64 GB USB Thumb Drive (For The Filthy Rich)

Dïscfärm

Learning Storage Performance

Kanguru 64GB Flash Max Drive
...The Kanguru Flash Max is a high strength, high capacity USB 2.0 flash drive that stores up to 64GB!...

A steal at US$2799.99 <cough>

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2074958&Sku=I46-2060

I46-2056.jpg

Handruin

Administrator
Interesting tid-bit:

Q: What's the largest amount of flash that I can use for ReadyBoost?
A: You can use up to 4GB of flash for ReadyBoost (which turns out to be 8GB of cache w/ the compression)

Q: Why can't I use more than 4GB of flash?
A: The FAT32 filesystem limits our ReadyBoost.sfcache file to 4GB

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Has anyone seen actual real-world data yet on how much ReadyBoost increases performance?

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I have a 1GB USB device installed on Vista.
Performance increase??? Not that I can tell. I think it's 'wishful thinking' or 'MS Spin'. :rotfl:

Bozo :joker:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I suppose it makes a difference if you have one of those bargain-basement Dells with 128MB RAM. Vista basically creates and uses the thumb drive for swap space.

GIANT

Bozo said:
I have a 1GB USB device installed on Vista. Performance increase??? Not that I can tell. I think it's 'wishful thinking' or 'MS Spin'.

You probably have to configure ReadyBoost before it can be used as such (i.e. -- a Control Panel applet for memory management, etc). ReadyBoost probably has the ability to locate flash memory plugged into a USB, ATA, or FireWire port

ddrueding said:
It's not fast enough to be usefull for memory, is it?

Indeed, flash memory is vastly slower than the dynamic RAM commonly used for system memory. Such memory cannot be integrated into a typical computer's system memory (so-called primary memory). It could, however, be managed by Vista software memory management as so-called virtual memory -- which has to exist by definition on secondary storage such as disc or flash. Other uses for this flash memory might be temp file storage or disc cache.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I set Vista up to use the USB device for Ready Boost.

Still haven't seen any performance gains.

Maybe in a laptop? My Vista install is on a Raptor with 1.5GB of RAM

Bozo :joker:

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Indeed, flash memory is vastly slower than the dynamic RAM commonly used for system memory.
Indeed, it's slower than a hard disk drive, particularly as swap space. Not sure what its value as a disk cache would be ...

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
It's a trade-off. Flash drives have zero seek time. As long as the chunk of data you want is smaller that the maximum DTR of the flash module - something that's highly likely - the flash drive wins.

adriel

You should see the 32 GB SSD review on Tom's Hardware. It has read times that are flat across the entire capacity. Not only that, but reduced power consumption, weight, and more importantly, no audible noise.

The problem with that unit is the performance is capped at an ATA66 interface.

I've waited 6 years... give it another six years and the landscape might be different.