Missing Members

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
In the old days we had a polynomial equation with a few variables to make estimations.
Of course now everything is personalized with tons of data and AI in the cloudy systems.

ddrueding

Fixture
Still alive and kicking. My professional career is approaching a possible fork in the road. Busting ass at the moment removes risk and uncertainty before having to commit to anything, so I've been busting ass since August. Probably another month of brutality, followed by a year or so of difficulty. If I choose the risky path, it would be another several years of challenge, but could be worth it. Hopefully I'll know more in a couple months. Until then, hope ya'll are well.

Reactions: fb

LunarMist

Yay, the Duderding is still alive. :)
I hope it works out for you, but I busted my ass for years and was eventually laid about a year before the company closed. :confused:

Newtun

Storage is nice, especially if it doesn't rotate
. . .I busted my ass for years and was eventually laid about a year before the company closed. :confused:
So you got lucky ;)

Or maybe that was part of a severance package you got, that others who hung on until the company closed did not get.

LunarMist

There was nothing good about it at all. :( I was notified by phone and received no severance.
I ultimately changed to a somewhat different career.

Newtun

Storage is nice, especially if it doesn't rotate
Then that was terrible, Lunar. Almost a decade ago, when I was laid off, I at least got a decent severance package to "tide me over". A few years later, my wife took the "offer she couldn't refuse", to retire early from her job, and got a minimal, better-than-nothing severance package. The people in her department that didn't take/get the offer were "hung out to dry" when the department was abruptly shut down.

LunarMist

It was not as bad as the first time. About 15 minutes before leaving on Friday afternoon we were called into a conference room and given the announcement that the facility was being closed immediately. Simultaneously a locksmith was changing all the locks. :(
There were no cell phones or internet back then, so some staff were trying to enter on Monday and unaware of the events.
Nobody got anything, at least not at my level.

Stereodude

Not really a
Still alive and kicking. My professional career is approaching a possible fork in the road. Busting ass at the moment removes risk and uncertainty before having to commit to anything, so I've been busting ass since August. Probably another month of brutality, followed by a year or so of difficulty. If I choose the risky path, it would be another several years of challenge, but could be worth it. Hopefully I'll know more in a couple months. Until then, hope ya'll are well.
My personal opinion is that your health, well-being, and all the time away from your family aren't work an extra bit of money. I'd surmise very few people near the end of their lives find themselves pontificating about how they wish they had more money and less time, but instead that they'd trade their money for more time.

Glad to see you're still with us and none of Lunar's morbid scenarios were true. :eek:

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
My personal opinion is that your health, well-being, and all the time away from your family aren't worth an extra bit of money. I'd surmise very few people near the end of their lives find themselves pontificating about how they wish they had more money and less time, but instead that they'd trade their money for more time.

Glad to see you're still with us and none of Lunar's morbid scenarios were true. :eek:

This. When you are young, time is treated like toilet paper. When you are old, time is more precious than gold.

Sounds like DD may be building a war chest of savings so he can start his own business, aka the "fork in the road." As long as it truely is only several years before he can step back, and hand the day-to-day operations to someone else, it'll be "worth it." But if DD's "risky path" ends up being a life long obsession then SD's thoughts are dead on.

Stereodude

Not really a
Sounds like DD may be building a war chest of savings so he can start his own business, aka the "fork in the road." As long as it truely is only several years before he can step back, and hand the day-to-day operations to someone else, it'll be "worth it." But if DD's "risky path" ends up being a life long obsession then SD's thoughts are dead on.
How many self-employed people running their own business do you know who aren't always working nearly 24/7?

LunarMist

Self-employed and running your own business are not necessarily the same thing.
I have no idea what David does nowadays though. I recall he worked for a construction company at one point.

Stereodude

Not really a
Self-employed and running your own business are not necessarily the same thing.
I have no idea what David does nowadays though. I recall he worked for a construction company at one point.
Which is probably why I had two conditions to be met.

Handruin

Administrator
How many self-employed people running their own business do you know who aren't always working nearly 24/7?

This. A guy I know was working so many hours trying to kickstart his business he basically had a heart attack. He has since cut back a bunch and has hired more help and is doing well. He works incredibly hard and it has paid off for him at the expense of his health.

ddrueding

Fixture
The riskier path does involve forming a company with some friends. We'd have enough money to start properly, and enough staff to prevent burn-out. The money would be 3x-5x the current, and working with friends on projects I'm interested in appeals to me. The reason for the extra work now is to confirm the long-term viability of the new project before taking the money and committing to the thing, therefore letting my current gig go.

I have a good thing at the minute, not something I'd easily find again, so caution seems the best route.