I do want to buy a used car

ddrueding

Fixture
Yup. Just a temp car until the Model 3 shows up. At that point either the wife will take it or I'll sell it on.

I should sell my 2011 A3, but I'm tempted to make it a project car for a high performance EV conversion.

ddrueding

Fixture
My brother is mulling doing the same thing with his 1993 Mark VIII once the engine goes. I think it would make a great EV conversion.

Other than that it weighs several tons ;)

I've actually already reached out to the folks at EV West about the idea; basically gutting it and putting in ~1000hp.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Looking at a 2004 BMW 325i, it has the electro actuated clutch and 6 speed stick and paddles, constant mesh, no torque converter. Apprently one of the main fail points in terms of reliability.

Lena

What is this storage?
I sold my 2006 Nissan Altima 3 years ago...worst decision of my entire life! The car had a roof and was super easy to install an aftermarket stereo. I don't know what in the world i was thinking!

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I sold my 2006 Nissan Altima 3 years ago...worst decision of my entire life! The car had a roof and was super easy to install an aftermarket stereo. I don't know what in the world i was thinking!

I hope it had a roof. :lol: Maybe you meant something else.

Stereodude

Not really a
I hope it had a roof. :lol: Maybe you meant something else.
Hey, maybe all the other cars were convertibles. :p

I guess i stand to be corrected...i meant an automotive-sunroof. Old age seems to be sipping in :mrgrn::mrgrn:
You probably mean a moonroof. Was it glass or a metal body panel?

Did you replace your Altima or are you without a car now?

LunarMist

I've had vehicles with the sunroof or moonroof or whatever for over 25 years and they are pretty much worse than useless.
Manufacturers throw them into high option packages to jack up their profits.

Stereodude

Not really a
I've had vehicles with the sunroof or moonroof or whatever for over 25 years and they are pretty much worse than useless.
Manufacturers throw them into high option packages to jack up their profits.
I very much like the moonroof in my current Audi. It was somewhat dark glass from the factory and I had a fairly dark ceramic tint added to it. I never have to close the shade due to heat. I like the extra light in the car and I often tilt it open for some extra airflow.

Lena

What is this storage?

I am unfortunately without car.

LunarMist

You are still in EU (Germany)? In SoCal or many other places it is very difficult without one.

Lena

What is this storage?
You are still in EU (Germany)? In SoCal or many other places it is very difficult without one.

I myself travel a lot to Germany, however, i am not permanently based here. I have family here but i will be going back to the US in a few weeks time. Can't wait!!

Lena

What is this storage?
I very much like the moonroof in my current Audi. It was somewhat dark glass from the factory and I had a fairly dark ceramic tint added to it. I never have to close the shade due to heat. I like the extra light in the car and I often tilt it open for some extra airflow.

Sounds like a dream...maybe you could share a photo? Well of course i respect your privacy if you wouldn't want to share but seeing it would make my heart skip faster :eek:wneddnce:

Lena

What is this storage?
I am still going to beg for a photo :bglaugh::bglaugh: no am joking. I am assuming no answer means "learn to respect privacy Lena".

Stereodude

Not really a
AFAIK, Handruin has a S4 too. I'll see about posting a picture later. I don't have one I can immediately link in.

MickL

What is this storage?
I'd like to buy an old black BMW like in Taxi movie (french one) :eek:wneddnce:

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
The 2004 325i started having some issues (I believe its related to exhaust manifold leak). Its got a 182k miles on it now.

Anyway I had played with the Capital 1 auto navigator option, but the last time around it offered me garbage in terms of financing. So I tried out Carvana online. It's an initial soft pull on credit like the cap 1 offering, but Carvana came back with a much more generous loan offering, and zero down.

So now I await the delivery next week of a 2016 Lexus IS 300 AWD with 48k miles, in Redline red. Its optioned out pretty well, with the staggered 18" wheels from their f sport model, heated/ventilated seats etc. Only thing I wish it had was the heated steering wheel. Carfax shows it was a one owner lease with dealership maintenance.

Once its delivered I can take it for a quick test drive, and if I chose to take possession, then I have a week/400 miles as a trial period. During that time I can return it no questions asked or swap it for another vehicle.

LunarMist

Is there any additional warranty on it? 48 months/48K is usually the end of the factory warranty.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Yes, I accepted delivery on Saturday afternoon, the driver called to confirm delivery 35 minutes prior to scheduled time. Car is very nice, a great upgrade from my 325. Heated seats are great, however the cold wheel is not up to par with the rest of the car. I checked back on the website last night and there was an arctic gray IS 300 with additional features from mine, similar mileage, for $300 less. The additionals being heated/power adjustable steering wheel, parking sensors and auto wipers.

I got on their online chat when they opened at 8am this morning and requested a vehicle swap for the silver car. Absolutely no problem at all with the transfer, agent agreed that it was a nice upgrade, confirmed a few things and was all done within 15 minutes, new car is being delivered on Friday. Frankly its just astonishing how stress free it is compared to a dealership experience.

I haven't ordered snows yet, but will be going with studded Hakka 9s in squared 225/40 18s. The uphill driveway had a fair bit of ice on it yesterday and with the AWD even with just the all seasons on it got up no problem at all, the drive is 70% biased to the rear, and can send up to 50% to the front.

LunarMist

I get the feeling that there are snow and ice events where you live. The coldest I recall having to drive was about 18F in the US Midwest. I suppose in really cold climes it can be an issue, but I would probably be wearing gloves.
I always wished for a cooled steering wheel. I've literally burned my hands on a steering wheel in the desert southwest.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Its one of those things that you dont miss if you've never experienced it. I had a rental Altima with it when we had the super cold snap a couple of weeks ago and it was very comforting. Obviously we are talking about first world problems here.

LunarMist

I hope it is a good one.

Incidentally, I have to attend a meeting in the frozen tundra of Pennsylvania. I'm not sure what car I will get, but of all the rental Altimas I've driven, none had heat. :(

Stereodude

Not really a
I hope it is a good one.

Incidentally, I have to attend a meeting in the frozen tundra of Pennsylvania. I'm not sure what car I will get, but of all the rental Altimas I've driven, none had heat. :(
Oh really? The rental car place removed the heater core and the blower motor? :unsure:

That's a new one to me... :confused:

LunarMist

I drove all over the PA, not sure where since the GPS was confused for an hour. There are numerous two-lane back roads and old homes, buildings, etc. Participants were not amused. The airport was on delay as well. :(
The car surely did not have a powered steering wheel. However, it was not too cold except the next morning which was freezing and some ices on the car and road.

Stereodude

Not really a
I drove all over the PA, not sure where since the GPS was confused for an hour. There are numerous two-lane back roads and old homes, buildings, etc. Participants were not amused. The airport was on delay as well. :(
The car surely did not have a powered steering wheel. However, it was not too cold except the next morning which was freezing and some ices on the car and road.
How did you know where to drive is the GPS was confused? Or did you just randomly drive in circles for an hour to the amusement of the participants?

LunarMist

The GPS kept sending me to the address, but it was somewhere else in three places. It's rather bizarre.
I doubt there will be a next time, but I would choose a different hotel.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
So I finally ended up with a 2015 GS 350 Awd with less than 30k miles, meteor blue mica with flaxen interior. The IS was just too compact if there was more than just me riding. Definitely a big step up in interior and ride quality, and the 300 or so HP from the 3.5 V6 is plenty. Will keep this one until she dies.

ddrueding

Fixture
Rented a Model X P100D for the last week while visiting my parents. The power and techno-wizardry were all I'd expected and more. Even recharging mid-trip was no big deal (322mi/h, and it told me how long to charge so I could reach my desto).

The only disappointing thing was the size and ride. I'd forgotten how stiff they need to make SUVs to prevent them from leaning over in corners. The Model S I'd test driven was much better. I can only imagine how good the Model 3 with performance is, though I didn't place the order and asked for my deposit back. Just can't put that much money there for now.

LunarMist

The crappy ride and stupidly bad doors are just some of the issues with that expensive X clunker.
Buy a normal SUV and save money that will more than pay for the cost of the gas.
Or wait a few years and get an electric from the established luxury auto makers.

ddrueding

Fixture
A) All SUVs have a bad ride or terrible handling. That is physics. Between the two bad ride is the better option. Just don't get an SUV if you care about driving.
B) The doors are absurd, but fun for the first week.
C) Nothing performs day to day like an electric. I've driven 911 Turbos and GT-Rs. Nothing launches like an electric.

That said, I'm now looking into building an electric drivetrain to put into something. There are lots of turn-key electric systems, but they are all <200HP/500lb-ft. It does seem like I'll need to roll my own.

Handruin

Administrator
The crappy ride and stupidly bad doors are just some of the issues with that expensive X clunker.
Buy a normal SUV and save money that will more than pay for the cost of the gas.
Or wait a few years and get an electric from the established luxury auto makers.

Have you actually been in one? My buddy has the Model X and the ride is not crappy nor are the doors bad. I wouldn't personally buy one because it doesn't appeal to me but I can appreciate all the tech it offers and a genuine quality ride. There are fit and finish issues with his X but overall it's solid.