude

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
exactly! i can appreciate a fast and safe car for what it is. to me it doesn't matter if it's a 4,6 or 8 cylinder, rotary or turbo or not but all these bespoilered cars that lack any real performance modifications are just plain fake. i wonder if the people that build these types of cars are aware that they and/or their cars are plainly wannabes...

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
In a world where the extra power is useless - because you are stuck in city traffic - and indeed anti-social - for it contributes to resource depletetion and exhaust emissions and benefits no-one - "rice" could be considered an almost rational adaptation to the conflicting drives of thumping teenage testosterone on the one hand and grim urban reality on the other.

Or at least that could be true if it didn't look so bloody try-hard stupid.

-----------------------------

PS: thanks, Jake. Unfortunately, that orange tart Tea beat me to it by one post. I don't think I'm speaking to her. :(

slo crostic

Onomatopoeic

Back in the mid-1970s, I used to occasionally see a Triumph 650 twin-based chopper (er... a custom motorcycle) driving around that had tailpipes very similar to those above. And, incredibly, this motorcycle's tailpipes were about the same height!

One thing that the owner of that automobile above has probably not considered is that someone could sue him for personal injury (parents of a child, etc) if they were to brush up against those hot pipes. The car could just be sitting on a parking lot somewhere and someone might just accidentally leave half the skin off their forearm on those pipes.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
skoda1.jpg

skoda2.jpg

Most people start out with an OK Japanese car - I mean, at least they're reliable and economical cars to start with, but this guy is beyond belief! Actually I reckon it looks like the Gemballa Avalanche pictured below :mrgrn:

r02.jpg

He modified a Skoda Target! 53hp rear engined evil car, my father bought one about 15 years ago as a second car for my mother to use (hint: they're divorced now), no aspect of it was ever considered good, it used to break down every time the weather was cloudy, couldn't go up a steep hill and the brakes were so bad we almost crashed on several occasions - then we got rid of it.

Heres some more, from another avid fan: http://come.to/yellow.devil :eek: