Windows 10

Stereodude

Not really a
I have been using Windows 10 for over 2 and half years. Looks like a great program. But when I started I didn't understand this version clearly. Now everything is okey and enjoying it.
Thanks for joining our forum to share your 2.5 years of first hand expertise and experience on Windows 10. I am going to sleep better tonight knowing it's passed your rigorous testing.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Thanks for joining our forum to share your 2.5 years of first hand expertise and experience on Windows 10. I am going to sleep better tonight knowing it's passed your rigorous testing.

I must be doing it wrong, using Windows 10 as an OS.

LunarMist

For nearly two years now new hardware has been locked out of supporting any Windows OS other than 10.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Looks like 1809 is a heap of trouble.

Reports of profiles being deleted and borked Intel audio drivers.

LunarMist

Newtun

Storage is nice, especially if it doesn't rotate
I suppose that is an issue for people that use the Documents or Pictures fodders. I wonder if it affects anyone using disk partitions or NADS.
I'm still on the Win 10 Creationist version with a few updates in April.
Since those are kind of Windows "default locations" to save documents or pictures, I would assume that there are a lot of "ordinary" people that could have been fodder for this disastrous bug. Hopefully, not too many of them actually had gotten that "(in)security update" installed.

Newtun

Storage is nice, especially if it doesn't rotate
I got my Win10 update today; I backed up the Docs and Pix folders first. Twice. But they were still there after the reboot.

But I don't use that PC much; I mainly have it in case family or friends have Windows questions. (And it had a big rebate.)

LunarMist

Win 10 is killing me again. When I change the time in the Date and Time settings only the minutes are available. There seems to be no way to set the clock accurately. It is always about 25 seconds off.
How can MS mess up something as simple as a clock? :frusty:

sdbardwick

Storage is cool
Get to control panel and select Date and Time:

Windows Key, con, <enter>, click Date and Time

or
Windows Key, timedate.cpl <enter>

or, in search box
timedate.cpl <enter>

LunarMist

Get to control panel and select Date and Time:

Windows Key, con, <enter>, click Date and Time

or
Windows Key, timedate.cpl <enter>

or, in search box
timedate.cpl <enter>

Thanks! It seems MS hides all the old stuff. I should have looked in the CP.

LunarMist

@LM, any reason you're not allowing Windows to use NTP to set the local time? (so that the time is accurate to a few msec).

Doesn't that require the internet connection? I don't want to use the Wi-Fi in certain countries. I've disabled it in the BIOS.
I've also noticed that the internet time does not quite match my GPS, which should be quite accurate when receiving 18 satellites, including the Glasnost.

fb

Storage is cool
The Glasnost was happening back in 1985, maybe that is the reason for the difference?

Don't you have a atomic clock in the vicinity you can use as a time server?

LunarMist

The Glasnost was happening back in 1985, maybe that is the reason for the difference?

Don't you have a atomic clock in the vicinity you can use as a time server?

Isn't it the point that each satellite is an atomic clock? Apparently they receive the GLONASS signals in addition to the GPS.

Handruin

Administrator
Your link goes nowhere again.

High quality NTP stratum 0 sources are often times GPS, atomic clocks or radio clocks. They are managing time just as well as you might expect. Here is a copy and paste from Wikipedia on how Microsoft manages time:

All Microsoft Windows versions since Windows 2000 include the Windows Time service ("W32Time"),[22] which has the ability to synchronize the computer clock to an NTP server.

The W32Time service was originally implemented for the purpose of the Kerberos version 5 authentication protocol, which required time to be within 5 minutes of the correct value to prevent replay attacks. The version in Windows 2000 and Windows XP only implements SNTP, and violates several aspects of the NTP version 3 standard.[23] Beginning with Windows Server 2003 and Windows Vista, a compliant implementation of full NTP is included.[24] Microsoft says that the W32Time service cannot reliably maintain sync time to the range of 1 to 2 seconds.[25] If higher accuracy is desired, Microsoft recommends using a different NTP implementation.[26]

Windows Server 2016 now supports 1 ms time accuracy under certain operating conditions.[27]

Stereodude

Not really a
Your link goes nowhere again.

High quality NTP stratum 0 sources are often times GPS, atomic clocks or radio clocks. They are managing time just as well as you might expect. Here is a copy and paste from Wikipedia on how Microsoft manages time:
But you don't understand. 1-2 seconds of absolute accuracy is just not good enough for him. I mean glancing down in the system tray to see what time it is VERY important.

