HOT

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
And today's forecast for Brisbane, Queensland, Australia is a nice sunny 29C day.... (84.2F). A lot of people have headed to the local beaches to cool off...

FYI, It's the middle of freakin winter and we should be having an expected temp of 21-23C (70-74F).

Handruin

Administrator
It's about 94F here today. We had some wild thunderstorms yesterday afternoon.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
How was the film festival? I've been meaning to go but every year I forget about it until it is already over.

I don't mind the heat or humidity. It just doesn't bother me any more.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I stayed inside most of the weekend with the HVAC at 20.5°C. I've been sick since Thai food on Friday, which does not help.

LunarMist

Damn. I don't think it's ever been that cold in my bedrooms, at least not when I was in the same country. I keep everything 20.5-22.0°C all year around.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
I turned my heat on yesterday for the first time this fall after it was 58F in my bedroom.

I turned it on last Thursday when it felt to 61°F in my bedroom. I maintain it at 62.6°F. While I'm capable to endure lower temperatures, I know by experience that my chances to fall sick increase when I sleep at less than 60°F.

My bedroom still is the only room I've started heating. Other rooms all are above 60°F, except my living room where it's 57°F.

Last edited:

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Ho should be good for the photo weather, no?

As long as there is no rain, it should be good. I'd rather have it cold than warm. A quick weather check for eastern Utah & Colorado show lows in the low 40-50F so the A.M. will be a bit chilly, then warm up. I want it colder. Bit of snow on peaks even better.

Newtun

Storage is nice, especially if it doesn't rotate
It's hot today, for Virginia in mid-February. 83° F at about 2 p.m. Tomorrow's high is forecast to be about 53°.

LunarMist

It's 95-96°F tomorrow and most of next week at Indian Wells. I'm mentally sweating already. :crap:

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Highest temp. I win.

117F/47C today.

No wait. I lose!!! It's not even July yet! /facepalm

EDIT: Official high of 119F at Sky Harbor International Airport, Phoenix, AZ.

Last edited:

LunarMist

Have you personally seen anything melting outside of a car? That street sign is pretty dramatic.

It's really the paint that would be migrating. We'd have to see before and after images to know if that event is related to recent high heat or an accumulation of factors.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Have you been to Death Valley when it is in the low 50°Cs? At least it is a dry heat.

Nope. Never been to the States at all: On the list of countries I'd like to go to, it's around 125th. Giiven that I average roughly one new country a decade, it might be a little while yet.

Hottest I have experienced was a mere 47 in the Western Australian Wheatbelt, followed by a couple of 46s, one in Port Agusta (which would surprise no-one), the other in, of all places, Ballarat - which is renowned Australia-wide for being cold!

LunarMist

Nope. Never been to the States at all: On the list of countries I'd like to go to, it's around 125th. Giiven that I average roughly one new country a decade, it might be a little while yet.

Hottest I have experienced was a mere 47 in the Western Australian Wheatbelt, followed by a couple of 46s, one in Port Agusta (which would surprise no-one), the other in, of all places, Ballarat - which is renowned Australia-wide for being cold!

I thought perhaps you had been here in the 20th century.

LunarMist

The scary part is that indoor temperature. It must have been awful with the humidity. I usually keep it 11 or 12 °F lower than that.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
The scary part is that indoor temperature. It must have been awful with the humidity. I usually keep it 11 or 12 °F lower than that.
It was awful. My normal preference is low 70s when I'm not active, and mid 60s when I'm doing chores or other physical activity. Unfortunately, my A/C was going full tilt all day. That was as low as it was going to get. If I oversized the A/C so I would get decent cooling on outlier days like that, it would be cycling on and off constantly in "regular" hot weather.

I'm looking into getting a geothermal heating/cooling system in the long run. Given that the hot side would be at a relatively constant underground temperature regardless of air temperature, it should be able to do a better job on really hot days.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Why not insulate your house better? It would pay dividends no matter what else you did.
That's also on the list of things to do. It's a brick house, so I think the only option is to pump foam insulation in. Unfortunately, they have to make a bunch of holes to do that.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
For a multi wythe brick building in an environment that has a significant number of freezing days in a year you want EIFS. You do not want to insulate the interior of the brick.