Sprinkler Controllers

Stereodude

Not really a
So the sprinkler controller that was installed when my house was built died last right before I blew out the system for the year. It was a Weathermatic unit and 10 years old. I only have 4 zones, but have delusions of maybe adding a 5th (eventually). It looks like I can get a digital controller that supports up to 6 zones for about $50 with the Rain Bird SST600IN.

Are any of you using the fancy models with WiFi/IoT? Do you find the extra "smarts" to be of any use?

Newtun

Storage is nice, especially if it doesn't rotate
As a confirmed IoT Luddite, I see little benefit to a "smart" sprinkler controller, other than for the amusement of the "script kiddie" next door to run your sprinklers constantly, or add the Thing to a DDOS/etc. botnet.

Stereodude

Not really a
I'm right there with you on IoT things. I generally avoid "smart" appliances and other devices because I'm pretty sure having them isn't real smart.

Up until it died unexpectedly I was happy with my current Weathermatic electronic controller. I see no value in "smart home" integration like Alexa voice control. At most having some tie in to the weather forecast might be a nice to have feature, something like where it's very likely about to rain in a few hours it won't run. However, weather forecasts are not 100% right, and you have a lot of potential security risk downsides.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I just go with whatever the landscaper recommends. I have no IoT ANYTHING and will avoid them if possible. You don't need some hack or malfunction that floods everything and racks up the bills.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
As a confirmed IoT Luddite, I see little benefit to a "smart" sprinkler controller, other than for the amusement of the "script kiddie" next door to run your sprinklers constantly, or add the Thing to a DDOS/etc. botnet.

This. So much this. I'm pretty much against all IoT products.

The sprinkler controller in my house is nearly impossible to figure out how to program. Very archaic but it's nearly 20 years old, I'm sure they are better now.

The automatic sprinkler system at my house fell apart less than 10 years after the install. One of the electric valves sprung a major leak and several of the drip lines have holes in them. I just shut the system off and manually water with a hose as needed. It's just not worth the effort/cost to fix the system.

General advice I'd give anybody installing a new irrigation system is to just use thick wall PVC pipe with drip fittings. Forget the flexible pipe and "spaghetti" thin flexible drip pipe it just falls apart/fails too quickly.