Something Random

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
We'll be there to support you in your misery during the hard time you're about to enter.

There is some technical support, but the assumption is that everyone knows how to use Apple systems.
I have a laptop and a smartphone, so there is not much need for the tablet in my work. I understand that field sales force or monitors, etc. may have good use for them.
I'd rather have a new ultrabooker laptop. My laptop is about four years old with the Core 2 Dugo and a battery that lasts one hour now.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Appparently I am on the list to be forced into an iPad. :crap:

They work pretty well as coasters.

Really, they aren't completely worthless. They run apps. The apps do things. I suspect a lot of the stuff that a typical office worker does can be done just fine on an ipad. The ipad just has all these silly and arbitrary limitations and no particular redeeming qualities.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks to everyone for the Fathers Day greetings! :-DAnd Happy Fathers Day to all the other fathers.

LunarMist

Thanks to everyone for the Fathers Day greetings! :-DAnd Happy Fathers Day to all the other fathers.

It was rather strange this weekend. On two occasions store clerks wished me a happy fathers day, yet I was alone. :dunno:

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Today I learned that the ASP.NET developer I work with has no idea what ASP.NET actually does or how it works.

That's amazingly common among all software development shops I've had experience with. I've interviewed developers that don't have the slightly clue how to read or write any code.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Today I learned that the ASP.NET developer I work with has no idea what ASP.NET actually does or how it works.
Like TW, I've found a lot of developers that only do windows programming with .NET (be it desktop or ASP.NET) to have a lower understanding of the overall architecture and how things work underneath. Even when configuring the servers the application to run on, most of less knowledge on server setup and maintenance than most fresh out of the mill MCSEs (or whatever they are called these days).

Mind you a lot of PHP devs (and I do acknowledge there are some really good PHP devs) are also in the same boat. very little understanding of the overall scheme of things...

Umm... I think why I realise why I hate web development so much...

I guess that's one advantage I've got over many, I've spend years in support and technical roles setting up servers/lans in sysadmin roles, when I bring that knowledge with my programming knowledge means I tend to have less issues with the code I write. (I understand how my little bit of code fits into the larger world).

Mercutio

MCSEs aren't developers. They're implementation guys if anything. I wouldn't really EXPECT any flavor of Windows admin to understand a development platform, be it Python or Ruby or ASP.NET any more than I'd expect a developer to build out a rack.
It definitely does feel weird to me that I'm having to actually explain what .NET is and the process model and how all that interacts with a database and everything to someone who has been writing code for decades. Like, exactly how point and drool are these things?

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
MCSEs aren't developers. They're implementation guys if anything.
Sorry for the confusion, but it was more a statement of how developers know less about server setup and the whole infrastructure picture than a sysadmin... I would expect a software developer to have a good understanding of the whole ecosystem in which they are developing more than a fresh sysadmin any day... Sadly that does not seem the case... (I've met windows developers that didn't know that 3rd party applications could actually authenticate users against Active Directory, and that they could store user configuration items in AD by extending it's schema).
It definitely does feel weird to me that I'm having to actually explain what .NET is and the process model and how all that interacts with a database and everything to someone who has been writing code for decades. Like, exactly how point and drool are these things?
With ASP.NET it's very scary... When I did Web Programming at Uni, one assessment piece was developing a database driven ASP.NET web application with signup forms, logins/authentication, dynamic contents, dynamic menus all interacting with MSSQL, and one of the assessment criteria was that you were only allowed 1 line of C# code in the entire setup. The whole thing had to be built using point/drag/drop/click/properties only... So, with ASP.NET you can build an entire database driven website without touching 1 line of C#/VB.NET, all that is needed is the CSS files for design, and VisualStudio and ASP.NET will do the rest... (Note: VS wasn't outputting any C# code via wizards either, it was all using the ASP.NET functions/placeholders).

Is that point and drool enough for you?

PS. Won't start on other platforms like drupal, etc...

Mercutio

John McAffee has some wisdom to share with all of us. Wisdom that is not particularly safe for work.

[video=youtube;bKgf5PaBzyg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKgf5PaBzyg&feature=player_embedded#![/video]

LunarMist

I cannot seem to find the thread, but apparently he was exported to the US eventually. I guess the small countries didn't have enough cause or authority to extradite.

ddrueding

Fixture
I think the case was just vague and messy enough, and him just famous enough, to avoid it going anywhere. He does seem to be quite the character, though.

Mercutio

From what I read, he literally did retire to a South American life of hookers and blow. He's been living the dream for the last 15 years.

Mercutio

Aussie and Canadian politics always strike me as incredibly sane when compared to those of the USA. Even your reactionary blowhards are downright reasonable compared to ours.

That said our reactionary blowhardsSupreme Court did something today that will be seen fondly through the lens of history. Given the make up of our highest court, the outcome really was in question. I really wonder what kind of horse trading happened to get to that outcome.

Stereodude

Not really a
So, some nice enterprising individuals decided to cut the catalytic converter out from under my wife's car when she parked it in the lot of a store for a few hours. :cursin:

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
WTF, what value is there in a catalytic converter on the black market?

VIN plates, rego plates, etc I can understand, but a catalytic converter?

And how did someone not notice a couple of people doing major work on a car? What about CCTV cameras? Surely there are cameras on the parking lot?

Stereodude

Not really a
WTF, what value is there in a catalytic converter on the black market?

VIN plates, rego plates, etc I can understand, but a catalytic converter?
Well, there are precious metals in them. Apparently they have a scrap value of $50-100 or so. It's not that uncommon of a crime in the US.

And how did someone not notice a couple of people doing major work on a car? What about CCTV cameras? Surely there are cameras on the parking lot?
With a battery operated Sawzall I bet you could easily cut it out in under a minute from under the car without jacking it up.

Mercutio

There's a decent little piece of platinum in one, I think.

One of my customers had a some meth-head saw his way in to their office a few months back. He took a VCR (part of the old security system), a jar with a bunch of loose change and an ipod that was on somebody's desk but missed the six new-in-box Thinkpads that were sitting behind the receptionist's desk.