Handruin

Administrator
Hey, I'm actually kind of a fan of accurate time so I'm not going to poke fun here. I get that the practical point of being off by 1-2 seconds is no big deal but if you want multiple systems with logs and historical data to be accurate to paint a picture of what is happening, having decent time consistency and accuracy on the clock is a nice thing to have.

LunarMist

Hey, I'm actually kind of a fan of accurate time so I'm not going to poke fun here. I get that the practical point of being off by 1-2 seconds is no big deal but if you want multiple systems with logs and historical data to be accurate to paint a picture of what is happening, having decent time consistency and accuracy on the clock is a nice thing to have.

I lost my post, but the gist is that I was mainly concerned about being off by 25 sec. and now I can set it manually with sufficient precision (to the second).
It is good to know that the time server system has improved. However, when I connected the LAN to the notebook MS tried to update everything so I reverted back to May. I will try to update the computer in December and see how that works.

Stereodude

Not really a
I lost my post, but the gist is that I was mainly concerned about being off by 25 sec. and now I can set it manually with sufficient precision (to the second).
It is good to know that the time server system has improved. However, when I connected the LAN to the notebook MS tried to update everything so I reverted back to May. I will try to update the computer in December and see how that works.
How long did it take to get off 25 seconds? The clock on my Lenovo T470s drifts pretty quickly. More than a minute per month. Windows 7 won't let you use internet time (NTP) if you log into a domain.

Stereodude

Not really a
Are you sure about that?
I know it prefers one or more of the DCs as the NTP source, but surely you can set an external NTP source? (even if it means doing it via GPO).
I'm pretty sure. It's greyed out in Windows 7 on my work computer and you can't enable it. There's some message about the computer being connected to a domain.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
I have the clock on my computer set 10 minutes ahead, so when I'm farting around the net before work, I'll have time to get ready to leave for work.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I'm pretty sure. It's greyed out in Windows 7 on my work computer and you can't enable it. There's some message about the computer being connected to a domain.

Sounds like the sysadmins have left the default settings in place then. (disable NTP client access, have the client sync with the nearest DC or locate the PDC). You can create GPOs that can either configure NTP settings for clients, or allow clients to set them. (The former being the preferred), alternatively you can set everything manually in the registry...

Stereodude

Not really a
Sounds like the sysadmins have left the default settings in place then. (disable NTP client access, have the client sync with the nearest DC or locate the PDC). You can create GPOs that can either configure NTP settings for clients, or allow clients to set them. (The former being the preferred), alternatively you can set everything manually in the registry...
So I didn't remember correctly. The tab is just missing. I believe I have edited the registry correctly to make it all work using the pool.ntp.org servers.

Stereodude

Not really a
I clean installed the 1809 build of Windows 10 on my Dell XPS 13 tonight. I see Microsoft has gone full on stupid and now forces you to answer 3 easily socially engineered questions in case you forget your password. Random gibberish answers eliminated that gaping security hole.

LunarMist

I clean installed the 1809 build of Windows 10 on my Dell XPS 13 tonight. I see Microsoft has gone full on stupid and now forces you to answer 3 easily socially engineered questions in case you forget your password. Random gibberish answers eliminated that gaping security hole.

Why would that be needed on the Dell version of the OS? Isn't it activated automatically by the BOIS?

Stereodude

Not really a
Why would that be needed on the Dell version of the OS? Isn't it activated automatically by the BOIS?
Yes it activated as Windows 10 Pro automatically by the BIOS, but I don't see the connection you're trying to make.

After Windows 10 asks you for your name and your password (setting up the PC) it makes you pick 3 security questions and give answers for use in resetting your password if you forgot it. Of course the options for the questions are the sort that someone could find the answers for using the typical person's social media accounts or they're questions you won't remember the answer to. For example I have no idea what I would have answered was my favorite movie in 2002 or 2007 or even 2013.

LunarMist

Yes it activated as Windows 10 Pro automatically by the BIOS, but I don't see the connection you're trying to make.

After Windows 10 asks you for your name and your password (setting up the PC) it makes you pick 3 security questions and give answers for use in resetting your password if you forgot it. Of course the options for the questions are the sort that someone could find the answers for using the typical person's social media accounts or they're questions you won't remember the answer to. For example I have no idea what I would have answered was my favorite movie in 2002 or 2007 or even 2013.

The last time I went to a film in the US was in the 1970s. ;)