1k yr lifespan DVD's/optical discs?

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Springville company introduces new DVD to protect data 1,000+ yrs

http://heraldextra.com/news/local/article_b25c9a30-7242-11de-9feb-001cc4c03286.html

well they say the limiting factor is the current use of plastic for manufacture of these disc's. Don't think I'd want a 'glass' solution, lexan or something is less fragile, probably durable enough for centuries if it could be used for these discs, and I know damned well plastic becomes brittle in far less than 100yrs. Hell, some of my DVD's are already cracked around the spindle hole, after less than a few dozen plays.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Dammit, uda posted a headline and I had to read it.

Also,

tl;dr version: Go learn English someplace else

Longer version:
Apostrophe S ('s) is a contraction for [it] is, or an indicator of singular possession.

Most nouns in English can be made plural by adding an "s" to the end. When indicating plurality it is always incorrect to include an apostrophe.

As far as rules go, that one's (see? That one is, a correct use of the apostrophe) not THAT hard to remember.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Who would have equipment to play it on in 1000 years, or care? Maybe some aliens visiting a post-apocalyptic world could decipher the disks. On the other hand, maybe they would use them for hygienic purposes.