3DMark03 Released

SteveC

Storage is cool
For those of you that want to benchmark your video card, the new 3DMark03 from Futuremark (formerly MadOnion) has been released today. It's available for download here and comes in at a whopping 171MBs. It also needs to have DirectX 9 installed to run.

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
SteveC said:
For those of you that want to benchmark your video card, the new 3DMark03 from Futuremark (formerly MadOnion) has been released today. It's available for download here and comes in at a whopping 171MBs. It also needs to have DirectX 9 installed to run.

Short and to the point:

It sucks.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I'd like to know who the hordes of people are who want this application, 'cause I'm pretty sure I didn't pay $400 to run a benchmark better.

I can just see a bunch of bored gamers sitting around screens full of demo-scene junk going: "My computer can totally kick your's ass. Jo0 5ux0rs!:

Or are there just that many amateur hardware review sites out there?

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Mercutio said:
I'd like to know who the hordes of people are who want this application, 'cause I'm pretty sure I didn't pay $400 to run a benchmark better.

I can just see a bunch of bored gamers sitting around screens full of demo-scene junk going: "My computer can totally kick your's ass. Jo0 5ux0rs!:

Or are there just that many amateur hardware review sites out there?

First and foremost, the highly coveted version is free.
Yes, lots of younger enthusiasts do just that: "My computer can totally kick your's ass. Jo0 5ux0rs!: --which at best is annoying.

This new benchmark features some very nice looking eye candy. Just to see graphics rendering at this level on one's monitor is interesting regardless of the score you receive.

The reason I don't like it is because since I don't have a full DX9 video card I can only run part of the benchmark. Additionally, in most of those sections my frame rates slow down to single-digits. Disappointing for someone who was hoping to be impressed by the graphics displayed by this wonderful creation. From what I've read, the only folks that are running it with any fluidity are those with Radeon 9500P/9700's. Just have to wait, I guess.

Also there is this: 3DMark2003 is Here! But...

...While it might just be all so much bellyaching on Nvidia's part, the final point is that you aren't going to much enjoy 3DMark2003 without a high-end Radeon. I already uninstalled the "5ux0r" :tdown:

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
SteveC said:
It's available for download here and comes in at a whopping 171MBs.

:eek: I guess I won't be getting that on 56K!

This is a perfect illustration of how bad software bloat has gotten. Why on earth should a benchmark program require as much space as an OS like Win98? It seems every new generation of faster CPUs is eventually slowed down to the level of their predecessors by inefficiently coded software. Ditto for faster video cards. I can only speak for myself but I definitely don't see the need for 164 spinning widgets in a word processing program or web browser.

SteveC

Storage is cool
jtr1962 said:
This is a perfect illustration of how bad software bloat has gotten. Why on earth should a benchmark program require as much space as an OS like Win98? It seems every new generation of faster CPUs is eventually slowed down to the level of their predecessors by inefficiently coded software. Ditto for faster video cards. I can only speak for myself but I definitely don't see the need for 164 spinning widgets in a word processing program or web browser.
I haven't tried it yet, but I imagine that most of the size comes from the textures for the game samples.