Cold

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Not that it's been that cold around here, but we received 45cm of white shit during the past 24 hours and we expect another 5cm to 10cm before tomorrow's afternoon. Apparently, it's the largest amount of white shit in a 24 hours period since people started measuring this in Montréal. Downtown Montréal was paralysed for much of the day.

Getting my car out of the igloo that felt above it was fun. Took me about 25 minutes before I could move it out of the glacier on the side of the road where I left it this morning. No, I don't have any picture.

We got about 12 inches early in the week and about 4 inches last night/today. Roads were very greasy with some slush on top of an icy base. Sure was nice being able to push the 4 wheel drive button on the Suburban and drive out of the pile that the street plow had piled up in front of our driveway. Getting my Elantra out took plenty more digging. Still awaiting the studded Hakka 7s for the Suburban.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The previous big snowfall, we had almost 18" of snow. Last night, more like 3". I drive with Hakka R tires, but they are 3 years-old, so far from as efficient as they were during the previous winters. I need a new car. I'm able to drive in winter conditions with this one, but it requires a lot of focus.

ddrueding

Fixture
-30C yesterday in Moscow, and +5C today. I can only imagine what the roads will be like after it freezes again tonight. Lots of Youtube videos, to be sure.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Tomorrow, it will be colder here than in most major cities of Alaska (Juneau, Anchorage, Fairbanks), colder than in WhiteHorse in Yukon, colder than the southern part of Elsemere's Island and also colder than most of the inhabited parts of Groenland.

Good thing I don't like heat.

getimg__4__art-8-30710.jpg

Last edited:

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
The Montreal forecast calls for a low of -22°F on Wednesday (here in NYC it'll be a comparatively balmy 15°F). I don't like heat much myself, but these kinds of temps are starting to get a bit out of my comfort zone.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Extremes are no good[/I][/I]d for the sensitive and elderly.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Last night, a city located at roughly 6 hours drive from where I live (Rouyn-Noranda, in Québec) was the coldest spot on Earth. The temperature dropped to -43C. It was colder than anywhere in Siberia, colder than in the middle of the Northwest Territories, even colder than in Vostok, Antarctica. Here, the temp only dropped to -30C. I admit it was a tad uncomfortable outside.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Last night, a city located at roughly 6 hours drive from where I live (Rouyn-Noranda, in Québec) was the coldest spot on Earth. The temperature dropped to -43C. It was colder than anywhere in Siberia, colder than in the middle of the Northwest Territories, even colder than in Vostok, Antarctica. Here, the temp only dropped to -30C. I admit it was a tad uncomfortable outside.

-30°C is cold enough. Everything freezes.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
What special precautions does one need to take in temperatures like that to keep the car and house going?
Are you talking about -30°C or -55°C?

At -30°C, you probably need an engine block heater so the car will start (or use an electric car instead which should be good at any temperature the batteries function at, even as low as -40°C for LiFePO4). At -55°C you don't drive because the tires will likely be cold enough to crack. As for homes, usually the heating system/insulation is matched to the expected temperature extremes. If we get much under about -20°C, our heating system will not be able to keep the indoor temperatures comfortable without supplementary electric heating, but then again it rarely gets under -10°C in NYC. It really wouldn't be that difficult to retrofit to deal with much colder temperatures. Just superinsulate everywhere, including the attic, install triple-pane windows, and perhaps upgrade the heating system.

Going outside in extreme cold is actually the larger problem. I've had my thermoelectric test chamber down to -50°C. Just feeling those kinds of temps with my hands for a few seconds is brutal. I couldn't imagine being outside for long when it's like that. Breathing actually becomes a problem when it gets cold enough.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks; I was talking about -30C.

The coldest I've been in is about -9.5C in Connecticut in Feb 2009. Spent barely a few mins outside, hotel room to car, car to office and back. Somebody else was driving (thankfully). Saw many cars kissing poles and trees.

I can imagine how catastrophic it can be to have a failed heating system at home, or to run out of heating oil.

I'd imagine engine oil turns into a gel. No idea how gasoline behaves at those temperatures. If my recollection of Alistair McLean's book Ice Station Zebra (Howard Hughes' favorite film) is correct, gasoline still is a liquid at extreme temperatures. I've heard truckers never switch off their engines, idling them through the night at truck stops. What a waste of fuel.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I did not even zipped my coat all week long during my 7 minutes walk from the spot where I park my car to the metro station. I haven't seen anyone else do this though. I guess I'm the most frost-resistant person in Montréal's area.

My car didn't like the -30C, but it started anyway after a few complains.

I've spent three days without heating during the '98 freezing rain crisis. It was in January, so the temperature dropped well below the freezing point during the night and close to the freezing point during the day. I admit I was a bit relieved when electricity came back at the end of the third day, but I did not suffered from hypothermia.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
It's almost 8PM and right now it's 59 degrees outside. In January. A mile from Lake Michigan. The rain is a little cold, but I sat out and read on my balcony for a while this evening just for the novelty of doing it.

ddrueding

Fixture
Whatever it is, we should probably get ready for more.

This is why my house is insulated 3x better than the others in my area and my heater more efficient. We had what would have been considered a nasty cold snap last month and my energy usage barely moved.

paugie

Storage is cool
It gets colder here as is usual for February, winds from China blow down from the north. My wife hates it, but I am comfortable at 18deg C., only in the mornings, though. The noon temp is around 26deg C.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
18degC isn't colder, it's fresher. Cold doesn't start before water turns to ice.

I'm glad for you that the temperature is in a confortable range this time of the year. I pity you when it climbs above 30.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
If it was, my lack of sensitivity to cold would have harmed or weaken my body and I would have been sick. I haven't. I'm just tougher than most to cold temperatures.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The best circumstances are around 25C and modest levels of wind and humidity. Also acceptable: 35C-ish and surrounded by chicks in bikinis.